CjAllen180

Oregon Goes UNDEFEATED??

The record prediction is in at On3... take a look! 

• Let’s hope! 1

This would mean beating tOSU possibly twice?!

Yowser, wouldn't that be grand!!

Greatest season of all time. One can dream.

• Like 1

I believe that that was undefeated in the regular season. He liked Oregon’s advantage at QB and that the game is at home.  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/15/2024 at 4:57 PM, OregonDucks said:

I believe that that was undefeated in the regular season. He liked Oregon’s advantage at QB and that the game is at home.  

From the Clip, Yes. I believe that they should have a Good Chance in the Conference Championship too. But if they where to Lose, The Ducks should be considered, Highly, for the Playoffs. The Season, hopefully, should shake up the standings through out the season, based on the standings of the other four rated teams in the B1G.

Does anyone know the SOS of the Ducks and the Ohio State? That too would be taken into account by the polls and the committee. I would love a third time, in the CFPNCG. That would be the Exclamation Point to the Season.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/15/2024 at 7:57 PM, OregonDucks said:

I agree, but if you go undefeated in the regular season, you make the Playoff!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/15/2024 at 10:11 PM, SoGaDawg said:

I agree, but if you go undefeated in the regular season, you make the Playoff!!!

With the expanded playoff, if you go 10-2 you should make the playoff in the B1G or SEC. (Note: I would predict a 11-1 or 10-2 record for Oregon with a loss to Ohio State and/or one of the road games - Michigan or Wisconsin- late in the season).

Which brings up the question - would you rather play in the conference championship game (with the possibility to host a home playoff game) or sit at 10-2, missing the conference championship game, but have an extra bye week heading into the playoffs?

Edited by OregonDucks

On 8/16/2024 at 7:55 AM, OregonDucks said:

With the expanded playoff, if you go 10-2 you should make the playoff in the B1G or SEC. (Note: I would predict a 11-1 or 10-2 record for Oregon with a loss to Ohio State and/or one of the road games - Michigan or Wisconsin- late in the season).

Which brings up the question - would you rather play in the conference championship game (with the possibility to host a home playoff game) or sit at 10-2, missing the conference championship game, but have an extra bye week heading into the playoffs?

If you win a conference championship you likely won’t host a game, I think you get a bye as a top 4 conference champion.  I think it’s 5-8 that will host, but correct me if I’m wrong.  

I would much rather win the conference and skip the first round of the Playoff.  That is going to be very tough in the SEC this season though.  

• Applause 1

SOS - Depends on the person and/or the site you refer to. 

All the sites I've seen, except CBS Sports, have Oregon with a more difficult schedule than Ohio State. Many have OBD with a SOS inside the top 10. 

Looking at 2024 opponent records in 2023: USC 106-53; Oregon 101-57; Michigan 98-59; Penn State 88-67; and Ohio State 83-71. This is using the 12-game regular season schedule. Ohio State usually plays at least one quality opponent OOC, Notre Dame in 2023, and Texas in 2025, but not this year. OOC, the Buckeyes welcome three cupcakes to Columbus. A great opportunity for Ohio State to break in a new QB, Will Howard, and Chip's O. I expect one of the two Ohio State stud RBs will be right there in the September Heisman race.😁

It's a different story in-conference even without considering the Buckeyes eight home games vs. seven for the Ducks, six games in a row without a break instead of eight, with travel to Penn State on 11/2, but three of the last four games at home, including Michigan, with the only away game being a trip to Northwestern. The game before the Michigan game is Indiana in Columbus. In November, the Ducks travel to Ann Arbor and Madison, Wisconsin.  Wisconsin is idle the week before the Badgers play the Ducks. 

Both teams miss USC. This seaon, Ohio State plays one 'Pac-12' opponent, Oregon, on 10/12. Both teams play Michigan but tOSU plays the Wolverines at home while Oregon travels to the Big House.. Ohio State also plays at Penn State and versus Iowa in Columbus, on the Saturday before playing in Eugene. OBD misses PSU and Iowa.

Considering Oregon's travel and November away games, I think Oregon has the more difficult schedule but based simply on quality comneference opponents, it's very close.

The Basketball Committee discloses the metrics it uses. The Football Committee to date, even though SOS is now, with conference championships not being used as tie-breakers beginning this season, the Committee's first priority, discloses nothing. The public is left in the dark as to metric(s.) used by the Football Committee.

ESPN and many other sites during the season track SOS and Strenght of Record. However, when the ESPN, AP and Coaches Polls have nine SEC teams in the top 25 it's difficult to have a "Bad Loss" in the SEC. Part of the E$ecPN scam. 

The PO format in place for 2024-25 and 2025-26 will put pressure on and stress on the Committee; especially, if the Committee refuses to disclose the metrics on which it will rely. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The 'Saturday' B1G Site Has OBD Going 11-1 with the Loss at Michigan.

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Predicting every game for Oregon in the 2024 regular season.

Based on the schedule, 11-1 is spot on IMO. However, I think a fired-up Oregon squad will win in the Big House. 11-1 likely means a rematch with Ohio State in the B1G champ game in Indianapolis. 

• Thumbs Up 1

A common misconception is that any conference has a direct tie to a top-4 seeding. The only guarantee is - “The five highest-ranked conference champions and the next seven highest-ranked teams will earn a spot in the 12-team bracket. There is no limit to how many teams from one conference can qualify. The rules also don't guarantee spots for certain conferences”

it is widely assumed that the P4 will have the highest rated champions because, well let’s face it, that part of the system could be pretty rigged. 

That being said, the B12 could be a poster child of unintended consequences if it’s a meat grinder this year with no clear brand name. What happens if the second place team from the B12 is 8-4 and wins their conference title game to finish 9-4? Now imagine the MWC and CUSA champs are both 12-1 or better…what happens? Is the B12 team with 4 losses really going to be ranked higher?

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

On 8/19/2024 at 1:44 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

A common misconception is that any conference has a direct tie to a top-4 seeding. The only guarantee is - “The five highest-ranked conference champions and the next seven highest-ranked teams will earn a spot in the 12-team bracket. There is no limit to how many teams from one conference can qualify. The rules also don't guarantee spots for certain conferences”

it is widely assumed that the P4 will have the highest rated champions because, well let’s face it, that part of the system could be pretty rigged. 

That being said, the B12 could be a poster child of unintended consequences if it’s a meat grinder this year with no clear brand name. What happens if the second place team from the B12 is 8-4 and wins their conference title game to finish 9-4? Now imagine the MWC and CUSA champs are both 12-1 or better…what happens? Is the B12 team with 4 losses really going to be ranked higher?

Possibly and thanks for bringing this up; however, Liberty could go 13-0 and a 9-4 B12 champ will have a far better strength of schedule. 

Hopefully, SOS will matter in 2024. Boise plays Oregon, Oregon State, and Wazzu which will help its SOS. Memphis plays at Florida State. Tulane plays K State and at Oklahoma back-to-back. Liberty for the second season in a row plays no P4 opponent. 

A lot of 'interesting stuff' would have to happen for the G5 representative to be seeded higher than 12th. 

Going Undefeated, or 11-1, Will Take Lesser Known Players Comming Through.

WWW.ON3.COM

Highlighting under-the-radar players who will have a major impact for the Ducks in their first Big Ten Conference season.

On 8/19/2024 at 10:58 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Possibly and thanks for bringing this up; however, Liberty could go 13-0 and a 9-4 B12 champ will have a far better strength of schedule. 

Hopefully, SOS will matter in 2024. Boise plays Oregon, Oregon State, and Wazzu which will help its SOS. Memphis plays at Florida State. Tulane plays K State and at Oklahoma back-to-back. Liberty for the second season in a row plays no P4 opponent. 

A lot of 'interesting stuff' would have to happen for the G5 representative to be seeded higher than 12th. 

True, was thinking more about a BSU or Memphis. B12 could easily end up with only 1 or 2 ranked teams, time will tell. The larger point really is that no conference is guaranteed anything, and I think most people believe the P4 are locked into the top 4 seeds.

This is also more Beavis foolishness. They can’t be a conference champion. If they’re as good as they think, they should have joined the MWC immediately, gone 12-1, made the playoff, then demanded entry into the SEC. Being the weasels they are, the truth is they thought they had a shot at the PAC keeping its auto-birth with 2 members.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

OK, it's a Michigan site, but Maize + Brew predicts that Ohio State will go Under 10.5 wins and OBD will go over 10.5. 

This is a good summary of the B1G's Over/Under win totals in 2024.

WWW.MAIZENBREW.COM

College football is almost here! Let’s take a look at the O/U win totals for the Big Ten this fall

• Thanks 1

Apparently Big 10 has not yet released their tie breaker rules for selecting '24 conference championship participant when they have equal record. 

With 18 team and a broad top tier it is high probability tie breaker rules will be needed.

On 8/23/2024 at 9:08 AM, Solar said:

Apparently Big 10 has not yet released their tie breaker rules

It may follow the SEC 16 team league format.  not sure you can get any more minutia that this.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The SEC will have six ways to break ties in the standings as the conference moves into a new era

For fun, how about Oregon beats Ohio State in the regular season, beats them in the Conference Championship, and then Ohio State still makes the playoffs with two losses; and ...

Oregon and Ohio State make it to the final and Ohio State wins?

How does anyone feel especially good crowning Ohio State national champion as they still are 1-2 against Oregon and have 2 losses while Oregon is 2-1 against Ohio State and finishes with only 1 loss?

The obvious answer is the bracket gets cooked so Oregon and Ohio State don't meet in the final ...

Which just about guarantees a third match-up in the same year, games 2 and 3 being played very close together.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Oh no! 1