Charles Fischer

Why Dan Lanning Will Have a No. 1 Recruiting Class...

Not this year, but if Oregon finishes in the Playoff Semi-finals or better this year?  Look out in future years!

You read the article by a hard-core Trojan writer below, (See Holy Crap! thread) and when even our biggest adversaries are noticing what we see about Lanning...the last domino to fall for a No. 1 recruiting class is showing the CFB world that we, indeed, are in the elite.

It is remarkable how well Lanning has done considering our results, and players are comfortable and attracted to him. I really believe that if we have a fantastic year in 2024? We could beat Ryan Day and Kirby Smart....or I should say that Dan Lanning will be more attractive to recruits than the aforementioned.

This is why I don't sweat it too much, as I have confidence in the future.  Now let's have a great year and finish that domino!

Lanning2_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

Come to Oregon!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

Charles, I ❤️the optimism. No. 1 recruiting class would require signing studs down south who have in-state choices across fertile recruiting territory in Dixie and also signing close to every stud in California,

Composite No. 1? Recruiting and Portaling? I can see this and I do see this happening or darn close very soon. But all of the top recruits from Dixie? That's a Herculean ask and task. Many SEC teams have war chests up there with Division Street and parents who want to watch their son play closer to home. 

You don't have to get them all. Michigan with a roster not that close to Ohio State's has defeated the Buckeyes 3 seasons in a row, been to the 4-team PO 3 years in a row, and came up with the Roses vs, Bama and made Washington not want to go back to Houston. 

I see a Ducks coaching staff bringing in their kind of quality recruits with lots of 4* and 5*s in the mix and getting them to play together as a focused, eye on the prize team. 

How did that 'superstar' team at A+M work out? 😒

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

A&M had Jumbo, Jimbo, Jambalaya as head coach. He was a pompous a-- who rode the wave of an outstanding coach in Bobby Bowden who was summarily shown the door in favor of Fisher. Fisher was the recipient of what Bowden developed both in terms of player acquisition and national prominence.

He was totally outclassed and out coached in the SEC. All the money in the world was not going to help that whiner cover up his ineptness.

It's going to be a long time for any A&M coach to right that ship even though they got all that black gold to buy players. Look how long it took us to recover from the loss of Chip Kelly who was replaced by my friend the mediocre Mark Helfrich who also rode the wave of an outstanding coach.

God bless Dan Lanning and the Oregon Ducks.

• Applause 1

Sorry I got sidetracked. Oregon has a slim chance of garnering this years number one recruiting class. All they have to do is win the quadfecta(my new word).

All they have to do is pick up five stars McNutt and Terry along with a couple of four star defensive or offensive linemen.

Cmon Danno.

• Thumbs Up 1

Getting the #1 recruiting class would be nice, but it’s more important for Coach Lanning to get the right players with the right attitudes and work ethics.   

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/27/2024 at 9:23 AM, Chuc007 said:

Sorry I got sidetracked. Oregon has a slim chance of garnering this years number one recruiting class. All they have to do is win the quadfecta(my new word).

All they have to do is pick up five stars McNutt and Terry along with a couple of four star defensive or offensive linemen.

Cmon Danno.

2 great comments, thanks. I agree with your thoughts on Jimbo. For most of his time at FSU he had a significant roster advantage. 

Under Mike Elko and if the QB stays healthy, in 2024 A+M could be a much-improved team. I will not be surprised if A+M defeats Notre Dame in the opener. A+M is a raucous environment and fired-up fans will be juiced up by Game Day being on site.

The ND QB, Riley Leonard, played for Elko at Duke last season. The word coming out of College Station from the players is that they are enjoying playing in a disciplined system. I am not sold on ND coach Freeman being a top-drawer CFB in-game coach. It's one thing to perhaps, be too aggressive in decision-making, and only 11 players on the field when Ohio State scored a walk-off TD in South Bend in 2023.  

A+M, like ND, has a Blue Chip Roster. A+M lost some excellent players to the portal but also brought in some very good players. Under Mike Elko and being out of the uber-competitive West Division, I believe the Aggies will be a tough out for any opponent.

In 2024, A+M will win its 3 OOC cupcake games. The Arkansas game is in Dallas. Missouri, LSU, and Texas play in College Station. Conference road games are at Mississippi State, South Carolina, Florida, and Auburn. In 2024 and 2025, A+M misses Georgia, Alabama, Ole Miss, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Kentucky, and unfortunately for A+M, Vanderbilt. This is a 'manageable' SEC slate. 

I think A+M  finishes 8-4 at the worst and 10-2 at best. 

Gentlemen, please read posts closer, as at the beginning of the thread....I did not say THIS YEAR.

We have a shot at it in the future when recruits can see that we are competing for 'Nattys, and they like Danno over the other major head coaches.  But first we have to prove it on the field.

Dan Lanning_Eugene Johnson2.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I think it’s very possible for Lanning to land a #1 class in the near future.  Phil and nil will help, but the main thing is that Lanning is one of the top recruiters in the nation, and he will likely only get better.  Although, I don’t think it’s a must to have a number 1 class for Oregon.  A top five every year is realistic and that will be awesome.  

It’s not fair to compare Lanning to Smart at the moment.  Smart has recruited ridiculously at GA since he took over, but he has also had the benefit of running a major program inside the state of GA.  If you look at the years since he has been there, you’ll likely find that per capita GA is at or near the top for major recruits every year.  Also, in the heart of the South.  

This doesn’t mean Lanning can’t out recruit Smart, but it certainly won’t be easy.  

• Like 1

Get a Natty, keep Dan L, and the rest will take care of itself.  A Number 1 class would be nice but isn't necessary for getting that crystal trophy.

• Like 1

Definitely the odds will improve dramatically in the near future, but the possibility exists that the future is now !

Well, it appears the current #2 RB in the country (Tradarian Ball) for 2026 (Texarkana, TX) just committed.

Long way to signing day but that's now two commits and two top 50 kids.

(247 Composite)

Tony Cumberland:  #3 DL #38 overall

Tradarian Bell: #2 RB #33 overall

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Like 1

According to most composite sites we are at 4-5 right now. Ohio State, Georgia, and Alabama are ahead of us. The rest of the top ten consists of Texas A&M, LSU, Texas, Miami, Notre Dame and Penn State.

Getting into the South is challenging for anybody. It's going to be even tougher if Florida gets their act together. Is Akili Smith JR. Our future QB, or is he a legacy? At 6'5 and 225 he already has an NFL body. A big arm and durability is going to be a must in the B1G in October-December.

As far as getting into the South, I think getting Florida State is going to help everyone not named Ohio State, Michigan, or Penn State that get recruits out of that state regardless. Since travel is already national, I'd prefer visits to Florida State in November over Rutgers.

Imagine Dan getting into those living rooms. Letting those kids know who Oregon is, and letting them know about his SEC roots.