Charles Fischer

Pig-2 Announce TV Deal: League Games of San Jose State and UNLV?

There are other articles out there, but Canzano provided below the home schedule...  

(And they should NOT call it the Pac-12)

Oregon State Home Games
•    8/31 - Idaho State - 3:30 p.m. PT on The CW
•    9/14 - Oregon – Time TBD on FOX or FS1
•    9/21 - Purdue - 5:30 p.m. PT on The CW
•    10/5 - Colorado State - 3:30 p.m. PT on The CW
•    10/19 - UNLV - 12:30 p.m. PT or 7:00 p.m. PT on The CW *
•    11/9 - San Jose State - 12:30 p.m. PT or 7:30 p.m. PT on The CW *
•    11/23 - Washington State - 3:30 p.m. PT on The CW

giphy.gif

Bolded above are league games...

giphy.gif

I expect the deal to fall in the range of $5 million to $9 million per school. 

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/14/2024 at 2:38 PM, Charles Fischer said:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

That's one way to spin it I suppose.

Polishing a turd feels more appropriate. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

The Pac-12? Riiiiiiiiiiight.

Are conference games conference games when you cannot compete for a conference title? The PIG 2 is paying millions of dollars to the MW for this inventory.

If a deal with CW for under $10M is a 'good deal' you are sucking a dirigible's worth of gas. What a joke, the 2 are hanging on and outside the G5 to reap all of the money they 'stole' from the Pac-10.  

Edited by Jon Joseph

I’m also skeptical how “national” any broadcast will actually be.

It is theoretically possible, but as I have said before, does anyone think the Pittsburgh affiliate of CW will be airing Idaho State playing OSU when an episode of Gun Smoke would draw more viewers?

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/14/2024 at 2:56 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

I’m also skeptical how “national” any broadcast will actually be.

It is theoretically possible, but as I have said before, does anyone think the Pittsburgh affiliate of CW will be airing Idaho State playing OSU when an episode of Gun Smoke would draw more viewers?

With the ACC having some games on CW I think it's possible to get some viewership traction. 

But without a full conference behind them the viewership will be minimal. 

Oregonian columnist Bill Oram brings the whole thing into the world of reality here:

"It’s the 99.9% of viewers who won’t be watching that worry me."   Column worth a read.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

On 5/14/2024 at 2:46 PM, David Marsh said:

That's one way to spin it I suppose.

Polishing a turd feels more appropriate. 

Buffing a brownie is a fine project for aspiring engineers...

HDuck...that was a fantastic article to post, thank youEVERYONE...do help out posting articles like these to help the community that serves you.

Oram is usually such an OSU tool, and Oregon hater, that this honest article above is stunning to me.  The quote from HDuck from the article is what I was thinking...as having Beaver games on the CW allows Beaver fans around the country watch...but who else will?

"The Pac-12 will be going head-to-head with games on CBS, ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, Fox, FS1, the Big Ten Network and SEC Network. Even with traditionally strong viewership, what the Beavers do on The CW won’t resonate on your average Saturday."

"Being on national television sounds like a triumph after all those travails. But being available is no longer enough. Rather than national exposure, Oregon State football games will more likely be hidden in plain sight."

"The viewership out of market, playing a largely Mountain West schedule, will be abysmal."

"What will happen when Oregon State does a terrible rating in every game on The CW but scores a decent rating in its one game on Fox, against Oregon? What will that say about where the value is?"

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Probably hasn’t come up because of how irrelevant Beavis is, but it suddenly occurred to me I haven’t heard anything about the PIG2’s other sports. Are their other sports going to appear on the invention called television? 

On 5/14/2024 at 7:35 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Probably hasn’t come up because of how irrelevant Beavis is, but it suddenly occurred to me I haven’t heard anything about the PIG2’s other sports. Are their other sports going to appear on the invention called television? 

Their other sports will be in the same conference as Gonzega... The West Coast Conference... So whatever media deal they have there will apply to them. At least for basketball. 

Being as I couldn't remember the name of the conference... That's not a good sign. 

On 5/14/2024 at 6:38 PM, Charles Fischer said:

"What will happen when Oregon State does a terrible rating in every game on The CW but scores a decent rating in its one game on Fox, against Oregon? What will that say about where the value is?"

What happens if Oregon State has a terrible season???? 

If Oregon State has a fantastic season their ratings will be meh... But if they only reach a bowl game... Or even fail to make a bowl game... What happens then? 

Same applies to WSU. 

The answer is oblivion by the way. 

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

This is a win for OSU. Every beaver fan in the country CAN watch them play finally.

And channel flippers sick of watching some blowouts could find OSU gritting their teeth against the G5, because CW is typically a channel not too far away from Fox and abc.

Sure they won't have "this changes everything" viewership, but it beats the pants off limited access PAC12 after bedtime every week of the season like last year.

On 5/15/2024 at 11:52 AM, Solar said:

This is a win for OSU. Every beaver fan in the country CAN watch them play finally.

And channel flippers sick of watching some blowouts could find OSU gritting their teeth against the G5, because CW is typically a channel not too far away from Fox and abc.

Sure they won't have "this changes everything" viewership, but it beats the pants off limited access PAC12 after bedtime every week of the season like last year.

Good take, it’s certainly TV which is better than not being on TV.

That being said, I think it's a false equivalency to say this is better coverage than the good ole P12 Network as the P12 Network wasn’t the exclusive network for the league. P12 Network was pretty much the lowest rung for the worst matchups for the week in conference, this tv deal is it for the “league”.

Ratings will be hilarious.

Also worth noting that details of the contract are not being shared…there’s a reason for that.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Applause 1

We, as a community, need to STOP posting or commenting on Beavis and Butthead! That brings life to their F-N sham of money grab! I am truly sick of anything to do with their garbage, spelled with sh and ends with it, because it's a waste of our collective energy!

To all the OBD peeps that still support their "garbage," that's on you! Don't bring that "garbage" on this forum. OBD all the way!!

Sorry, but making fun of the Beaver Bastards is now Blood-Sport for some of us.  

giphy.gif

It's so much fun to give Beavis a kick...

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/15/2024 at 6:39 PM, criticalduck said:

We, as a community, need to STOP posting or commenting on Beavis and Butthead! That brings life to their F-N sham of money grab! I am truly sick of anything to do with their garbage, spelled with sh and ends with it, because it's a waste of our collective energy!

To all the OBD peeps that still support their "garbage," that's on you! Don't bring that "garbage" on this forum. OBD all the way!!

Blood sport indeed. It won’t be as interesting at a certain point I agree, but I’m not even close to there yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's fun though... 

For the same reasons we all watch what's going on in Colorado and USC and anywhere else. 

And it's so entertaining because our Ducks are in a good spot. 

We'd probably still talk about it if Oregon was coming off a 3 win season but most of us would probably be less engaged in the off season.

So we are all hungry for football and in trying to fill the void with junk food. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Kick 'em when they're up, 

Kick 'em when they're down,

Kick 'em all around. 

They're nothing but dirty laundry. 

I'd give them credit for hosing over the Pac-10 but sucking off of long-time suckers is not worthy of Kudos. 

Now, about that game in Corvallis? Some of the kicks should be directed at the posteriors of the Pac-10's Fearless, Clueless, "leaders." Rob, are you there?

Recall that we are in the dead season after the spring game and before fall practices. What the heck else have we to do, aside from Duck baseball, softball, track and recruiting news?

I for one really don't care other than hating the little beaver paw that is rummaging around my pocket and pulling out tax dollars. 

Now bashing those entitled, tanned, white powder addled, surgically augmented Maserati driving tools from the university of spoiled children, that is a different matter entirely...

On 5/15/2024 at 2:14 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

That being said, I think it's a false equivalency to say this is better coverage than the good ole P12 Network as the P12 Network wasn’t the exclusive network for the league. P12 Network was pretty much the lowest rung for the worst matchups for the week in conference, this tv deal is it for the “league”.

But that's the thing OSU and WSU were the lowest rung of the PAC12, so they would have had the most late games on the Pac12 network status quo.

So I would argue they have benefitted as much if not more than any other former Pac12 team from the pack demise in terms of access to awake eyeballs. It's a win for the fans that don't care about ultimate success as much as just being able to watch their team play. A narrow victory, but given their position any victories should rightly be celebrated.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/16/2024 at 11:31 AM, Solar said:

But that's the thing OSU and WSU were the lowest rung of the PAC12, so they would have had the most late games on the Pac12 network status quo.

So I would argue they have benefitted as much if not more than any other former Pac12 team from the pack demise in terms of access to awake eyeballs. It's a win for the fans that don't care about ultimate success as much as just being able to watch their team play. A narrow victory, but given their position any victories should rightly be celebrated.

That seems like it should be right, considering who we're talking about here. Given the civil war result, it is easy forget that Beavis was pretty highly ranked last year. Turns out they had most of their games (10!) televised "above" the P12 Network. Even super-irrelevant WSU had 6 games above the P12 Network. 

2023 Beavis Football Schedule

Sunday
Sep. 3
San Jose State Spartans Football Schedule at San Jose State Spartans CEFCU Stadium, San Jose, CA 3:30pm ET CBS/Paramount+ W 42-17
Saturday
Sep. 9
UC Davis Aggies Football Schedule UC Davis Aggies Reser Stadium, Corvallis, OR 9:00pm ET P12N W 55-7
Saturday
Sep. 16
San Diego State Football Schedule San Diego State Aztecs Reser Stadium, Corvallis, OR 3:30pm ET FS1 W 26-9
Saturday
Sep. 23
Washington State Cougars Football Schedule at Washington State Cougars Martin Stadium, Pullman, WA 7:00pm ET FOX L 38-35
Friday
Sep. 29
Utah Utes Football Schedule Utah Utes Reser Stadium, Corvallis, OR 9:00pm ET FS1 W 21-7
Saturday
Oct. 7
California Football Schedule at California Golden Bears Cal Memorial Stadium, Berkeley, CA 10:00pm ET P12N W 52-40
Saturday
Oct. 14
UCLA Bruins Football Schedule UCLA Bruins (HC) Reser Stadium, Corvallis, OR 8:00pm ET FOX W 36-24
Saturday
Oct. 21
  OFF    
Saturday
Oct. 28
Arizona Wildcats Football Schedule at Arizona Wildcats Arizona Stadium, Tucson, AZ 10:30pm ET ESPN L 27-24
Saturday
Nov. 4
Colorado Football Schedule at Colorado Buffaloes Folsom Field, Boulder, CO 10:00pm ET ESPN W 26-19
Saturday
Nov. 11
Stanford Cardinal Football Schedule Stanford Cardinal Reser Stadium, Corvallis, OR 5:30pm ET P12N W 62-17
Saturday
Nov. 18
Washington Football Schedule Washington Huskies Reser Stadium, Corvallis, OR 7:30pm ET ABC/ESPN3 L 22-20
Friday
Nov. 24
Oregon Ducks Football Schedule at Oregon Ducks Autzen Stadium, Eugene, OR 8:30pm ET FOX L 31-7
Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl
Friday
Dec. 29
Notre Dame Fighting Irish Football Schedule vs Notre Dame Fighting Irish Sun Bowl Stadium, El Paso, TX 2:00pm ET CBS/Paramount+ L 40-8
Edited by JabbaNoBargain