Charles Fischer

Mr. FishDuck Ponderings: Oregon's Only Need in the Spring Transfer Portal

Like so many of you, I have been stunned at the recruiting of high school and portal transfers by the Dan Lanning staff.  Oregon is deeper at nearly every position than I have ever known following Ducks football.

So, after looking over the roster and seeing what other pundits say--I have settled on ONE position that Oregon could add to through the portal this spring. Nose Tackle

So, for the front four on the defensive line I see starting/playing:

Defensive End: Jordan Burch  (No brainer)

Defensive Tackle: Jamaree Caldwell (A big transfer brought in to replace Brandon Dorlus)

Edge: A rotation of Matayo Uiagalelei, Teitum Tuioti, and Blake Purchase

Nose Tackle:  See below...

Ohio State Defensive Tackle Transfer Target Derrick Harmon Sticks With Michigan  State | Eleven Warriors

The perfect solution would have been the Michigan State Nose Tackle, Derrick Harmon, (above) who was massive and experienced, but the former Bastard Beaver Jonathan Smith convinced him to stay.

Yet, I wonder if we even should go after a transfer?  We could hurt the locker room with so many young-guns brought in for this purpose over the last two years, and considering one upperclassman.  Here the candidates that could come from our current roster...

Nose Tackle Candidates:

Kenyon Ware-Hudson: He can play defensive tackle and has quite a bit, in addition to Nose.  But is he stout enough for Nose Tackle?

Terrance Green: Reports are this guy is huge, strong, but still raw.  Some big upside here if we play him enough to improve.

A' Mauri Washington: He is a redshirt freshman, but you have read and heard how he is huge, AND strong.  Big upside here as well.

Jericho Johnson: He was a highly coveted recruit for precisely this position. He is raw, but 330 pounds can plug the A-Gaps!

Dan Lanning's 4-2-5 MINT Defense is dependent upon a big, strong Nose Tackle who can plug both A-Gaps and require a double team each time.  Why? Oregon only has two inside linebackers in this defense, thus we need the NT to free up the fast ILBs Oregon has to make plays. 

There was a defensive tackle at Louisville who became available, but the word is that he is not the size Oregon wants for Nose Tackle.  How would you proceed?  Thoughts?

Jericho Johnson was a BIG recruit...

PODCAST: 2024 DL Jericho Johnson Commits to Oregon Ducks - Sports  Illustrated Oregon Ducks News, Analysis and More

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

In this day and age of unfettered transfers, and with Danno, like his mentor Kirby Smart at Georgia, preaching that every position is open to competition, I can see an existing player(s) being disappointed by competition coming in from the portal. But I do not see morale suffering if this happens when considering that to date, Lanning has placed a premium on character as well as talent. 

Bring in a guy like the Michigan State player Charles mentions above, and the team as a whole would be delighted with additional talent being added to the roster. Plus, a disgruntled player can make a portal exit of his own.

In today's CFB world, I would think that Sparty's Harmon may still be in play. But as our buddy Paul Finebaum recently opined, you probably will not pick up sure-thing starters from the second round of the portal.  But a guy like Martinez would fill a need at Ole Miss and Miami and will be paid accordingly. 

Michigan - Stay away from Dante!

A take on the B1G and the 2nd transfer portal. Oregon and the other 3 B1G newbies are on The Athletic's list.

THEATHLETIC.COM

In the 2023-24 cycle, 299 Big Ten football players have entered the transfer portal.

I'd be shocked if Oregon takes more than 3 guys this portal window. 

Lanning is not desperate and will only go after guys if super high potential. Also at this point he may be only looking at one year guys to minimize the locker room hurt. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Interesting Report coming out:

Oregon has reached out to former Georgia RB Andrew Paul

Andrew Paul, an exciting running back for the Georgia Bulldogs, has decided to enter the transfer portal, and the Oregon Ducks have reportedly reached out to the intriguing prospect. Paul has three years of eligibility remaining.

According to a report from On3’s Steve Wiltfong,the Ducks are one of many teams who have contacted Paul since he announced that he is leaving Georgia.

During his initial recruitment, the Ducks went hard to bring Paul to Eugene. In early 2022, Oregon head coach Dan Lanning and former RBs coach Carlos Locklyn took an in-home visit with Paul after he rushed for 2600+ yards and 40+ TDs in his senior year of high school.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Per a report, the Ducks have reached out to former Georgia RB Andrew Paul.

Report: Oregon is a leading candidate for Texas A&M transfer safety Jacoby Mathews

At 12:00 a.m. on Tuesday, April 16th, the spring transfer portal window opened, which means madness across the college football world is about to ensue. For the Oregon Ducks, there are already some storylines to follow. First, Andrew Paul — a Georgia Bulldogs running back — hit the portal, and the Ducks are on the early shortlist of candidates to bring him in.

But, perhaps even more intriguing is Jacoby Mathews, a former Texas A&M safety who told Steve Wiltfong of On3Sports that he is considering Oregon and Florida State as his next schools.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

A safety transfer for Oregon? It’s looking like the Ducks might be in the market.

On 4/16/2024 at 1:33 PM, NJDuck said:

Interesting Report coming out:

Oregon has reached out to former Georgia RB Andrew Paul

Andrew Paul, an exciting running back for the Georgia Bulldogs, has decided to enter the transfer portal, and the Oregon Ducks have reportedly reached out to the intriguing prospect. Paul has three years of eligibility remaining.

According to a report from On3’s Steve Wiltfong,the Ducks are one of many teams who have contacted Paul since he announced that he is leaving Georgia.

During his initial recruitment, the Ducks went hard to bring Paul to Eugene. In early 2022, Oregon head coach Dan Lanning and former RBs coach Carlos Locklyn took an in-home visit with Paul after he rushed for 2600+ yards and 40+ TDs in his senior year of high school.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Per a report, the Ducks have reached out to former Georgia RB Andrew Paul.

Runningback is not a position I felt Oregon wanted to pursue. 

I am surprised at Oregon pursuing both.  But the coaches know the roster and their talents a ton better than I.

Mr. FishDuck

New running backs coach, I’d be surprised if there wasn’t a portal or two in and out. Ditto with still being In the middle of spring ball, bound to be a few dudes leaving.

But hey, I’m a macro recruiting guy, tell me the final names once the portal is done.

Defensive line stay put unless a generational player available. Running backs and safeties or corners are a somewhat different story. Everything changes if we have exodus of key players in the upcoming portal.

Dan Lanning has been among the best in keeping the players they are recruiting and developing. I would not want to see the LOVE and camaraderie going around that room disturbed.

In any case Dan Lanning knows best.

So, the Daylen Austin news may factor into the portal dynamics? 

As for the nose position, I heard on one of the podcasts that Coach Tuioti is very high on Amauri at Nose....he played 80+ snaps last season and has some of the most "violent hands" Coach has seen.  

The O-live reporter, James Crepea, has a 4-deep with Caldwell starting at Nose, Amauri as backup, and Keyon at the Dorlus spot with Caldwell backing him up.

3 guys for 2 DL spots seems thin to me, too.  I expected 2 or 3 DL transfers, we have 1 so far in Caldwell.....who's next?

Oh, and F that bastard Jonathan Smith for holding on to the MSU guy....

• Thanks 1

Dan Lanning details Oregon's potential spring transfer portal activity

Oregon head coach Dan Lanning gives his insight into Oregon's spring transfer protal moves.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon head coach Dan Lanning gives his insight into Oregon's spring transfer protal moves.

• Thanks 1

How many scholarship players did we have on the roster yesterday before the portal opened?

Jordan Davis was a 3* recruit who started as a freshman at Georgia. He went on to become a 1st round draft pick. Question, will the Ducks have a freshman ready to play a man's position?

Agree size matters for Lannings defense, and Jordan at 6' 6" 340lbs, fit the bill at Georgia. Jericho has the weight, more than enough there, does he have the motor, and football mind?

I imagine once practices start one knows if a nose tackle has 'it' or not. Spring game will be an interesting test for the nose tackle position. I look forward to the analysis of the position by our astute faithful.

The guy who he will line up against at center, Iapani, came in as a freshman and made some noise. I look for Jericho to make some noise if he is going to be the, or an answer at nose tackle.

On 4/17/2024 at 12:14 PM, Solar said:

How many scholarship players did we have on the roster yesterday before the portal opened?

I'm not sure.  I am also not sure it matters anymore with modern roster management.  Convert a player to a PWO with an NIL package and you have solved your schools limit problem.  Of course, pure conjecture on my end but what seems to be happening when reading between the lines.

As far as I'm concern you can't have enough defensive backs and the safety play the last few years hasn't been that exciting.  Mathews would be a welcome addition. But I'm so sure we need more running backs.

Couple highly rated players out of CU hit the wire this week at ILB and CB, might be worth a look.

On 4/18/2024 at 11:07 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Charles guy Michigan State DT Barrow is back in the portal. Book Him, Danno!

No, this is not Derrick Harmon the massive 330 pound Nose Tackle who was in the portal before.  This Barrow fellow is only 250 pounds, and is a defensive end/edge rusher of which we are full at.

We only need a Nose Tackle if he is proven and big enough...

WWW.ON3.COM

Explore Simeon Barrow Jr.'s athlete profile at On3.com. Get news and insights into his playing career, statistics, and achievements in sports.

• Oh no! 1

Mr. FishDuck

BUMMER! And my BAD!

ESPN+ latest ranking of the top 40 players in the portal has six players listed who could fulfill Mr. FishDuck's need for a big DT/DL transfer.

No. 4 - DT Damonic Williams - TCU - 6-2/330/JR. - Williams was a 4* recruit out of California and is scheduled to visit Oregon.

No. 8 - DL Jay Tola - UCLA - 6-3/325/ SR with two seasons of eligibility. 25 starts for the Bruins.

No. 23 - DL Phillip Brooks - Indiana - 6-3/295/SR. 2023 - 11 games, 30 tackles, 7th on team.

No. 25 - DL CJ West - Kent State - 3rd team All-MAC. 2023 - 40 tackles, 2 sacks, forced fumble. High 3* recruit.

No. 30 - DL Simeon Barrow, Jr. - Michigan State - 6-3/290/SR. - Not Charles hoped for transfer from Michigan State. 2021 - 2023, 30 starts with 30 tackles and 3 sacks in each season.

No. 33 - DT - Jermayne Lola - Louisville - 6-3/310/SR. Transferred from ASU to the Cardinals - 2023 - 19 tackles, 5 TFL.

Dan Lanning and friends I am certain are tuned into these players and others not on ESPN's list. Williams out of California would be the prize signee. 

On 4/21/2024 at 9:21 AM, Jon Joseph said:

No. 4 - DT Damonic Williams - TCU - 6-2/330/JR. - Williams was a 4* recruit out of California and is scheduled to visit Oregon.

No. 8 - DL Jay Tola - UCLA - 6-3/325/ SR with two seasons of eligibility. 25 starts for the Bruins.

Now, these two are Nose Tackles!  That is what we need...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck