Duckley Palace

Thee Great OSU

How many weeks till we're out of this pathetic heap of a so called conference? Texas and Oklahoma became official SEC members this week.

I was out at a gathering the other night . The conversation shifted from silly things like debates, to more important things like Oregon crushing Michigan and Ohio State(at home). Some dude who nobody was talking to , let us know how much it annoys him that Ohio State has "The" at the beginning of their name.

He turned out to be an Oregon State Beavis alum or whatever. The guy went on a four minute tirade about how Ohio State isn't better than any other OSU in the country(academically they really are but shhh). The little Beavis began saying how Oregon State should have "Thee Great" in front of Oregon State. Nothing about Oklahoma State though. I told him that it doesn't matter, but the manner in which he was using "Thee" wasn't correct.

He told me he taught literature, and studied all the classic writings of the thespian masters. Maybe I was wrong. I told him to have a good night, and to have a designated driver at the ready. He didn't get my meaning, probably because I wasn't a "Thespian Master". 

But please let Oregon State get granted "Thee Great Oregon State's" Masters of the WacVerse.

• Haha 3
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

spacer.png

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

'The' is already taken, maybe' that?' I kind of like' this,' or it could be just 'A.' 

Buckeyes could stay tosu, beavs could be aosu, cowboys could just be cosu. Maybe 'that' osu is the beavs, 'this' the cowboys and 'the' for the bucks?

They would all be wise to realize the only university that really puts everything on their name being 'the,' Miami, 'the u,' is irrelevant.

Unknown-1.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Color me uninformed, but I've always heard THE Ohio State, but haven't noticed they say THE OSU, which makes more sense to me. I mean, there are at least 3 OSU's that I know of. If there are several Ohio States, I'm not familiar with any except the one in Columbus.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/5/2024 at 10:54 AM, Annie said:

Color me uninformed, but I've always heard THE Ohio State, but haven't noticed they say THE OSU, which makes more sense to me. I mean, there are at least 3 OSU's that I know of. If there are several Ohio States, I'm not familiar with any except the one in Columbus.

Ohio State applied for a patent on 'The' before Ohio State University and was rightfully denied. Thus, I like to use: 'the Ohio State University.'

We'll see which is the real B1G O on 10/12/24.😁 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Well the University of Texas is actually equally arrogant. You can find bumper stickers and back window decals all over the state with burnt orange lettering that proclaim the place as The University (as if no other center of higher learning in the state really matters). That always irked me as much as THE Ohio State University (maybe more).

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/5/2024 at 10:18 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Well the University of Texas is actually equally arrogant. You can find bumper stickers and back window decals all over the state with burnt orange lettering that proclaim the place as The University (as if no other center of higher learning in the state really matters). That always irked me as much as THE Ohio State University (maybe more).

Ah, yes, the University of TX. Reminds me of going to the 2000 Holiday Bowl when the Ducks played TX. TX announced that their (planned) victory would launch their march to a national title in the next season. TX fans were positive they would beat Oregon, and 95% of the TX fans were nasty and/or obnoxious (there were a couple of nice TX fans). Oh, how fun to watch the Ducks win that game and see the TX fans slinking out of the stadium after the game was over, as the Duck fans stayed to watch the after-game fireworks display and celebrate the victory. It was the game when Joey scored a running touchdown, a passing touchdown, and a reception for a touchdown.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/6/2024 at 1:18 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

You can find bumper-stickers friend ND, but on 10/19 will you be able to find a hotel room East of El Paso or Lubbock? 

Question for you my friend. Per Sports Illustrated, Florida's 2024 schedule is ranked 1st in the nation, Bama's 9th. and Georgia tied 20th with Arkansas. Ole Miss SOS is 46th, Texas, with a game at Michigan, is tied 49th, Auburn is tied 52nd, Tennessee 68th, and Mizzou a robust (meaning easy peasy and not the obsequious 'manageable,') 127th! How can you play your ball in the SEC and have a SOS easier than the majority of G5 teams?

What did Bama and UGA do to the folks at HQ to deserve this? Who was the bag man for Mizzou, Gary Pinkle? Gary must have come with a Santa Claus-like bag.

And the UF, Bama, and UGA ADs (these 3 should have clout, Arkansas?) are allowing Greg Sankey to produce a sequel of the same movie in 2025-26.  Why? I Don't Get It. Sure, the venues change in 2025 but the quality of the opposition will not vary significantly if at all. 

In the B1G SOS ranges from USC 2nd to Nebraska 83rd. But in the conference schedules through 2028, USC has one protected opponent, UCLA, and the Cornhuskers have one, Iowa. Otherwise, the in-conference schedule strengths vary greatly from season to season; all B1G teams will play one another at least three times from 2024 through 2028. 

[FYI - 11 B1G schools, including Oregon at No. 5, have SOSs ranked in the top 20. Seven SEC schools are in the top 20.]

Best to the Dawgs in 2024.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m inclined towards, ‘Who Dat?’ For the OSU up the road.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dawgs will manage their schedule no matter what. And by the way 20th is by far the lowest I've seen Georgia's schedule rated anywhere--and Sports Illustrated has become somewhat of a joke in the college football credibility world I'm told.

I notice that no mention was made on the board of the SEC's ratings of strength of schedules when the list came out. Not surprisingly given the source, the biggest number of tough schedules were in the SEC. These off-season lists are clown shows in my opinion. For example the BIG fared very poorly on this strength of schedule--only one or none as I recall in the top 10. That's obviously as bogus as Sports Illustrated. Except for Oregon, I hate the B1G, but partisan as I may be, I know there are B1G schedules out there that are very tough. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2024 at 1:25 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

Dawgs will manage their schedule no matter what. And by the way 20th is by far the lowest I've seen Georgia's schedule rated anywhere--and Sports Illustrated has become somewhat of a joke in the college football credibility world I'm told.

I notice that no mention was made on the board of the SEC's ratings of strength of schedules when the list came out. Not surprisingly given the source, the biggest number of tough schedules were in the SEC. These off-season lists are clown shows in my opinion. For example the BIG fared very poorly on this strength of schedule--only one or none as I recall in the top 10. That's obviously as bogus as Sports Illustrated. Except for Oregon, I hate the B1G, but partisan as I may be, I know there are B1G schedules out there that are very tough. 

All fair points, no surprise.

Sports Illustrated's SOS (SI) rankings are calculated according to your 2024 opponents' records in 2023. Perfect? Heck no. But I prefer it to using preseason polls. Especially, and no offense intended, when nine SEC teams, more than half of the conference are ranked in several preseason polls. 

Georgia, Alabama, and Florida in particular have difficult OOC games but also a tougher row to hoe in the SEC. Every calculation of the strength of SEC schedules I read from numerous sites, including Saturdays Down South, has Missouri with the easiest SEC schedule, including and excluding out-of-conference games.

Out of 134 teams SOS-ranked, SI ranked Mizzou 127. Georgia 20, Bama, 9, and Florida 1. Peruse the schedules and I think you will agree that the SI rankings are not of course spot on but in general indicate the level of competition. 

IMO and I believe in Billy Napier's opinion, a 9-3 Florida with OOC games vs P4 Miami, UCF, FSU, and Samford, and conference games vs. A+M, TN, KY, UGA, TX, LSU, MS St, and Ole Miss, would have a far better argument for Playoff inclusion than a 10-2 Missouri playing Murray State, Buffalo (Bulls not Bills,) UMass and Boston College OOC and A+M, Vandy, Auburn, Bama, SO CAR, OK, Miss State, and Arkansas in-conference. And the conference schedule will be the same in 2025. 

I respect the 'stiff upper lip' attitude and in truth, what can one fan do? However, a schedule like Mizzou plays in 2024 is not equitable compared to the schedules other playoff-contending teams will play. Teams like SOS 2nd ranked USC, 5th ranked Oregon, and nine other B1G teams playing schedules in the top 20 SOS. The superior top-to-bottom SEC has six teams in the top 20 including Vandy and Mississippi State.  

Joel Klatt pointed out earlier this year that if the Football PO Committee uses only Ws and Ls unlike the Basketball Committee which uses a uniform SOS calculation with teams separated by Quads, will come up with teams with better records inferior to teams invited to the Playoff. 

SOS in the bowl era mattered not. Mattered somewhat but not that much more with the BCS and 4-team Playoff, but will matter in a 12-team Playoff, especially to teams knocked out by lower-ranked ACC, B12, and G5 teams. 

Best of luck to UGA in 2024. See you in Miami? Or, maybe in Atlanta? 

It may not make much difference to the SEC as a conference, but I cannot imagine Georgia fans being copacetic with an 11-1 Missouri being valued by the Committee the same as an 11-1 Georgia. Especially when seeding provides a 1st round home game for teams No. 5 through No. 8.

Also enjoy your thoughts. I think that strength of schdules are a simmering issue that will boil over on Decenber 8, 2024; especially, if the Committee simply 'wings it' when it comes to determining SOS. 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Nevada Dawg - Florida is in an SOS tier of its own per Mr, Ford. UGA and Oregon are on his second level of SOS and in his opinion will contend for a PO spot with a 10-2 record. 

Another question I have regarding the 12-team PO is, if you are at 10-2 with a difficult schedule and already a serious contender for a PO invite is it better to play in a conference champ game and possibly finish 10-3 or go for the PO gold first-round bye with a conference championship?

Bama Hammer is a Dixie guy paying attention to scheduling. Another guy pointing out that Mizzou has a relative cupcake walk.

BAMAHAMMER.COM

The addition of Oklahoma and Texas is great for the SEC Football. Their brands are two of the biggest in college football. With 14 teams, the SEC was the toughe

Parochial much? OK and UT will further separate the SEC from the B1G, right? Bama Hammer notes that TX made the PO in 2023. He does not note that in-coming Washinton defeated Texas in Texas. He also overlooks that USC is a premier football blue-blood brand with Puddles on the way.

More folks watched Oregon play ball in the 2023 regular season than watched the Sooners and the Longhorns.

Sorry friend ND. I meant to conclude my above post that referenced your take with: I always appreciate reading your thoughts.

PS - Another Georgia golfer appears to be on his way to a PGA win. D Thompson is 6 under on the front 9 and ahead by 6 shots.

A win would get Thompson an invite to the British Open.

It will always be anOhio State for me.  

• Applause 1

They file for several federal trademark registrations for The Ohio State University. While a few have been abandoned many have been granted, i.e., registered trademarks

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2024 at 9:26 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Ohio State applied for a patent on 'The' before Ohio State University and was rightfully denied. Thus, I like to use: 'the Ohio State University.'

We'll see which is the real B1G O on 10/12/24.😁 

Patent office when asked why the denial: “Let’s see here (checks notes), ah yes, already owned by Jim Harbaugh.”

image.thumb.gif.de613c490196d1d1db04b9a74a85d4f3.gif

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1