Charles Fischer

Whoa! The B1G is Going to Have to Adjust to OREGON'S Physicality?

Just the thought of Oregon being this way gives Mario Cristobal indigestion...

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Seeing how violent players were with their own teammates in the spring game backs up the talk from my perspective.

Ohio State speed with Michigan physicality is a scary combination for opponents. Just like last last year "Oregon is team nobody wants to play."

Size and speed, Oregon has both. 

It will take NFL caliber DLineman to consistently negate our offensive line. It also will take NFL caliber Olinemen to deal with our defensive front.

An opponent will have to be very successful on third downs to beat the Ducks. 

Was the B1G really any better than the PAC last year? Clearly Michigan was better than UW, but both went undefeated and made the final. Continue down the line and I’d argue the top 5 were pretty on par.

Be curious to see how much better the rank and file of the conference really is. I’m starting to think the answer is marginally so at best. They too will be dealing with an improved conference adding at least one more mega game to everyone’s schedule versus last year.

Looks like a bunch of UCLA’s to me!

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Applause 1

OREGON! The most physical B1G team?

Woody 😒and Bo 😵are rolling in their B1G graves. 

Make It So!

• Applause 1

I've told my fellow posters that on the Talk'n Dawgs site that DL is building an SEC caliber team in Eugene,  and several pitched in to say that they like the Ducks' physicality.

My .02 worth: The rank and file of the PAC-12 in its final year was superior to last year's B1G rank and file IMHO. Michigan was a worthy champ, but top to bottom, the PAC may well have been the better overall aggregation.

• Thanks 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

I'm still in show me mode about the B1G's statistically tough defenses, as in show me it wasn't just that your offenses statistically suck.

Also, I think the bad weather thing is a little overrated too. With exception of the PO games we are talking about late fall Midwest weather for at worst, which isn't that bad 95% of the time.

I'd strongly prefer 20-30 degrees and dry vs 40 and raining having played football in both.

I think they use the weather as an excuse for archaic offensive systems. As in we have to have a strong running game in case the weather is bad. Ok but what about the other 95% of the games where you can't keep up? 

Even Fickel at Wisconsin has seen enough to feel confident to bring in the air raid.

Edited by Solar
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1

Bottom feeder WSU won home and away against the mighty Wisconsin.

• Thumbs Up 1

While the rest of the country plays touch football in April, the Ducks sent several players out with injuries during their Spring Game. 

Be afraid BIG. Be very afraid.

• Applause 1

On 7/11/2024 at 9:09 AM, Solar said:

I'm still in show me mode about the B1G's statistically tough defenses, as in show me it wasn't just that your offenses statistically suck.

Also, I think the bad weather thing is a little overrated too. With exception of the PO games we are talking about late fall Midwest weather for at worst, which isn't that bad 95% of the time.

I'd strongly prefer 20-30 degrees and dry vs 40 and raining having played football in both.

I think they use the weather as an excuse for archaic offensive systems. As in we have to have a strong running game in case the weather is bad. Ok but what about the other 95% of the games where you can't keep up? 

Even Fickel at Wisconsin has seen enough to feel confident to bring in the air raid.

I love the narrative that we somehow played all our games on a beach in 70 degree weather. Salt Lake? Boulder? Pullman? Pacific Northwest (3 other schools), games where it was over 100 at kickoff in the desert in the early fall? Gorgeous pouring rain in the Bay Area in November?

We are at most likely looking at one additional bad weather game of snow this year versus any other year in the history of OBD.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

The QB play in the B1G was far behind the play in the Pac-12 in 2023. The Pac-12 top to bottom was the deeper conference. The QB play in the B1G should improve in 2024 but it will not be close to Pac-12 play in 2023. On paper, the SEC looks to have the best crop of QBs in 2024 but we will not see a QB-heavy 1st round draft in 2025 that we witnessed in 2025. 

The Iowa QB and the Wisconsin QB were injured early on. The Iowa O has to improve and if Ficlel doesn't go Mari(o) on Miami transfer QB Van Dyck, the Badgers should improve. Both Indiana and Minnesota have brought in transfers who should improve the position. Nebraska lost 5 one-score games last season and Matt Ruhle was able to poach 5* QB Dylan Raiola from Kirby Smart. With Saban's departure, Ryan Day brought in 5* QB Julian ('Just') Sayin. 

I think the questions and comments regarding defense in the B1G are warranted. Michigan and Ohio State had awesome Ds in 2023. Michigan's D may drop off somewhat but Ohio State's D should improve. The Ducks and Danno are bringing a solid D into the B1G. UCLA, USC, and UW?

Based on recruiting rankings it is no surprise that the SEC, especially with the Oklahoma and Texas additions, is the deepest and most successful conference. (Duh.)

These 2024 out-of-conference games are important for the B1G's national perception. USC vs LSU and Notre Dame. Michigan vs Texas. Wisconsin vs Alabama. UCLA vs LSU. Rutgers at VA Tech. Minnesota vs UNC. Purdue vs Notre Dame. Penn State at W VA. MI State at Boston College. Kansas at Illinois. Boise (the preseason polls G5 front-runner) at OBD. CU at Nebraska. Iowa State at Iowa. The B1G 2 vs The Left Behinds.

I hope in December that the B1G will have five teams contending for the Playoff. OREGON, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Iowa all have a shot at 10 or more wins. IMO, the SEC will have at least five teams with a shot at the playoff. 

It's going to be B1G!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 7/11/2024 at 1:36 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

I love the narrative that we somehow played all our games on a beach in 70 degree weather. Salt Lake? Boulder? Pullman? Pacific Northwest (3 other schools), games where it was over 100 at kickoff in the desert in the early fall? Gorgeous pouring rain in the Bay Area in November?

We are at most likely looking at one additional bad weather game of snow this year versus any other year in the history of OBD.

I would prefer OBD to play in Ann Arbor and Madison in October and not November but with a coast-to-coast conference bad weather games will happen. Michigan is game No. 6 in an eight-game run without a week off and Wiscon is game No. 8.

As you noted Jabbar, cold weather itself is not that problematic but cold weather with wind is a witch. 

OK, has the Civil War ever been played in nice weather?

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/10/2024 at 10:23 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

I've told my fellow posters that on the Talk'n Dawgs site that DL is building an SEC caliber team in Eugene,  and several pitched in to say that they like the Ducks' physicality.

And this is why recruiting at a high level and player retention is so important - it results in depth.

Dan Lanning wants to play aggressive, physical football. That is inevitably going to lead to dings and injuries, especially with a lengthened season (and playing 8 straight weeks this season). We need depth and a minimal drop off from the starters to manage through the long season to achieve the team’s goal.

The Alabama’s and Georgia’s have been able to get to that level and it’s paid off with multiple national championships. Hopefully, Dan Lanning and the Oregon Ducks are on the same trajectory.  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/11/2024 at 10:58 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I would prefer OBD to play in Ann Arbor and Madison in October and not November but with a coast-to-coast conference bad weather games will happen.

Surprised that the B1G didn’t meet the 4 joining team’s demands that all Midwest and Northeast road games be played early in the season or in domes… 😉 

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Haha 1