NJDuck

Joel Klatt Calls for Schools to No Longer Have Control of Their College Football Schedules

Klatt discussed this thought during an appearance on ‘The Herd’ on Monday. To him, the universities themselves should stop having the ability to schedule out their seasons. It’s not something that they do in the pros and isn’t something that he wants for the collegiate level.

“I’m going to go on a different wavelength and layer than what you just did. I would love if we stopped allowing individual teams to control their own schedule,” said Klatt. “You know, the Detroit Lions don’t build their own schedule. The New York Giants don’t build their own schedule.”

If this switch was made, Klatt believes it’ll be easier to evaluate teams for the College Football Playoff.  More uniform scheduling would simplify how everyone can measure those who could potentially be within the field’s dozen berths.

“I don’t think that we should do it in college football, in particular as we’re moving into an era where we’re going to have a 12-team playoff,” said Klatt. “We’re going to have to rate these teams somehow against one another for inclusion into the most important tournament in college football, which is going to be the College Football Playoff.”

“I firmly believe that we need some sort of agreement on how many conference games that we’re all going to play within our conferences. Then the non-conference games needs to go into a pool,” Klatt explained. “We need to start playing each other more often.”

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

I hadn’t thought of this—but I like it!

Good link, thank you!

Any big boy team not called ND already doesn't control 8-9 games on the schedule…but yes, one day in “super league” I would anticipate an NFL style scheduling system. 

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thanks 1

And how would the

typical SEC fan react?

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

I know the smaller schools athletic departments send their football teams out to get slaughtered for money. While it helps their non- revenue sports budgeting it doesn’t make for interesting matchups. 

I think scheduling should have teams play the same number of conference games each year. That would be the only thing I would advocate within the new playoff system. 

On 6/5/2024 at 11:26 AM, NJDuck said:

It’s not something that they do in the pros and isn’t something that he wants for the collegiate level.

To be honest I hate the argument for college sports being they don't do this at the pro level. That's one of the things that makes college football unique and fun. 

However, I think there should be some limitations on those ooc games and a standardization of conference games. 

SEC teams shouldn't be allowed to schedule two FCS opponts and certainly not have one game placed at the end of their season. 

Getting rid of these games would really hurt a lot of FCS and G5 programs as they need these games as a part of their revenue stream. So if the desire is to allow those programs to survive then other means of funding will need to be found. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I think that is a solid idea by Klatt.  There is too much grey area right now.  Even a NET ranking like in hoops would go a long way.  That way a team that plays two FCS schools only gets credit for Q4 wins for those types of games. 

• Thumbs Up 1

What leverage do we have to force the SEC to stop cheating? 

There’s no question their scheduling helps them.

What is forcing the B1G to have 9 conference games?

Why not take our own initiative and go to 8 conference games?

• Applause 1

Why not just cut to the chase and eliminate OOC games and have 12 season counting games with a preseason......other than the number of season (league) games that would really be closer to the NFL!  Oh wait, maybe the scheduling should be done by the NCAA.

Just a little gallows sarcasm from a guy that is old school and rivalry oriented.

On 6/6/2024 at 8:25 AM, MrBrooks said:

Why not just cut to the chase and eliminate OOC games and have 12 season counting games with a preseason......other than the number of season (league) games that would really be closer to the NFL!  Oh wait, maybe the scheduling should be done by the NCAA.

Just a little gallows sarcasm from a guy that is old school and rivalry oriented.

I think there will need to be a cut in the number of season games with an expanded playoff. Even if it's just by one ooc game. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I agree with Joel's take but there is an easier way to accomplish the same result without changing already agreed-upon schedules. 

The PO Committee uses a strength-of-schedule calculation, with the algorithms disclosed and agreed to by all parties, with a team's SOS ranking shown next to a team ranked in the committee's top 25. And the individual committee members' votes are fully disclosed. 

If a uniform SOS were used, playing dreck both out-of-conference and in-conference would be accounted for as would playing fewer games vs. quality competition. Missouri, finishing 10-2 with the 16th easiest schedule in the SEC in 2024 including OOC games, would not be given the same weight as Florida with the most difficult schedule in the SEC and the nation in 2024 finishing 10-2. 

Teams contending for a spot in the playoff, 134 teams in 2024, would be handicapped coming into the season off of the 2023 results with the handicaps adjusted weekly based on game results. 

To make the PO field, a team with a handicap in the 50s would have to win X more games than a team with a handicap in the 20s. 

Committee members should not have the right to determine SOS as they see fit. And how committee members vote should see the light of day.

Great topic and great comments.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Athlon Sports uses the NFL scheduling model to put Joel's idea on paper. Every P4 team would play 2 other P4 teams OOC.

Based upon last year's finishes, Oregon would host SMU and play Texas in Austin. Rivalries such as Georgia vs Georgia Tech, Florida vs FSU, USC vs Notre Dame, etc. would be protected and played annually.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/how-college-football-would-look-with-nfl-style-schedule-2024