FishDuck Article

Oregon a B1G Contender? They Don’t Believe It…

Can you believe all the favorable articles about Our Beloved Ducks you see in our free forum? Oregon has had a number of great years in the past with a media build-up prior to the season, but now with all the websites out there–this year seems extreme. We also have to sort out who is actually doing analysis, and who ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Can you believe all the favorable articles about Our Beloved Ducks you see in our free forum? Oregon has had a number of great years in the past with a media…

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks Charles!

Reading this article brings vivid thoughts of Oregon rising above each stadium as they move through the BIG conference!  Big Ten opponents will start singing this one slim portion of the Monkey's lyrics "I'm a believer not a trace of doubt in my mind."

Ducks_Death_Star.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=f85c

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My friends, while the article above has a gambling link in it--it is a legit article I wrote that I've been pondering.  Both Jon Joseph and NJDuck know I've been thinking about this topic for a while...

Would love your thoughts!

Oregon Poster 2_ESPN Video.jpg

I had to publish now instead of the morning, and if that was not wild enough--I 

received orders from the West African nations of Benin and Nigeria!

(And yes...I got paid upfront!)

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Good gosh, that is a cool AI photo!  Will the Ducks be the Death-Star to the B1G?

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Posted (edited)

B1G Media Days will be broadcast on the Big Ten Network (BTN) July 23rd through July 25. Danno will appear on July 25.

I urge all OBD brother and sisters to subscribe to BTN. The production values and on-air personalities are terrific. 50M + B1G fans will be joining you when you subscribe and tune in. Was that you Larry and John Canzano that I am hearing in the background; or, was it the Pac-2 ADs?

My guess? The B1G media will forecast Oregon football finishing in second place in 2024. Puddles is flying in with a lot of B1G respect.

It's going to be B1G no matter what Buckeyes have to say. 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If the offensive and defensive lines are the “ Tip of the Spear”, then the Ducks roster is ready to play a physical style of football. 

What opposing teams will be up against is a sturdy defensive front, fast linebackers, and a high scoring offense. Teams will not have the luxury of running the football just to wear us down.

They will be forced to throw the ball to keep pace, and that is where the Ducks defensive scheme can make it difficult to constantly move the chains in obvious throwing downs. 

If we stay reasonably healthy, then we will be a team that requires a top performance from an opposing QB to beat us. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I do think that the B1G pundits do underestimate the Ducks somewhat. Lanning has done a remarkable job of putting a championship caliber roster together in a remarkably short time. But I also worry that our posters sometimes underestimate the difficulty of navigating a new league, particularly for road games in B1G stadiums. 

I don't have the Ducks schedule in front of me at the moment, but as a for instance, the first time we trip to Camp Randall in Madison Wisconsin could present some surprises. This is an example of a tough road venue, especially for a team that may never have been there before. As good as the Oregon team has the potential to be, I would not be shocked if we drop a B1G road game that nobody sees coming. I am not predicting such a loss, but only saying it wont shock me if such a thing occurs.

Assuming the OSU game in Autzen can be considered a toss-up at this point, Oregon could drop a game on the road and the OSU game and still make the playoffs. The thing to be happiest about under this scenario, is that the season will be much longer in the 12- team playoff format, and the Ducks would now have a roster that stands a much better chance to navigating a long season successfully.

On 6/27/2024 at 4:57 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Good gosh, that is a cool AI photo!  Will the Ducks be the Death-Star to the B1G?

Agree.  That is awesome.  I really miss seeing pictures of Oregon Death Stars over the opposing team's stadium every week.  

OBD has definitely come a long way since the 90s, but still couldn't get over the Natty hump.  I think the most disappointing was the 2014-15 year when our only Heisman winner in history couldn't beat tOSU's 3rd-string.   I bet that's still stuck in a lot of people's minds.  Think about it - it's the same reason why Notre Dame is always highly rated even though they haven't been elite for a while - coz they did win a bunch of Nattys in the past.  Going all the way will definitely push us over that perception hump.  Let's all hope this is the year, or it will happen soon.

Edited by DuckFan93

On 6/28/2024 at 2:08 PM, DuckFan93 said:

OBD has definitely come a long way since the 90s, but still couldn't get over the Natty hump.  I think the most disappointing was the 2014-15 year when our only Heisman winner in history couldn't beat tOSU's 3rd-string.   I bet that's still stuck in a lot of people's minds.  Think about it - it's the same reason why Notre Dame is always highly rated even though they haven't been elite for a while - coz they did win a bunch of Nattys in the past.  Going all the way will definitely push us over that perception hump.  Let's all hope this is the year, or it will happen soon.

Third string? They had a pretty good stockpile of QBs and Ezekiel Elliot was a pretty decent player 😆 he ran for 700 yards in tOSUs last three games against Wisconsin, Alabama, and then Oregon.

OBD was down to about two WRs and the offense consisted of chucking the ball to Byron Marshall. That was not some feeble team on we lost to, they were on fire and we were beat up and lacking depth.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thanks 1

DuckFan93, thanks for the comment. Marcus was not alone in losing to No. 4 seed Ohio State.  Continuing the theme, the No. 1 seed Alabama Death Star could not overcome this Buckeyes team in a 'home game' in the Sugar Bowl. 

That was a loaded Ohio State team that produced many long-active NFL players. Oregon was soundly defeated on both LOS. And it was Urban Meyer vs Mark Helfrich. There was disappointment of course but no shame in losing to that team.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Do you agree that UW is Oregon's marquee conference opponent? I think from a fan's perspective Ohio State will be right with the Huskies but Oregon will not play Ohio State every season. For Ohio State fans the rival will always be: That School Up North. 

Chance to break 3-game losing streaks against two teams this season when Boise State and UW visit.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Ranking the football rivalries as the league balloons to 18 teams in the 2024 season

On 6/28/2024 at 6:08 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Do you agree that UW is Oregon's marquee conference opponent? I think from a fan's perspective Ohio State will be right with the Huskies but Oregon will not play Ohio State every season. For Ohio State fans the rival will always be: That School Up North. 

Chance to break 3-game losing streaks against two teams this season when Boise State and UW visit.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Ranking the football rivalries as the league balloons to 18 teams in the 2024 season

There will no doubt be years where there are more important games for making the playoffs, but we’ve removed all doubt that they’re our primary rival, and arguably really have been since 1994.

I have to ask though, if you’re on the list twice, is the second listed game really worthy? Nebraska on there three times feels like a stretch.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Applause 1

The B1G is chock full of traditions and trophy games. For many of us stunned by the rapid changes to the college game, it is nice to see that the oldest conference in the land does not forget its past.

October 18, 1924, the opening of Memorial Stadium at Illinois featured mighty Michigan visiting the Fighting Illini. Illinois triumphed in what would come to be known as the 'Red Grange Game.' In 2008  ESPN named Grange the greatest college football player of all time. Back in the 1920s and through the 1950s, pro football paled in comparison to the interest in the college game.

The Galloping Ghost took the opening kickoff back 95 yards for a TD and ran for 3 more TDs in the 1st quarter, five total for the game. He also threw 3 TD passes for a total of 8 TDs in Illinois's 39-14 upset win. 

On October 19, 2024, Michigan visits Illinois to celebrate the 100th anniversary of The Galloping Ghost game. 

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

All of the best traditions in the Big Ten Conference that Oregon Duck fans need to learn about going into 2024.

Be true to your school!

I hope this article will add to your discussion between CFB Then and Now. There has always been roster turnover in CFB but not on the level we witness today. 

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

How many programs are still looking for a quarterback? Is it time to panic in the Sunshine State?

Fasten your seat belts.

Predicting the Playoff. Courtesy of Saturday Down South's Connor O'Gara. We have our first B1G team in Connor's Bracket; Iowa. 

I agree with Connor that with its schedule and 9 guys back from a great defense, Iowa will contend for a PO spot in 2024.

WWW.SATURDAYDOWNSOUTH.COM

How will the Hawkeyes fare in 2024? By getting to that all-important 10 wins.

To date, Connor has Memphis from the AAC representing the G5 and earning the 12 seed. He has Utah seeded 11, so he will have at least two B12 teams in the mix with the conference champion (OK ST, K ST?) joining the Utes.