NJDuck

Georgia's Kirby Smart Shades Oregon, Nike's Phil Knight over NIL Donations

Dan Lanning and Nike receiving attention from Kirby Smart at SEC media days:

It's not often Kirby Smart finds himself envious, but that's apparently the case when it comes to Oregon's massive NIL pool.

Smart threw a little shade at Oregon and Phil Knight over the Nike founder's NIL donations during his SEC Media Day press conference on Tuesday

“I wish I could get some of that NIL money he's giving Dan Lanning," Smart told reporters.

Smart's comments certainly seemed more on the joking side of things than any actual bitterness.

BLEACHERREPORT.COM

It's not often Kirby Smart finds himself envious, but that's apparently the case when it comes to Oregon's massive NIL pool. Smart threw a little shade at…

• Whew! 1

Kirby was just being playful as he's still on really good terms with DL.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm not sure this is "shade" but Oregon's NIL is perhaps the best in the country. 

Smart gets the Smart discount where he can get players with lower NIL because he has two national championships and can sell players on that. 

Saban and Bama had the Saban discount. Right now I think DeBoer is getting some benefit of the doubt right now. It'll be interesting to see how that holds. 

• Thumbs Up 2

He is playfully saying what everyone is thinking, and yet it is not true.  I CANNOT IMAGINE that two-time National Champion Georgia does not have access to an equal amount of NIL resources....

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Oh Kirby!

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

As part of the same statement, Kirby expressed a lot of love for Phil Knight and NIKE. 

Kirby took a shot at Saint Nick: 'I didn't have my media badge yesterday but unlike Coach Saban, I was not sent back to my hotel room; security let me in.

Whatever Disney/ESPN is paying Nick Saban it's not enough. An instant media star. In an interview with Finebaum today he acknowledged that he used the media whenever he could for his team's benefit and thanked Paul for being the 'rat poison's' top exterminator. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I absolutely don’t think Kirby’s intention was to throw any shade over Oregon or CDL.  It seemed more of a light hearted jab that one might throw at a friend to lighten the mood of whatever situation.  I think it more of an endorsement of CDL as someone to respect and watch in the CFB world.  He wouldn’t have even mentioned the Ducks or Knight or Lanning in this manner if they weren’t already considered a major player in CFB going forward and on everyone’s radar.  

I think Kirby absolutely respects Lanning and the Duck’s program.  I think we could see some great games in the future between these two programs!

Edited by SoGaDawg
  • Thanks 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

I can guarantee that Kirby respects Lanning and the Ducks program. And if anyone still had any doubts, the good natured jabbing between Saban and Smart at SEC media days should put to rest forever the ridiculous assertion of many Dawg and Bama fans that the two men don't like each other. I am fortunate to get to know each of these men at different points in my academic career.

They are both decent honorable men who truly respect each other. Kirby was still calling Saban coach during the interview, and Saban called Kirby the best assistant coach he ever had. They wanted to beat each other's brains out between the lines. but only within the context of a sporting event.

I suspect that someday Kirby and DL will talk about each other in the same way.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

And no way does Kirby want to alienate any Nike $$.

He was just funnin. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This was more like a blade of grass in the desert. Not much shade. Kind of like me wishing I had the same numbers in my bank account as my buddy who's daddy invested in Apple back in the day.

• Applause 1

If not the Portal King Danno is at the least a Prince.

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

Like it or not, the transfer portal has become a major part of college football.

Deion? When the on-field results = 4 Ws should you be on the list?

• Haha 1

Gotta love all the Oregon envy now.

They could have had PK/Nike if they recognized Oregon for what it was/could be, rather than consider it a "stepping stone" program.

Don't get to whine about it now.

I think Kirby would rather see the top talent go way out west rather than to his SEC competition if he can’t get them himself. He is Smart after all.

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 2

On 7/17/2024 at 10:30 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I think Kirby would rather see the top talent go way out west rather than to his SEC competition if he can’t get them himself. He is Smart after all.

THAT is a really good observation.  Same for us with California recruits; if we are going to lose a great one--better to Georgia, than to USC.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/17/2024 at 1:30 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I couldn’t agree with you more.  I’m sure if Kirby is going to lose out on a big time recruit, he would much rather lose out to Lanning and the Ducks than to an SEC team.  

Obviously, Kirby is a competitor and so his main feeling for any other team is to want to beat them as handily as possible.  He isn’t calling off the “Dawgs” for anyone, unless there is some strategy in it that he feels benefits GA. Although, it’s my guess that Kirby does genuinely have a bit of affection for Lanning and with this a bit for the Ducks.  He looked completely comfortable throwing a little jab towards Lanning and the Ducks.  I think that’s pretty cool.

I think another prime example of Kirby’s relationship with Lanning can be illustrated in his post game press conference after their meeting in Atlanta.  This was Lannings first game and unfortunately he had to face an extremely talented GA team.  If I am remembering correctly, one of Kirby’s comments on the game was simply something like “Look guys, we’ve just got better players at this point and that makes it very tough.”  

In the comment above, I don’t believe Kirby was making excuses for Lanning, but I do think he said it in defense of Lanning.  The optics of that game were not a good look for Lanning.  Kirby knew Lanning is a great coach, recruiter, and so on….  So I think in that comment he was using a factual statement to convey to all of Oregon’s supporters that they shouldn’t lose any faith in Lanning as the leader of the program.  

So now here we are.  Lanning has the Ducks very much on the rise.  He quickly turned the job offer from Bama down flat and cemented his commitment to Oregon.  This also put to bed the nasty rumor that Oregon is just a high end stepping stone program.  That was a huge moment.  Lanning is the man!  He is my second favorite coach in all of CFB!

Edited by SoGaDawg
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 7/17/2024 at 7:27 PM, SoGaDawg said:

I couldn’t agree with you more.  I’m sure if Kirby is going to lose out on a big time recruit, he would much rather lose out to Lanning and the Ducks than to an SEC team.  

Obviously, Kirby is a competitor and so his main feeling for any other team is to want to beat them as handily as possible.  He isn’t calling off the “Dawgs” for anyone, unless there is some strategy in it that he feels benefits GA. Although, it’s my guess that Kirby does genuinely have a bit of affection for Lanning and with this a bit for the Ducks.  He looked completely comfortable throwing a little jab towards Lanning and the Ducks.  I think that’s pretty cool.

I think another prime example of Kirby’s relationship with Lanning can be illustrated in his post game press conference after their meeting in Atlanta.  This was Lannings first game and unfortunately he had to face an extremely talented GA team.  If I am remembering correctly, one of Kirby’s comments on the game was simply something like “Look guys, we’ve just got better players at this point and that makes it very tough.”  

In the comment above, I don’t believe Kirby was making excuses for Lanning, but I do think he said it in defense of Lanning.  The optics of that game were not a good look for Lanning.  Kirby knew Lanning is a great coach, recruiter, and so on….  So I think in that comment he was using a factual statement to convey to all of Oregon’s supporters that they shouldn’t lose any faith in Lanning as the leader of the program.  

So now here we are.  Lanning has the Ducks very much on the rise.  He quickly turned the job offer from Bama down flat and cemented his commitment to Oregon.  This also put to bed the nasty rumor that Oregon is just a high end stepping stone program.  That was a huge moment.  Lanning is the man!  He is my second favorite coach in all of CFB!

With that being said, and Oregon now being in the Big Ten. Does anybody in SEC land fear the Big Ten planting a flag in South Carolina, Florida, or Georgia?

On 7/18/2024 at 1:05 AM, Duckley Palace said:

With that being said, and Oregon now being in the Big Ten. Does anybody in SEC land fear the Big Ten planting a flag in South Carolina, Florida, or Georgia?

I wish that I could say no, that there is no one worried, but I don’t think that is true.  I think the fear would mostly be surrounding recruiting and also the potential for the B1G to outpace from a revenue standpoint.  

If you look at the top 100 recruits each year for the past years, the SEC has gotten the lions share of these recruits and it hasn’t been particularly close.  It looks as though the B1G is already maybe starting to lessen the gap since their new west coast additions.  I’m not sure the numbers but I think the 2025 commitments right now are closer than years past.  I would speculate that if they had teams in the south, prime SEC recruiting land, they will close the gap further.  I think this might be a big concern for the SEC.  

As far as the revenue concerns, I can’t really make an educated prognostication in this area.  Other than it kinda makes sense that the B1G expanding into new and flourishing markets would increase their revenue and revenue sharing as a conference.  For example if the SEC were to add FSU, Clemson, or Georgia Tech, it wouldn’t really necessarily increase their market area.  In contrast, if the B1G added one or all of these programs it could open up potentially new big markets.  

So yes, I think there is definitely fear of the B1G invading the Southeast.  New markets and a ridiculous number of high level recruits to fight over. 

Edited by SoGaDawg

On 7/18/2024 at 12:04 AM, SoGaDawg said:

I wish that I could say no, that there is no one worried, but I don’t think that is true.  I think the fear would mostly be surrounding recruiting and also the potential for the B1G to outpace from a revenue standpoint.  

If you look at the top 100 recruits each year for the past years, the SEC has gotten the lions share of these recruits and it hasn’t been particularly close.  It looks as though the B1G is already maybe starting to lessen the gap since their new west coast additions.  I’m not sure the numbers but I think the 2025 commitments right now are closer than years past.  I would speculate that if they had teams in the south, prime SEC recruiting land, they will close the gap further.  I think this might be a big concern for the SEC.  

As far as the revenue concerns, I can’t really make an educated prognostication in this area.  Other than it kinda makes sense that the B1G expanding into new and flourishing markets would increase their revenue and revenue sharing as a conference.  For example if the SEC were to add FSU, Clemson, or Georgia Tech, it wouldn’t really necessarily increase their market area.  In contrast, if the B1G added one or all of these programs it could open up potentially new big markets.  

So yes, I think there is definitely fear of the B1G invading the Southeast.  New markets and a ridiculous number of high level recruits to fight over. 

I don't buy the reports of the B1G not wanting FSU or Clemson. I think it's a way of avoiding a tampering charge until those two are legally allowed to leave. With that said, I do believe the SEC has no interest in those two. Especially FSU with their past of turning down membership, and Florida not wanting them in conference. I know Texas A&M didn't want Texas, but Florida is a founding SEC member, and Texas is kind of a huge deal. No offense to A&M, but Texas is the program in that state.

Would the SEC add Clemson, FSU, or Georgia Tech as a defensive method?

On 7/19/2024 at 2:57 PM, Duckley Palace said:

I don't buy the reports of the B1G not wanting FSU or Clemson. I think it's a way of avoiding a tampering charge until those two are legally allowed to leave. With that said, I do believe the SEC has no interest in those two. Especially FSU with their past of turning down membership, and Florida not wanting them in conference. I know Texas A&M didn't want Texas, but Florida is a founding SEC member, and Texas is kind of a huge deal. No offense to A&M, but Texas is the program in that state.

Good question. Fox shut ESPN out of the LA market after their B12 broadcast 'partner' purloined Oklahoma and Texas. 

But with ESPN and Fox recently joining Warner to form a streaming entity, Venu, what are today's media battle rules? Similarly, the B1G and the SEC formed an 'advisory group.'  Why compete for new properties with Venu on the scene? I think FSU and Clemson did not properly read the marketplace. IMO, Clemson and FSU should have threatened litigation if not given a bigger slice of the media pie and a post-season split of 'you eat what you kill?'  I think a whole lot of legal fees may not be recouped. Potential private equity deals have also altered the traditional media income calculus. 

The B1G and the SEC are on antitrust and interference with a contract tip toes. The Power 2 conferences do not want to be accused of doing anything to crater the ACC.

What happens if the B1G adds Notre Dame and UNC after the ACC implodes and the SEC adds two or more teams? Playoff, or a World Series between the P2? 

If it's the B1G in charge and not Fox, B1G presidents will not invite a non-AAU member school to join the conference. The SEC has the flagship Florida team in Gainesville. And South Carolina is covered by USC (E.)

The ACC deal, which ESPN can cancel in February 2025, is perhaps the best the ACC's two biggest brands can score. 

I am very happy that Puddles caught the last plane out of the Pac-10!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/19/2024 at 2:57 PM, Duckley Palace said:

Yeah, good question.  I am wondering the same thing.  If ACC schools become available to potentially join a different conference, will the SEC go after a program that doesn’t uniquely add to their market share just to keep the B1G from expanding their market?  

Honestly, it wouldn’t really surprise me.  I’m not going to pretend to fully understand the reasoning or ramifications of such complex issues, but it seems to me that the SEC and the B1G are certainly the big boys on the block and will be only be competing with each other in such things.  Who knows what might happen or to what lengths each might go to stay or be on top?

I kinda think the SEC would be more interested initially in pursuing a team such as UNC.  Who knows though?  Both the SEC and the B1G have made moves to strengthen their revenue.  I think the next moves by each will be in an attempt, either defensively or offensively aggressively, to ensure that the other conference doesn’t distance themselves from a revenue standpoint.  

Edited by SoGaDawg
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/19/2024 at 8:18 PM, SoGaDawg said:

Yeah, good question.  I am wondering the same thing.  If ACC schools become available to potentially join a different conference, will the SEC go after a program that doesn’t uniquely add to their market share just to keep the B1G from expanding their market?  

Honestly, it wouldn’t really surprise me.  I’m not going to pretend to fully understand the reasoning or ramifications of such complex issues, but it seems to me that the SEC and the B1G are certainly the big boys on the block and will be only be competing with each other in such things.  Who knows what might happen or to what lengths each might go to stay or be on top?

I kinda think the SEC would be more interested initially in pursuing a team such as UNC.  Who knows though?  Both the SEC and the B1G have made moves to strengthen their revenue.  I think the next moves by each will be in an attempt, either defensively or offensively aggressively, to ensure that the other conference doesn’t distance themselves from a revenue standpoint.  

If there is an 'open market' for UNC it will be one heck of a battle. UNC checks every box for the B1G and the SEC. The Power 2 has no team in North Carolina, a state projected to have the 5th largest population in the nation in 2030. And BBall wise? 

UVA? Another market without a P2 team but Maryland for the B1G is close and would UVA bring enough to the bottom line for the B1G and the SEC?

As Greg Sankey said recently, 'Why would we want to split what we already have?' 

Despite B12's Yormark's bluster, two conferences are and will be the future of college athletics.

• Applause 1

On 7/19/2024 at 9:30 PM, Jon Joseph said:

If there is an 'open market' for UNC it will be one heck of a battle. UNC checks every box for the B1G and the SEC. The Power 2 has no team in North Carolina, a state projected to have the 5th largest population in the nation in 2030. And BBall wise? 

UVA? Another market without a P2 team but Maryland for the B1G is close and would UVA bring enough to the bottom line for the B1G and the SEC?

As Greg Sankey said recently, 'Why would we want to split what we already have?' 

Despite B12's Yormark's bluster, two conferences are and will be the future of college athletics.

Absolutely, this is exactly my reasoning regarding UNC.  I’m sure both the SEC and the B1G would love to add the market UNC would bring.  

Also, you make a great point about the BBall aspect.  I had yet to even consider that.  Certainly both conferences would love to add a blue blood hoops program.  Could get interesting if or when UNC is available!

Who knows exactly what future expansion will look like?  UVA might not be sought after quite as aggressively, but I think both conferences would likely see both them and Maryland as viable members, among others potentially.

Edited by SoGaDawg
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/19/2024 at 1:35 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Good question. Fox shut ESPN out of the LA market after their B12 broadcast 'partner' purloined Oklahoma and Texas. 

But with ESPN and Fox recently joining Warner to form a streaming entity, Venu, what are today's media battle rules? Similarly, the B1G and the SEC formed an 'advisory group.'  Why compete for new properties with Venu on the scene? I think FSU and Clemson did not properly read the marketplace. IMO, Clemson and FSU should have threatened litigation if not given a bigger slice of the media pie and a post-season split of 'you eat what you kill?'  I think a whole lot of legal fees may not be recouped. Potential private equity deals have also altered the traditional media income calculus. 

The B1G and the SEC are on antitrust and interference with a contract tip toes. The Power 2 conferences do not want to be accused of doing anything to crater the ACC.

What happens if the B1G adds Notre Dame and UNC after the ACC implodes and the SEC adds two or more teams? Playoff, or a World Series between the P2? 

If it's the B1G in charge and not Fox, B1G presidents will not invite a non-AAU member school to join the conference. The SEC has the flagship Florida team in Gainesville. And South Carolina is covered by USC (E.)

The ACC deal, which ESPN can cancel in February 2025, is perhaps the best the ACC's two biggest brands can score. 

I am very happy that Puddles caught the last plane out of the Pac-10!

Good points. If it's an AAU issue then I can see the problem with the two ACC football powers. FSU is actually getting close to AAU status, they've invested heavily into their academic structure the last ten years. Ironically the same period their football team began to suffer. Clemson is purely a get because of what their football team has done the last decade.

If the B1G wants to get into the Carolina's, I'd bet North was their preference. But getting into Florida with the fourth highest population has to be a carrot that they are eyeing. I don't think FSU just decided to raise a fuss without getting some positive feedback from a conference that can offer them more. The Big Twelve isn't any better than the ACC. So I really believe FSU has had conversations, Clemson waited a while before they joined the fight. To me that is pretty telling.

But I don't know. I didn't know last year at this time that Puddles would be a couple weeks away from telling the PAC Who to kick sand.

• Applause 1