kirklandduck

Dan Lanning Not Done Yet With the Portal?

Interesting news from the Locked on Ducks Podcast:

Bryce Foster, the Texas A&M's starting center entered the portal back in April and is now apparently on a visit to Oregon.  

Basic stats:

- 6'5", 330 lbs

- 2021 SEC All-Freshman Team

- Started all 12 games as a true freshman

- Injured sophomore year

- Started 8 games as redshirt sophomore

12THMAN.COM

Bryce Foster (61) OL - 2021 SEC All-Freshman Team 2021 FWAA Freshman All-America Team 2021 The Athletic Freshman All-America First Team 2023 (RE...

If he were to sign that would give OBD an experienced starting center, shoring up one of the few concerns I personally have on the offense (I like Pancho's potential, he just doesn't have a lot snaps under his belt).

• Let’s hope! 1

If I recall, DL has stated they are always looking to better the team.

It's the # of schollies that is always the issue.

Yes, a good center is key! And we've been blessed with great ones at Oregon. 

Definitely sounds like a good match.

Does he have a redshirt year left?

On 6/3/2024 at 11:35 AM, DanLduck said:

It's the # of schollies that is always the issue

Well they could also be a preferred walk on... And there could be an NIL deal that pays for school and housing. 

Just saying... Roster limits aren't what they used to be. 

• Wow 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 6/3/2024 at 2:35 PM, DanLduck said:

If I recall, DL has stated they are always looking to better the team.

It's the # of schollies that is always the issue.

Yes, a good center is key! And we've been blessed with great ones at Oregon. 

Definitely sounds like a good match.

Does he have a redshirt year left?

Except for the TCU bowling for dollars game. When Helf got the Ho after Heave? 

• Oh no! 1

He has also played tackle, so he can back up both positions and ready himself for 2025 too.  We could have a fantastic team, but if the center goes down...it messes up the offensive line.  Thus, I love this recruitment.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Not trying to stir anything up but his situation sounds a lot like Anjani Cornelius, the Transfer to Oregon Texas (not trying to bang on anyone as I've been a bit surprised this hasn't appeared to this point to be discussed here).

Texas loved Cornelius prior to his injury and Foster similar at A&M but both appeared to have major injuries and eventually both programs appeared comfortable rolling the dice letting those guys go.

Foster could step in at C and a Poncho and the kid from Indiana could compete for that spot at guard;  but, the tea leaves suggest both the injuries to Cornelius and Foster represent a different sort of stumbling block.

I recall, way back when, Foster having some interest in Oregon and the HC Cristobal considering it a big recruiting priority.

Perhaps a positive, Foster, I believe a very good T&F athlete, was able to complete a season at A&M, prior to hitting the portal. His numbers were a bit off but injury did not stop him from competing. I read the new Texas A&M coach, actually didn't renew Foster's scholarship when he decided to focus on track.

Interesting!

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

On 6/3/2024 at 12:29 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Except for the TCU bowling for dollars game. When Helf got the Ho after Heave? 

Helf and the staff opted to not put in Jake Hanson and burn his redshirt all for a second half of a bowl game. 

Thankfully they've changed the rules on redshirts so they can play in bowl games for free and they get 4 games to play before brining the shirt. 

Hanson was the clear No. 2 for the majority of the season... Just not with 30 mins left on the clock until the season ends.

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2024 at 5:37 PM, AnotherOD said:

Not trying to stir anything up but his situation sounds a lot like Anjani Cornelius

You're thinking of Junior Angilau. Cornelius was from Rhode Island and has started at right tackle since he arrived. 

Angilau has been injured. We'll see if he is able to make an impact. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, my bad. I should edit that but probably the tread won't make sense if I do. Cornelius has been possibly even better than advertised.

I was bit pumped way back when I read about Foster but; the injury situation just called for a bit of a pause. Not the kid's fault getting beat up, just what I've read in regards to the player.

I think it's interesting (for those familiar), Duck hardcore fanatic (Hyolyth), while absolutely not down on the kid from Indiana, I believe placed both Angilau and Strother ahead of Bedford in tape review. Once again, interesting.

Edited by AnotherOD

On 6/3/2024 at 6:21 PM, AnotherOD said:

Yes, my bad. I should edit that but probably the tread won't make sense if I do. Cornelius has been possibly even better than advertised.

I was bit pumped way back when I read about Foster but; the injury situation just called for a bit of a pause. Not the kid's fault getting beat up, just what I've read in regards to the player.

I think it's interesting (for those familiar), Duck hardcore fanatic (Hyolyth), while absolutely not down on the kid from Indiana, I believe placed both Angilau and Strother ahead of Bedford in tape review. Once again, interesting.

He did play all 12 games last season and started 8.  So at least on the surface it seems like his health is good now.

I believe Junior Angilau is out of football on a medical release.  He is not on the 2024 roster.

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/3/2024 at 9:53 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I believe Junior Angilau is out of football on a medical release.  He is not on the 2024 roster.

That would make sense... he was out effectively the whole year including camps. I can see why the coaches wanted to get him from the portal but it didn't pan out.

Wish him the best no matter what. Football is hard on bodies and sometimes it's best to get out before doing more damage.

I was thinking a little about this thread and what point exactly I was after?

I guess the point was an interesting thought about, who do you trust more, your young guys who haven't shown (much of) anything yet; or, guys who have put a lot on film and deserve that praise, yet, have had an injury to the degree it appears the fans of that program aren't exactly devastated they moved on?

And here I mean, not the programs didn't feel bad about the injury and the player ultimately departing; but, rather them accepting it at least in part happened because the injury places the future of the player somewhat in the air.

Angilau (I got that right finally) and to a lesser extent Strother both were commits expected to possibly start, if not at least being rotational kind of players. I had at least one of two at least cracking rotation, and both guys essentially were only seen in mop up duty.

Neither broke into the rotation and I believe Angilau at least had the chance to patition for another year and has chosen not to. Poncho stepped in instead and played more than a couple of guys with very solid resumes (some of that might have been center but the impression I've gotten is that if the need was at OG, the situation would have played out similarly).

What exactly is the line between trusting your young guys and instead bring in a guy to compete with injury questions? Obviously all things being equal both are ok; but, NIL dollars too need to be budgeted (and I have no problem here suggesting those hurt guys need to make their best plays if they are offered).

Thoughts? Maybe it was just me wondering?

• Applause 1

Looks like Bryce Foster is back this weekend. That's twice in just a few weeks.

AGGIESWIRE.USATODAY.COM

According to a recent report from ScoopDuck, Aggies sophomore center Bryce Foster may be nearing a decision...

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Looks like he ended up at Kansas.

On 6/15/2024 at 8:58 PM, AnotherOD said:

Not really surprising. 

He'll probably compete for a starting spot there whereas he'll probably be a backup for the Ducks. 

It also sounds like he'd have an NIL scholarship with the Ducks. So basically be a walk on. 

Looks like he ended up at Kansas

247SPORTS.COM

The Jayhawks have landed one of the top available players in the portal.

The word is, we backed off, recruiting him with using the scholarships of the recent offensive line high school verbals.

Mr. FishDuck