Charles Fischer

Major Red Flags to NFL: Would YOU Pick Caleb Williams No. 1 in the NFL Draft?

Over on the Athletic, it is being reported that NFL scouts and teams are beginning to figure out what we've known all along; Caleb Williams is a spoiled, entitled, yet incredibly talented player.  If he had an attitude like Bo Nix, then could win Super Bowls, IMHO. But don't think it will even take a year with his new team to lose the fans and the locker room.

IMHO, he will run through several NFL teams before he either locks in enough money and bows out, or finally grows and changes his ways.  Below is a little of what was written...

------------------------------------------------------------

In Bruce Feldman’s annual NFL Draft confidential file, multiple coaches and scouts questioned Williams’ NFL readiness as a person, not a player. Some choice quotes, each from a different coach/scout:

“I think Caleb has a chance to be very good, but I’m not sure about the wiring. For me, it’s how motivated he is to just win.”

“He gives off a Russell Wilson vibe with this lack of self-awareness. ‘I’m kind of above everybody.’”

“I like Caleb as a player, but the locker room part of it concerns me … he’s going to have to understand the difference in where he’s at and how he’s been treated to being the quarterback in an NFL locker room.” 

And then there was an interview on the “Pablo Torre Finds Out” podcast, in which an NFL scout is quoted worrying about Williams crying after a loss last year. The direct quote: 

"Raw emotion is great, but Caleb's thing? That was ridiculous to me. That threw up major red flags. ... I will tell you, he scares the sh—t out of a lot of NFL teams too.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Would YOU draft Caleb Williams?  You could miss the best ever, or...

Crying Caleb.jpg

Yet the writer came back and stated this was all nonsense, that Chicago will draft him No. 1 tomorrow night.  Would YOU?

Mr. FishDuck

If I need a QB and have the first pick, absolutely. QBs are always a crapshoot, but you have to take the chance. If it’s a bust you’ll still be crappy and high up in the next draft. 

• Applause 1

On 4/24/2024 at 9:18 AM, JabbaNoBargain said:

If I need a QB and have the first pick, absolutely. QBs are always a crapshoot, but you have to take the chance. If it’s a bust you’ll still be crappy and high up in the next draft. 

I wouldn't unless I was a crappy team with nothing to lose, even then I'd probably pass unless my plan was to stay crappy.

Johnny football 2.0 doesn't intrigue me.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If I owned the Raiders I would.  They should make a deal and somehow get Chicago's pick, draft him, then introduce him to his new head coach and his new roommate, Maxx Crosby.  After these introductions I foresee no problems with attitude from the rookie QB.

Maxx is tanned, rested, and ready for some attitude adjustments.

126_0080-Teddy-Swims-750x563.jpg.152cc9b39f00b8caa460979e7a4f4a1c.jpgI find it interesting that in 2024 real men still don't cry. The guy won the Heisman. The next year his team sucked. Yet you saw zero quit. He played out the end of the season like they really had something to play for.

Guys are painting their fingernails and wearing blue hair. Welcome to the new millnnium. You going to walk up to this dude and comment on his red fingernail polish. Doubt it.

Edited by Fitnessczar
  • Applause 2

I think Williams is the No.1 no-brainer pick. His college stats are the closest to what Mahomes put up at Texas Tech. 

He has a terrific arm and he can extend plays and throw accurately while on the run. In 2023 he had nowhere close to the supporting cast that Daniels had at LSU, Penix at UW, and McCarthy at Michigan. He tried to win too many games on his own last season but what choice did he have? USC but for a putrid D could and should have had three more regular season wins. Without Daniels in 2023, SC may have been on the cusp of not being bowl-eligible. 

According to his peers, he is an excellent teammate. The pantry is far from bare in Chicago for a team that had a good finish to 2023 after a terrible start. The Bears have quality receivers and will likely pick up another quality WR, Odunze perhaps, with the No. 9 pick. He will not be surrounded by junk as is often the case with 1st round QBs. 

Draft 'gurus' with excess time on their hands often manage to stare at an orange for so long that it turns into a grapefruit. 

The Bears traded the starting QB to Pitt and need a QB and Williams is the best of a quality QB draft. 

Caleb has the ability to be great and he cares enough to be able to achieve it. 

He should go #1.

• Thumbs Up 1

Great diversity of opinions here, and I love it. I completely disagree with most of you, but I enjoy seeing other perspectives and learning from others.

And we disagree without getting personal; it is rare on the web!

giphy.gif

Savor our community....

• Great post! 3
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Personally I think the QB that has the best chance to be a bust is McCarthy, I really don't understand the hype around him, doesn't have an arm as good as others, played behind an O-line that was dominant, wasn't asked to do much other than not screw up, decent mobility, but not incredible.  I would have him behind Williams, Daniels, Maye, Penix, and Nix.  I do think you draft Williams because he has the biggest chance to be the next Maholmes, incredible ability to make plays out of nothing, can also read the field and go through progressions, showed that he could carry a team on his back.

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Agreed about McCarthy, but also think Drake Mayes is going to be a big hit in a few years.

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/24/2024 at 10:15 AM, Fitnessczar said:

The next year his team sucked. Yet you saw zero quit.

This is where we disagree.

He performed on the field, but I saw a lot of “quit” on the sidelines.

In fact, I can’t remember seeing anything other than quit with Williams on the sidelines.

• Mic drop 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/24/2024 at 3:34 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

This is where we disagree.

He performed on the field, but I saw a lot of “quit” on the sidelines.

In fact, I can’t remember seeing anything other than quit with Williams on the sidelines.

I am not sure how you quit on the sidelines and then perform on the field. Nobody has a switch like that. Maybe what you saw as quit was a guy in his head figuring out what to do next. Frustration and quit are not the same thing. Guy is putting up 45 points and loosing. As was previously mentioned the guys he actually played with said he was a good teammate

Edited by Fitnessczar
  • Thumbs Up 1

Of all the top tier QBs in this draft, I think Bo is the biggest wildcard.  I can see him being a starter for a lot of years, and I can also see him being a fringe player that never does much.  Both are at play.  It really depends on where he lands.  

I am still of the opinion that Joey could have had an HOA career but he ended up at the clown show that was Detroit.  

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 4:56 PM, TexasDuck said:

I am still of the opinion that Joey could have had an HOA career but he ended up at the clown show that was Detroit.

Completely agree.  And you can now put Mariota in that category since he recently admitted he lost his confidence as Joey did.  (Because they both got the heck beaten out of them)

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/24/2024 at 4:20 PM, Fitnessczar said:

I am not sure how you quit on the sidelines and then perform on the field

It’s simple: play your heart out then completely tune out the rest of the game and the rest of your teammates.

I have played on teams with players like Williams. They try when their stats are on the line but don’t care about anything else.

His sideline demeanor is totally disinterested. 

Caleb Williams a Johnny Manziel? Johnny Football is one of the All-Time busts. 

Rookie salaries in the NFL are purposely held down so more money will be available for the veteran players. The Owners are happy with this as it helps with salary cap management. (What will a college bargained-for agreement look like? More money for experienced older athletes employed by their university?)

There is a Draft blowing in tonight and the NFL marketing crew will make certain that the draft like everything NFL, is brilliantly marketed; every team will be adding sure thing great players, right?

WRONG! On average, only one-third of the players selected in the first round will have their rookie contracts extended by the team that drafted them. A number will score in free agency with another team but 50% or more of the 1st round picks will be Not For Long. 

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Our group of CBS Sports and 247Sports writers gave their answer for most surprising draft bust

• Wow 1

On 4/24/2024 at 7:56 PM, TexasDuck said:

Of all the top tier QBs in this draft, I think Bo is the biggest wildcard.  I can see him being a starter for a lot of years, and I can also see him being a fringe player that never does much.  Both are at play.  It really depends on where he lands.  

Yeah, the start of Joey’s NFL career is similar to David Carr’s.  I think they were drafted the same year and both put into all but impossible situations for a young QB.  I honestly think both might have been very good under different circumstances 

As someone who watched every second of his college career.......I'd love to draft him at number 20 or lower........number one.....absolutely not. 

I could say a lot about his performances.....but.....I'll just say that I'am convinced that USC beat Louisville in its bowl because Williams was not the QB.

For folks that watched him......he has a lot to answer for......his stats were juiced by a coach that viewed him as the whole show. While the team lost.

His accuracy is not what everyone seems to think. He worked with probably the best WR corp in the country most of his time at USC. The offensive line was bad but it was made worse by Williams and his hold the ball, sand lot style of football. In the pros he'll face DE's every week that will have the quickness to deal with elusiveness.  His decision making......the bears may be sorry. 

As a bear fan of 50 years......they should have kept Fields.....traded down for another number 1 and taken three great players in the first round.

The McCaskeys are known to be the types that just don't want to pay except every 30 years or so to put a team together. 

He might work out......but......I think there are better bets out there. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I don't get 'This?' Daniels instead of Williams, why? Both won the Heisman Trophy but winning it from the Pac-12 recently is more difficult than winning from the SEC. Daniels set all kinds of records on O and he also lost 3 games with a surrounding cast that includes 3 WRs who will be taken in the first two rounds. 

Williams in 2023 had no WRs close to the quality of the LSU receivers. WR Singer transferring in from Arizona was supposed to light it up and did not do so; Singer has transferred to Utah. The SC OL was a sieve compared to the LSU OL. And looking at the shoot-outs in the SEC today, please stop with the SEC plays D like no other conference.

Any draft pick is a crap shoot. Especially at the QB position. See: Mac Jones. Many successful QBs have come from the lower rounds including the GOAT, 6th-round pick Tom Brady. 

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

At least one analyst is going against conventional wisdom regarding the first pick in the draft.

Makes "final plea?" This isn't a person on death row on his way to his execution, is it? Hyperbole has replaced journalism. Going over the top for clicks is today's normal. 

Here is Exhibit A to my above comment. Harbaugh is going to dump Justin Herbert for a rookie QB? Come On Man!

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

Every team picking in the Nos. 2-7 range in the 2024 NFL Draft has been rumored at some point to potentially trade out of their selection. The Chargers, who have the fifth overall pick, are no...

Please, get the annual Jock Auction over and done with.

On 4/25/2024 at 9:56 AM, fred flintstone said:

As someone who watched every second of his college career.......I'd love to draft him at number 20 or lower........number one.....absolutely not. 

I could say a lot about his performances.....but.....I'll just say that I'am convinced that USC beat Louisville in its bowl because Williams was not the QB.

For folks that watched him......he has a lot to answer for......his stats were juiced by a coach that viewed him as the whole show. While the team lost.

His accuracy is not what everyone seems to think. He worked with probably the best WR corp in the country most of his time at USC. The offensive line was bad but it was made worse by Williams and his hold the ball, sand lot style of football. In the pros he'll face DE's every week that will have the quickness to deal with elusiveness.  His decision making......the bears may be sorry. 

As a bear fan of 50 years......they should have kept Fields.....traded down for another number 1 and taken three great players in the first round. The McCaskeys are known to be the types that just don't want to pay except every 30 years or so to put a team together. 

He might work out......but......I think there are better bets out there. 

I mostly agree with all this. USC may not have had the 'best' receiver corps in CFB, but they were more than good enough to bouy the Caleb show. His scrambling antics might have worked in the PAC12. NFL defenses will not be so generous.

An SEC draft perspective.

WWW.SATURDAYDOWNSOUTH.COM

Here's an SEC guide to Round 1 of the NFL Draft.

Will Michigan break Georgia's # of players drafted in a single draft record of 15?

Will the B1G, even without the West Coast newbies and lots of picks from UW in particular, have more players selected than the SEC?

Michigan could eclipse UGA's draft record.

BLEACHERREPORT.COM

While most analysis in the aftermath of the 2024 NFL draft will be forward-looking projections, plenty of college football programs will be taking a victory…

UW is No. 2 in this prediction with 11 guys drafted. Only 1, Penix, did DeBoer bring to UW.  No wonder DeBore split and will he come close to sustaining Saban's draft prowess at Bama. 

There was a reason why Danno was the Tide's 1st choice.

Edited by Jon Joseph