Charles Fischer

Blockbuster Sports Streaming Service Announced Between Warner, ESPN and Fox

A pretty big development that will impact Oregon later...

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

The joint sports streaming service combining ESPN, Fox and Warner Bros. Discovery programming will be called Venu Sports.

Mr. FishDuck

Very interesting.   I wonder how they are going to compete with YouTube TV  if they don’t have the other network channels for sports.  They are going to need to keep the price down, as I think YouTube TV has that same content, plus more, for around $60.  

If it is an add-on to Hulu or Max and is around $20, I could see it getting some traction.  

Fubo.tv is already in a heated dispute with Warner Bros/Discovery due to pricing.  All channels related to Warner Bros/Discovery have been taken off Fubo.  I am wondering about ESPN and Fox if that is next.

They'll have a competitive price until their contracts run out with their other platforms and then they'll up the price. 

They have full control over the majority of sports and can afford to wait. 

This is a common strategy for most major media companies right now. Only Disney (by extension Hulu) and Netflix are actually turning a profit right now. Maybe Amazon but that's by extension of the Prime service. 

Paramount+ saw a significant increase in their subs once the star trek licenses expired on other platforms and they gained full control. Star Trek remains one of the most streamed franchises.

I would personally love a steaming platform that was relatively cheap that had all Duck content as I don't use the rest of the "cable" package (YouTube and Hulu live are both effectively cable on a streaming platform).

But streaming has moved from being a cheaper option to an ala carte option that can add up real quick.

Hoping the pricing is good and stays good but I'm skeptical. College football in particular is in the hands of really just two companies and they're calling all the shots.

• Great post! 2

Still sticks on my craw that finding money to keep the conference "formerly known" as the PAC12 was just not economically feasible in this tough, tough, downsizing era of sports media.

YET, 12 months later you got da' cash to lock in college football playoff TV rights (for twice the cost of what the conference was asking for),  AND now partner up with other media conglomerates, who also didn't have any money for investing into a TV/Steaming deal for the PAC12, to create your own streaming sports network with ALL of the revenue pitfalls, challenges, and competition to become a viable product and meet the long term subscriber goals.

It is ALL "Monopoly Money" and I for one get exhausted by all the 🐂💩!

At least I have "My Ducks!". 👍

I would like to think that Oregon will benefit from this by:

--More people who stream only will now see Oregon football.  We will be visible to millions globally, and with the massive alumni base of our B1G opponents--so many more eyeballs on us.

--I would think this is another media contract that will bring revenue to the B1G, of which we will get our share.

Even with this, I hardly see television viewing going away.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

With the release of the NFL 2024-25 schedules, this formation of Venue by Warner and what were once fierce competitors ESPN and Fox is not the only broadcast news that will affect college football (CFB.) (With a new Venu on the way, is it any surprise that Fox did not bid to broadcast CFB playoff games? Any surprise that the B1G/Fox and the SEC/ESPN have formed a 'partnership' that instead of the NCAA, will lead the way in big-time CFB?)

The NFL asked the CFB playoff committee not to schedule a playoff triple-header on Saturday, December 21, 2024. The playoff committee scheduled the triple header. In response, the NFL scheduled a double-header on the same Saturday, Mahomes vs Stroud, KC vs Houston, and Pitt vs Baltimore. CFB games draw very good viewer numbers, but not close to what the NFL Goliath draws. 

The Saturday, December NFL broadcasts were once the purview of the NFL Network. The two games scheduled by the NFL on the 21st will be broadcast by NBC and Fox. Two B1G broadcast partners. Is this any way to treat your 'minor league?' If you believe CFB will continue to consolidate until there is an AFL Division, the Big Ten, and an NFL Division, the SEC, and that an NFL-Lite is inevitable, why concern yourself with protecting what could be the biggest Saturday in the history of CFB?

You, I, and the average CFB fan could see this coming from a mile away. Just like we foresaw the disaster that was playing the 4-team semifinal games on New Year's Eve. Yet, no one led the way for the CFB season to uniformly begin on Week Zero. Today to play on Week Zero requires a waiver from the NCAA. No one led the way to have one and not two idle weeks in 2024, with half of the FBS teams idle on Week 6 and the other half idle on Week 7. 

Make the above suggested entirely logical changes and not only is there Peace by and between CFB and the NFL, but the 2024-25 CFB Playoff Champion game could be played a week earlier on January 14, 2025, if not sooner. 

David Marsh posted a great comment on this article. Follow the money or the lack thereof. The broadcast powers-that-be will figure out a way to outfox (Fox?) antitrust laws and make a profit. Ergo, a new Venu.

On 5/17/2024 at 12:15 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I would like to think that Oregon will benefit from this by:

--More people who stream only will now see Oregon football.  We will be visible to millions globally, and with the massive alumni base of our B1G opponents--so many more eyeballs on us.

--I would think this is another media contract that will bring revenue to the B1G, of which we will get our share.

Even with this, I hardly see television viewing going away.

Spot On! Oregon will be one of the top-viewed teams whether the games are broadcast in black and white, color, 3D, 4D, streamed, steamed, or however beamed.  

Size goes to size in big business. Media is combining to earn more money. The Pac-2 will not be the only two left behind. 

Thank goodness Puddles grabbed onto a B1G lifeline instead of a much smaller B12 lifeline.

• Applause 1

On 5/17/2024 at 9:40 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Thank goodness Puddles grabbed onto a B1G lifeline instead of a much smaller B12 lifeline.

giphy.gif

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

The Pig-2 are scrambling!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/17/2024 at 8:45 AM, MicroBurst61 said:

Still sticks on my craw that finding money to keep the conference "formerly known" as the PAC12 was just not economically feasible in this tough, tough, downsizing era of sports media.

YET, 12 months later you got da' cash to lock in college football playoff TV rights (for twice the cost of what the conference was asking for),  AND now partner up with other media conglomerates, who also didn't have any money for investing into a TV/Steaming deal for the PAC12, to create your own streaming sports network with ALL of the revenue pitfalls, challenges, and competition to become a viable product and meet the long term subscriber goals.

It is ALL "Monopoly Money" and I for one get exhausted by all the 🐂💩!

At least I have "My Ducks!". 👍

The thing is that there was money available to keep the Pac-12 alive. ESPN and Fox both decided that they didn't want to. 

FISHDUCK.COM

FOX and Disney/ESPN control virtually all of college sports. The Pac-12 has failed to make a deal with either of...

The Pac-12 made massive mistakes... But they still could have survived if ESPN and Fox wanted to let them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

With households eliminating the all encompassing cable subscription packages, and choosing tailored streaming, this is just another add-on. 

A subscription to this “service” is simply tailored to the sports fans wallet. They will start with a “friendly” entry price, and then it will increase to whatever the market can afford. 

Content is always an issue with subscription services. If this becomes the only way to watch Duck football I will subscribe. However, most of it, I will never watch. 

Is CFB not backing down to the NFL the intelligent way to go? Shouldn't these two be working together? Does the NFL want to pay for its minor league? 

If CFB takes on the NFL it better have a big rock in the slingshot.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The NFL sent a warning shot to college football with its schedule release on Wednesday