Charles Fischer

For Memorial Day: The Newest USS Enterprise!

USS Enterprise (CVN-80), the third in a line of prominent Navy aircraft carriers to bear that name. The Gerald Ford-class nuclear-powered Leviathan is scheduled to enter service as early as 2028. But the origins of America's next Big E carrier actually began in 2012 with the decommissioning of CVN-65, the second Enterprise carrier.

May history never forget the name....ENTERPRISE!

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Thank you for posting the video.  I am saddened that according to that film the Eisenhower will soon be taken out of service also.  The Ike is the only actively commissioned AC I have ever been on (on a 3 hour walking tour with my then young sons).  Those 3 hours made an impression.  The size of that thing is breathtaking.  It is hard to believe that mere humans can build something so large and so amazing.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2

Great posts for Memorial Day Weekend!  Thank you Mr. Fishduck!

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope we can start gearing up our shipbuilding capacity once again......what a wonderful addition to the fleet!

Edited by idontrollonshobbas
typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Thanks Charles for your Memorial Day tribute to the USS Enterprise legacy. As a Navy vet, much appreciated.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Beam Me Up, Scotty. 

Captain Kirk and crew say, 'Thank you, Charles.'

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Applause 1

On 5/26/2024 at 2:00 PM, Washington Waddler said:

Thanks Charles for your Memorial Day tribute to the USS Enterprise legacy. As a Navy vet, much appreciated.

Thank you for your service. My Dad was a gunnery officer on a Tin Can in the Pacific Theater, He fought at Guadalcanal, the Battle of the Coral Sea, Midway, and Okinawa. 

He passed on July 4th at the age of 98. He played 9 holes of golf 3 days a week up to 2 weeks before passing. A generation, male and female, of patriotic, tough people.

• Salute 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 3

My father-in-law was a seaman on the maiden voyage of the USS Hancock (CV-19), near the end of WW2... The flattops, even then, were large enough to allow the men to play softball on the deck. The Enterprise 2 (CVN-65) and Eisenhower (CVN-69) were considerably larger.

My FIL was one of the strongest men many of the crew had seen, and found himself barred from playing after he lost more than one ball overboard when he batted.

Part of the onboard training regimen involved jumping from the flight deck, into the waters below, to prepare the crew for emergencies.

https://www.navsource.org/archives/02/021988.jpg

Edited by woundedknees
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 5/26/2024 at 11:07 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Thank you for your service. My Dad was a gunnery officer on a Tin Can in the Pacific Theater, He fought at Guadalcanal, the Battle of the Coral Sea, Midway, and Okinawa. 

He passed on July 4th at the age of 98. He played 9 holes of golf 3 days a week up to 2 weeks before passing. A generation, male and female, of patriotic, tough people.

To have participated in, and survived, one of those great battles as a gunnery officer onboard a destroyer, let alone all four of those brutal and  legendary battles, is utterly incredible. 

And after 98 years, to top it all off in joining three of our nation's great president's -- Adams, Jefferson, & Monroe, in passing on July 4th, is one exceptional story. 

To your father, and his many fellow warriors from the Greatest Generation, we all owe a debt of gratitude to which we can never repay.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1