Charles Fischer

From Cristobal: Brown Better at Reading Coverages than Fans Think?

The Monday Mario Cristobal Press Conference was covered by most media and below is a very interesting section about Anthony Brown and this throws downfield.  (Contained in an article by Erik Skopil)

Question: You had 11 different players catch passes and I think probable one of the better passing days we’ve seen this season. After watching the tap, what did you see from Anthony Brown and kind of the offense as a whole that allowed you to have so much success?

Coach Cristobal: "No. 1 play design. No. 2, they stack the box and with what they bring up front and the issues that they cause up front, you’re going to have to make plays in the back end. So, him being able to diagnose coverages, get the ball out on time. I believe he was 29 of 30. So he was pretty accurate on a lot of ball. Some balls he’d like to have back and of course the interceptions were ones that were not good throws.

But there’s a lot of good, a lot of good plays, and a lot of really good throws that he mead that changed the game. Then he changed the game with his feet as well, on the big run and some of the other runs. Just the threat of being able to run like that also has an impact on the defense, and what you see. He also was a very good decision-maker in the running game, which also impacted the game.

So, all in all, just a lot of really good execution by him, by our receivers and by our offensive line, the running backs in protection were very valuable. I’m sure you guys saw some of those clips. We starting to get more in sync. We have to show just a greater determination for executing at a higher level because there was more consistency, it’s not all the way to where it needs to be. There is progress. We’re excited about that, and it against starts with the quarterback and the guys up front."

My OBD friends, this sounds like important improvement from Brown and significant flexibility by Cristobal.  Thoughts?

Anthony Brown_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

The play calling was definitely better, spreading the ball around to so many players was awesome but it was sill against one of the worst pass defenses in the country, UCLA gives up on average 290.9 yards per game, we put up 296 on them.  I don't really look at that as something to start setting off fireworks about, I'll wait to see how AB does against better pass defenses.

edit: Also in 8 games UCLA has 8 interceptions, 2 of those were against AB.

Edited by deschutesduck
  • Like 1

OK, the mid-range, open receivers were sporadically hit but not in stride. And the errant deep ball throws to guys running free were missed.

In his 6th season of CFB ball Brown is what he is. After bringing the team back to a 17 point lead, why call plays that are not in his wheelhouse?

The short out routes were not stopped by The UCLA D,. So throw a mid-range ball into the center of the field and a deep ball to a double covered receiver on 2 bad calls that resulted in picks?

Why these calls instead of staying  with the  run game and and the dump off passing game? Instead of running down the play clock?

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 8:12 PM, Jon Joseph said:why call plays that are not in his wheelhouse?

* why call plays that are not in his wheelhouse?

Why these calls instead of staying  with the  run game and and the dump off passing game?

These are two key questions that have not asked to or answered from MC. Can’t even imagine what a good honest answer would be. 

On 10/25/2021 at 7:12 PM, Jon Joseph said:

OK, the mid-range, open receivers were sporadically hit but not in stride. And the errant deep ball throws to guys running free were missed.

In his 6th season of CFB ball Brown is what he is. After bringing the team back to a 17 point lead, why call plays that are not in his wheelhouse?

The short out routes were not stopped by The UCLA D,. So throw a mid-range ball into the center of the field and a deep ball to a double covered receiver on 2 bad calls that resulted in picks?

Why these calls instead of staying  with the  run game and and the dump off passing game? Instead of running down the play clock?

Is there greater confidence in the passing game or greater delusion, stay tuned, the latter is my greatest concern going forward. We can win out, but we have to really know our strengths and weaknesses. AB is a good qb, but he isn't what seems to be becoming the understanding of those in control.

On 10/25/2021 at 6:18 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The Monday Mario Cristobal Press Conference was covered by most media and below is a very interesting section about Anthony Brown and this throws downfield.  (Contained in an article by Erik Skopil)

Question: You had 11 different players catch passes and I think probable one of the better passing days we’ve seen this season. After watching the tap, what did you see from Anthony Brown and kind of the offense as a whole that allowed you to have so much success?

Coach Cristobal: "No. 1 play design. No. 2, they stack the box and with what they bring up front and the issues that they cause up front, you’re going to have to make plays in the back end. So, him being able to diagnose coverages, get the ball out on time. I believe he was 29 of 30. So he was pretty accurate on a lot of ball. Some balls he’d like to have back and of course the interceptions were ones that were not good throws.

But there’s a lot of good, a lot of good plays, and a lot of really good throws that he mead that changed the game. Then he changed the game with his feet as well, on the big run and some of the other runs. Just the threat of being able to run like that also has an impact on the defense, and what you see. He also was a very good decision-maker in the running game, which also impacted the game.

So, all in all, just a lot of really good execution by him, by our receivers and by our offensive line, the running backs in protection were very valuable. I’m sure you guys saw some of those clips. We starting to get more in sync. We have to show just a greater determination for executing at a higher level because there was more consistency, it’s not all the way to where it needs to be. There is progress. We’re excited about that, and it against starts with the quarterback and the guys up front."

My OBD friends, this sounds like important improvement from Brown and significant flexibility by Cristobal.  Thoughts?

Twenty nine of thirty! Was I watching the right game? All's I know booing aside AB needs to work more at his craft. I watched him throw some great throws and thought wow we been waiting 6 games for this guy to show us he can heave it down field. Also watched him look like is this your first game in this offense? His O line gave him more than enough time this game. Bottom line is we win and Mario is showing his real chop's. Good for him and he's looking like he's getting this stuff down. I see why these guys love to play for him.

Anthony Brown_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

I will also say when someone doesn't read something well and makes a mistake it is much easier to correct. It is when someone reads something perfectly and then can't do it, there is a problem.

5rwidi.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/25/2021 at 6:18 PM, Charles Fischer said:

We have to show just a greater determination for executing at a higher level because there was more consistency, it’s not all the way to where it needs to be. There is progress. We’re excited about that, and it again starts with the quarterback and the guys up front."

I put the truth in bold.