Charles Fischer

Big-12 to Expand and Add the Pig-2?

There is a ton of discussion going on over the weekend and this morning about what ESPN's Bill Connerly said about Big-12 expansion, and how OSU/WSU could be part of it.  I have two questions..

1) As my Duck-Buddy Jon Joseph would ask...."Is adding them accretive?" "Can they generate additional revenue for the conference, or least their share?"     No.

2) If they leave the Pac-12...as did the other 10 former Pac-12 teams...are they now going to split the assets of the conference 12 ways?   Don't hold your breath...

Perhaps it is not over...

• Wow 1

Mr. FishDuck

😂

Sources are saying the PIG2 is signing a national, multi-year, TV deal while also leaving for the B12.

Hard to imagine both happening at the same time.

Creative writing is fun! You can create your own world where you are coveted by mass media and conferences around the world…calling all the shots like a big boy!

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 2

Hear me out here. They don't have to be accretive if they accept a reduced distribution in the short term.

Oregon and Washington still joined on half a share of distributions, because it is worth it in the long run.

Who's to say OSU and WSU won't join for nearly zero distributions and live off the several hundred million they got from the PAC12, in exchange for a big revenue share down the road?

Edited by Solar
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 5/13/2024 at 10:57 AM, Charles Fischer said:

If they leave the Pac-12...as did the other 10 former Pac-12 teams...are they now going to split the assets of the conference 12 ways?   Don't hold your breath..

I suspect there would be a lawsuit and that one might go the way of the other 10. I also wouldn't be surprised if there is already an agreement in pace if the pac-12 were to fully dissolve. 

I'm not optimistic that would be the case but so far the legal argument that OSU and WSU should be the only voting members is based on how they are the only conference members remaining. Which could be challenged if they leave. 

As far as I'm concerned the Big 12 is the least prestigous of the Power 4. They are the conference of left overs right now.

The ACC has some valuable programs and they'll be pillaged next. 

OSU and WSU would fit in there .. but would they add anything? Probably just enough to be valued by the left overs. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It simply dilutes the conference media value. 

Does Utah become their elite team? They can’t be a huge media market darling. Add the rodents and Cougs to the conference and does the conference media value increase by over $50 to $60 million per year?

I doubt it. 

The rodents sports programs will financially collapse without a significant increase in future revenue. They are not bargaining from a position of strength. They have to be hoping somebody with CFP revenue sharing picks them up. However, adding them decreases the share given to existing members. 

As far as any remaining PAC 12 assets, attorneys and a judge, may need to rework a final distribution plan.

On 5/13/2024 at 11:47 AM, Solar said:

Who's to say OSU and WSU won't join for nearly zero distributions and live off the several hundred million they got from the PAC12, in exchange for a big revenue share down the road?

Ahh...attorneys in the room?  Wouldn't this generate a lawsuit on behalf the other former Pac-12 members that could actually win?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

I believe I recall the PIG2 has a strong monetary, and legal incentive to remain an entity for 2 years. 

Hearing more legitimate rumblings of Gonzaga going B12 for hoops than anything else.

My perspective, I don't think there will be any major football realignment until the ACC figures out what it's doing. Doesn't make any sense right now for anyone until the big brands in the ACC know their fate.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

Got enough guts? History tells us, "NO!" When it comes to litigating, the Pac-10 Prez have bent over, under, and through more than a yoga instructor. 

They may be invited to the B12 in 2025-26, but I don't see it happening with the schedule already in place. The two draw on average, at least when in the Pac-12, more viewers than several B12 teams. One way to be accretive is to copy SMU and receive nothing in media revenue for the next five seasons. I don't think that ESPN and Fox are in any hurry to pay the price for adding these two programs. 

The Pig-2 also have to "show-well" this year, and... 

I don't think they will.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Hello, Triple A, please send someone to pick me up from the floor. 🤣

Charles, your first answer was too short and the second too long.

I'm going with "HELL NO" to both.

The Pac-2’s only value is the After Dark time slot.

They could plan it so that all the OSU and WSU home games start at 7pm.

• Applause 1