FishDuck Article

Dan Lanning Is the Best Recruiter in the Country

Dan Lanning and company are the best recruiters in the country right now. Now, anyone who wants to go ahead and look at recruiting rankings will note that Oregon did not finish first in 2024, but the reality is that there are three parts to recruiting, and no single ranking encompasses them all. These three parts are high school recruitment, ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Dan Lanning and company are the best recruiters in the country right now. Now, anyone who wants to go ahead and look at recruiting rankings will...
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

David, great article and thank you. DL is an excellent recruiter and your article supports that statement. Many components must be in place to make this happen. DL also excels in building a staff that shares his vision for recruiting and recognizing talent. Together they are assembling the talent needed to bring home that first Natty.

Now its time that DL and staff learn from those handful of in game coaching mistakes that contributed to 4 three point losses. There is no taking the gambler out of coach Lanning. It really is in his DNA and I love it. Other coaches heard and learned from DeBoer's comment about recognizing and anticipating DL's tendencies.

This fan will be on the edge of my seat, biting my nails in anticipation on those critical 4th and 2 plays. Executing those gambles is difficult for the players in normal situations. Double difficult if the opponent knows what's coming.

Can't wait for the new eta of Duck football to start........

• Thumbs Up 2

The best recruiter is a tall order, considering what is occurring around the nation at the nation's elite programs.  Yet you make a great case, and adding the retention element is crucial, as anyone can check Colorado as the "prime" example. They brought in a ton of transfers, and the revolving door continues, with the 'Buffs losing many players they wished would stay.

Another element to this is his astounding rate of success with who transfer in; very, very few portal players have not worked out for Oregon which points to amazing research and vetting by the staff and in the player visits.

Lanning does not have a juggernaut like Alabama, Georgia or Ohio State....yet.  But he is succeeding at a level well above his weight class, and it has many of us fans shaking our heads at all the good fortune. The real test is if you take Division Street and all of Oregon's resources and plug in a different coach?  You do not get the same results. Lanning is exceptional!

Come to Oregon!

Lanning2_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/7/2024 at 6:19 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Now its time that DL and staff learn from those handful of in game coaching mistakes that contributed to 4 three point losses. 

I wish I could change the popular narrative of the two Washington losses last year.  Most focus on the fourth down plays, (of which Bo blew one of them, yet Stein gets the grief) but nobody takes into account THE major factor for those losses.

The second half of the first UW game and the entire second UW game was played by the Oregon defense without BOTH corner starters.  Yes the reserves were adequate, but when you consider how good Jahlil Florence and Khyree Jackson were as starters....and we only lost by three points to an extraordinary passing team?

Do you all think that our corner starters are worth at least THREE points?  I do, and I believe it is the primary component in the loss.  Against a primarily running team?  No.  But against that very skilled passing opponent--the slightest margin of talent made all the difference in a game such as that.

I should copy this off and refer to it often over the years...

UW scores early_Tom Corno.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Great article. My only critique of the stats cited is there is no way the Ducks have a portal ranking of only #10. There is NO way nine other teams did better than bring in two five star QBs, a five star receiver, elite D line players and elite DBs. 

This year Lanning finally has the players to unleash his aggressive defense on the world. With the offense being capable of surpassing even last years results, a legit championship run is within possibility.

I wish the season started tomorrow!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I don't know about DL being the best recruiter in the nation, but I think it is pretty definitive that U of O as an organization and alumni is the best recruiter in the country. Recruiting at such a high level with such a dearth of local talent is extraordinary.

A tip of the cap all the way around and especially for Marshall Malchow who is continuing to do what he did at TAMU.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 5/7/2024 at 8:22 AM, Charles Fischer said:

The best recruiter is a tall order, considering what is occurring around the nation at the nation's elite programs.  Yet you make a great case, and adding the retention element is crucial, as anyone can check Colorado as the "prime" example. They brought in a ton of transfers, and the revolving door continues, with the 'Buffs losing many players they wished would stay.

Another element to this is his astounding rate of success with who transfer in; very, very few portal players have not worked out for Oregon which points to amazing research and vetting by the staff and in the player visits.

Lanning does not have a juggernaut like Alabama, Georgia or Ohio State....yet.  But he is succeeding at a level well above his weight class, and it has many of us fans shaking our heads at all the good fortune. The real test is if you take Division Street and all of Oregon's resources and plug in a different coach?  You do not get the same results. Lanning is exceptional!

Come to Oregon!

Lanning2_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

The Alabama rankings this year are difficult to actually put together. 

The prep class is Saban's so it's fantastic and the tender portal is mostly DeBoer and it's good in terms of its ranking but it's almost all Washington players! That's not recruiting as much as roster retention in this case. 

Also Bama got credit for landing Proctor from the portal but he left Bama in the winter and came back in the spring. He didn't really leave. 

I wanted to throw in stuff about Georgia and Colorado because the two are polar opposites in how they function. Colorado is a revolving door with transfers and is looking to win games exclusively through the portal. 

Georgia loses some talent to the portal and usually gets a little bit but they are pretty exclusively prep recruits

I think if you asked Lanning he'd like to me more like Georgia and use the portal less but I'm not sure Oregon is ever going to be that because of our geography.

Oregon is isolated from all the biggest hot beds of recruitment, the closest being southern California which is close but not Oregon's backyard. Certainly not within reasonable driving distance. 

So I do believe Oregon will need to use the portal to substitute for this geographic disadvantage. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Great article. Thank you, David.

1 minor correction. Matthew Bedford went from Indiana to CU, briefly, and then to Oregon. Another in-your-face to a guy 'playing for clicks.'

One thing I would add to the great facts in your article is the fact that Dan is recruiting to a state without many 4* and 5* recruits.  Georgia, Alabama, and other schools located in the Southeast do not have this problem. These two among other SEC powers and Ohio State, Michigan, and other B1G programs compete with Dan for recruits from recruit-rich California, making Dan's success in recruiting California more noteworthy. 

You also noted that Dan re-recruits at a very high level. In comparison, most of the guys Mari(o) recruited are gone and were not coached up under Mari(o) the way players are coached up by Dan. Oregon finishing in the top 10 in D last season is impressive. I expect the Oregon D to be more salty in 2024 without crippling the offense as was the case when Mari(o) was in charge.

Again, thanks for a terrific and timely article.

On 5/7/2024 at 12:04 PM, David Marsh said:

I think if you asked Lanning he'd like to me more like Georgia and use the portal less

I agree with that, but with the way he is recruiting the high school talent...it is only a matter of another two years before all this superb recruiting at the HS level truly comes to fruition.  I also agree with you in that he will always rely on the portal to plug holes, or to add when exceptional opportunity presents itself, but I do believe the number of starters from the portal will be a ton less in three years.

And if not?  No problem, as Dano has

shown already that with the portal he's....

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/7/2024 at 12:15 PM, Jon Joseph said:

One thing I would add to the great facts in your article is the fact that Dan is recruiting to a state without many 4* and 5* recruits.

Fantastic point.  

Imagine if Dano was recruiting to a school in Ohio, or Georgia, or Texas.

giphy.gif

• Oh no! 1
  • Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

DM, good call on Bama and where to rank the Tide post-Nick. 

DeBoer brought Penix to UW and convinced many draft-eligible players to return, but it was Chris Peterson and not DeBoer who did the heavy recruiting lifting. Bama will not admit it but Dan's recruiting chops is why Dan had to turn the job down before DeBoer was offered. The same with Mike Elko at A+M. This helps to cement your case for Dan being the Recruiting Man.

On 5/7/2024 at 1:20 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Dan had to turn the job down before DeBoer was offered. The same with Mike Elko at A+M. This helps to cement your case for Dan being the Recruiting Man.

Bama and TAMU will never admit it but Dan was their top choice or certainly top 3. 

From what I have read from a few sources is that Lanning as a clause in his contract that in order to just talk to him the program wanting to talk to Lanning would need to pay UO a hefty sum. I heard it's around 20 million which would be insane. 

So Bama will say that they weren't interested or he wasn't offered the job. Which would be true because I don't think Lanning was ever an option because just getting Lanning would cost upwards of 40 mil potentially and then paying him more to get him away from Oregon. 

Lanning was never an option for either which is delightful as Duck fans. 

• Wow 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The teams ranked higher in the portal recruiting are mostly getting extra credit for signing a few more (often lower ranked) transfers...

• Thumbs Up 3

Exciting take about Oregon and Dan Lanning...

• Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/7/2024 at 2:20 PM, woundedknees said:

The teams ranked higher in the portal recruiting are mostly getting extra credit for signing a few more (often lower ranked) transfers...

Colorado certainly.... They are signing over 30 players in the portal and they have lost slightly more to the portal. 

Ole Miss has done fantastic in the portal but their prep recruiting tends not to break into the top 10. I think part of that has to do with being overshadowed by Bama and Georgia in the SEC foot print and if a recruit doesn't want to be in the SEC then they're going somewhere else entirely. 

On 5/7/2024 at 4:15 PM, David Marsh said:

Ole Miss has done fantastic in the portal but their prep recruiting tends not to break into the top 10.

Ole Miss is Kiffin’s new Last Chance U.

It _might_ be admirable but is just as likely to be sketch.

• Haha 1

On 5/7/2024 at 5:28 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

Ole Miss is Kiffin’s new Last Chance U.

It _might_ be admirable but is just as likely to be sketch.

Kiffin needs to make the playoff this year. If he manages to do that then I think he'll find himself quite secure. 

In order for Ole Miss to rise he is going to need Bama to fall flat on its face under DeBoer. 

I think Kiffin v Sark will be amusing. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/7/2024 at 8:58 PM, David Marsh said:

Kiffin needs to make the playoff this year. If he manages to do that then I think he'll find himself quite secure. 

In order for Ole Miss to rise he is going to need Bama to fall flat on its face under DeBoer. 

I think Kiffin v Sark will be amusing. 

No Bama, no Texas so no game vs Sark in 2024 and 2025 unless the two meet in the SEC champ game. Ole Miss plays Oklahoma and UGA in Oxford and has one of the easier in-conference schedules. Ole Miss's P4 OOC opponent is Wake Forest. The most difficult road game on paper is at LSU. 

If Ole Miss does not finish 10-2 or better Ole Miss fans will not be happy. Reverse the schedule home and away for 2025 and Ole Miss will be on the road against Georgia and Oklahoma. The 2025 season opener for Ole Miss is versus USC in LA. 

On 5/7/2024 at 7:04 PM, Jon Joseph said:

No Bama, no Texas so no game vs Sark in 2024 and 2025 unless the two meet in the SEC champ game. Ole Miss plays Oklahoma and UGA in Oxford and has one of the easier in-conference schedules. Ole Miss's P4 OOC opponent is Wake Forest. The most difficult road game on paper is at LSU. 

If Ole Miss does not finish 10-2 or better Ole Miss fans will not be happy. Reverse the schedule home and away for 2025 and Ole Miss will be on the road against Georgia and Oklahoma. The 2025 season opener for Ole Miss is versus USC in LA. 

I didn't know their schedule. 

And I forgot how lame the SEC is about their scheduling and actually enabling all their teams to play each other. 

I do appreciate that in two years in the B1G everyone plays everyone. In four years every team gets at least one home game against the rest of the conference. 

Always Be Sellin'!

Ducks coaches head to Dixie to visit big-time, who hopefully become B1G Ducks recruits.

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

Much of college football recruiting has become about the n ame, image, and likeness game but there’s still a place for good old-fashioned face-to-face visits as Oregon transitions to the Big Ten...

This is part of the relentless recruiting effort DM described.

He can recruit high schools and he can recruit the portal. How about this list? The team's needs are fulfilled.

WWW.SI.COM

Oregon football is embracing the transfer portal. Oregon coach Dan Lanning and the Ducks have landed some of the top talent from the best programs in the country

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Go Ducks! 1

On 5/7/2024 at 10:48 PM, David Marsh said:

I didn't know their schedule. 

And I forgot how lame the SEC is about their scheduling and actually enabling all their teams to play each other. 

I do appreciate that in two years in the B1G everyone plays everyone. In four years every team gets at least one home game against the rest of the conference. 

Over five years in the B1G, through 2028, all B1G teams will face one another at least three times. The scheduling in the B1G was well thought out. Including teams that travel east-west and vice versa having a home game or an idle week the weekend after traveling a long way. 

The SEC punted with its 2025 schedule. The SEC will stay with eight conference games with the same teams that met in 2024 meeting again in 2025 with the venues being flipped. Texas and Ole Miss will not play Bama in the next two seasons and Missouri's easiest schedule in the SEC will likely be duplicated in 2025. Compared to Texas in 2024, Oklahoma has a brutal schedule that will be repeated in 2025. The SEC will not move to nine conference games before seeing how the PO Committee treats schedule strength over the next two seasons.

All B1G and SEC teams will miss playing seven conference members every season. I would like to see both conferences playing ten conference games, with one of the two out-of-conference games featuring B1G vs SEC and the elimination, as you suggested sometime back David, of conference champ games. Teams that tie at the top for a B1G or SEC shared title will all make the 12-team playoff which is likely to go to 14 to 16 teams in 2026. Depending on additional conference realignment, the Playoff might morph into a Power 2 'World Series.' 

No other sport in the world has a post-season where the participants have such a difference in their strength of schedule. Will the PO Committee take notice? 

On 5/8/2024 at 10:32 AM, Jon Joseph said:

elimination, as you suggested sometime back David, of conference champ games

I agree that the conference champ games should be eliminated.  One negative about the expanded playoff is that it can add two additional games to players' seasons.  College football is a real grind and players' bodies take a tremendous pounding which accumulates throughout the season.  Conference champs get a first round bye, but the losers of the champ game just get another game, and more bruises and injuries.  One could argue that finishing third in the B1G and making the playoff but missing the B1G champ game gives a team a better chance to get to the national championship game.  I haven't really thought this out and maybe getting a higher seed is more is worth playing an extra game.   Of course winning the championship is winning the championship -- everyone will undoubtedly want a shot to get a ring.  

Edited by Cacker Guy
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 8:04 PM, Cacker Guy said:

I agree that the conference champ games should be eliminated.  One negative about the expanded playoff is that it can add two additional games to players' seasons.  College football is a real grind and players' bodies take a tremendous pounding which accumulates throughout the season.  Conference champs get a first round bye, but the losers of the champ game just get another game, and more bruises and injuries.  One could argue that finishing third in the B1G and making the playoff but missing the B1G champ game gives a team a better chance to get to the national championship game.  I haven't really thought this out and maybe getting a higher seed is more is worth playing an extra game.   Of course winning the championship is winning the championship -- everyone will undoubtedly want a shot to get a ring.  

Even the top 4 seeds with a 1st round bye will play two games before making it to the champ game. The title game would be the third game. The champ game for the 2024-25 season will be played in Atlanta on January 20, 2025.

For the teams seeded five through twelve, the champ game would be the 4th playoff game. For a team seeded 5 through 12 which played a conference champ game and lost, the game for the championship would be the 17th game of the season. 

On 5/7/2024 at 10:48 PM, David Marsh said:

David, That's great! OBD owe Penn State a really good "game" as a return memorial gift from the '94 Rose Bowl. We should be ready to weather a "white out" (all their fans wear white and bring white pom-poms) at their home in Happy Valley (or whatever the town is) in West Central PA.

VR, KCDuck1

On 5/8/2024 at 8:43 PM, KCDuck1 said:

We should be ready to weather a "white out" (all their fans wear white and bring white pom-poms) at their home in Happy Valley (or whatever the town is) in West Central PA.

I'd love Oregon to do a yellow out. 

Highlighter yellow at night! You know that would be epic and we all know it. 

It would also give us a little B1G flare. 

• Applause 2

We call it, “Yell—O” night!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck