kirklandduck

Josh Pate's Oregon Win-Loss Prediction for 2024

He's putting OBD at 11-1 to finish the regular season!

• Go Ducks! 1

Very cool to have an SEC guy making this kind of prediction.  RESPECT...

Go Ducks!  Keep the intensity up all season and never let up on any game!   Personally, I think we will know what kind of team OBD will be this year, after the first 3 games.    BSU and Rodents are not to be overlooked!

Edited by DuckFan93
  • Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Why is he being so pessimistic

• Haha 4
  • Applause 1

11-1 = no worse than 11-2 post a champ game loss and the fifth or sixth PO seed. 

12-1 = B1G champ, first-round bye and opening in the 2nd round in the Rose Bowl. 

It's doable and it would be sweet but if wishes were ducks ...

On 8/9/2024 at 3:08 AM, Jon Joseph said:

11-1 = no worse than 11-2 post a champ game loss and the fifth or sixth PO seed. 

12-1 = B1G champ, first-round bye and opening in the 2nd round in the Rose Bowl. 

It's doable and it would be sweet but if wishes were ducks ...

I personally have them at 11-2 to finish the season heading into the CFP as that 5th seed and making it into the semi-finals.

• Let’s hope! 1

I think 11-1 is very doable for the Ducks.  There are some tough games but other than maybe the Ohio St game, Oregon is likely favored in the rest for now.  Of course, every very good team usually plays 1 or 2 out of character bad games a season, so only time will tell.  I do think 11-1 is a reasonable optimistic goal.  

11-1 is the goal I have for my Dawgs as well.  Sure it’s been awhile since we’ve lost a regular season game, but our schedule is brutal.  I’ll be very happy if we get through it at 11-1 without being too beat up at the end of the regular season.  

Edited by SoGaDawg
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hopefully, this means Lanning has figured out how not to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  

Friend Utki. A reasonable comment, no doubt.

But 27 games and 22 victories including a Holiday and Fiesta Bowl win, a loss to national champ Georgia in Atlanta, a loss to OR ST without 'his guys' on D, and 3 Ls to UW by 9 points. Do you see Mario doing the same? Slick? Helfrich?

Compare Dan's record to date with Harbaugh's first 5 seasons at Michigan, Saint Nick's first 2 seasons at Bama, and Kirby Smart going 1-5 vs. Saban. 

Lanning has not lost every game where he has been behind including a terrific Holiday Bowl win. Dan could not stop 2 starting CBs going down in Seattle. But, he has recruited and portaled so this will not happen again. (I cop to Dan and Stein being out-coached in the 1st Q of the last Pac-12 champ game.)

When I was younger I was far worse at my job than when I grew into the job. I never stopped being 'aggressive,' and thankfully, 'things' worked out. 

GO DUCKS!

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 2

Just for informational purposes, There is a prognosticator in Dawg Country, Uncle Lou, who picks the records of all the G4 teams every post-Spring practice season. I listened to his podcast for the Ducks the other day and he predicted a 12-0 regular season for the Ducks mainly because the OSU game is at Autzen. This guy is no clown but a darn good picker, so this is indeed a sign of respect.

Like me, he is a Lanning fan all the way with the qualification that he is still yet to win a "big" one. According to Uncle Lou, that happens Oct 12 (although he thinks it very likely that this is reversed in the B1G Championship game--he only officially picks the regular season.

Thought All Y'all would like to know.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/9/2024 at 2:29 PM, Utki said:

Hopefully, this means Lanning has figured out how not to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  

That will be much easier to do when you can trust your defense and field goal kicker.

Given what he had to work with in prior seasons I think he made good decisions going for it on offense. That was the team's strength.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 avoidable losses are on Lanning so I don't know if they can be classified as good decisions in reality due to the results.

• Haha 1

On 8/10/2024 at 1:34 PM, Utki said:

3 avoidable losses are on Lanning so I don't know if they can be classified as good decisions in reality due to the results.

I understand your point, but in football there are many instances where a head coach has to make a decision and will be thought a genius or an idiot depending on the outcome.  

As for me, I try to understand that that the HC has more info than I do so I hope that there is always a good reason that he makes a decision that I think was stupid after the fact.  Who really knows though, it’s likely sometimes a HC just gets aggressive and it doesn’t work out.  Being aggressive isn’t the worst trait for a HC IMO though.

• Applause 1

3 Losses and the Ducks make the Playoff Field?

FWIW I don't see a 3-loss team making the field unless it is a P4 conference champion.

247SPORTS.COM

These seven squads are built to overcome adversity.

I'm hoping that Oregon makes the playoff (I don't care if they have 2 or 3 losses), is playing their best football late in the season and wins it all!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1