FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: 3 Things to Watch Against Idaho

Our Oregon Ducks football program is season-ready, and game week is finally here. It’s time to look at how we’re going to get to 1-0 this Saturday. As Oregon opens at home in Autzen, what are we expecting of this team? What are the keys to starting the season off strong? Mr. FishDuck took some time from his fun at ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Our Oregon Ducks football program is season-ready, and game week is finally here. It’s time to look at how we’re going to get to 1-0 this...
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I want to comment Idaho is a pretty good team and our perspective should be we are playing against a team which can score points. The defense is going to have a challenge with this first game. Our offense will also be tested as many pieces are coming together for the first time for this contest.

If we can keep this team under 20 and start the turnover ratio on our side that would be huge. I will be looking for qb pressures, sacks and turnovers caused. I want to see the beginning of the chaos we want to see this season.

On offense I want to see which receivers have both chemistry with DG, but also who can't be stopped? Runs after the catch, YAC, and who closes the deal in the end zone. I also will be interested in watching the yardage after contact with our RB's. Lastly on offense we should be able to see our backup qb's, who plays, and how are they used?

I want to see lots of players seeing action, and the pedal on the accelerator. Back-ups should be pressuring the qb, and the back-up qb's should be slinging it downfield. For dessert I want to see the first of many trick plays this season. We need teams knowing they don't know what we are going to do!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2

"Let’s see the Ducks have a great week of practice, a great day in Autzen, and a great start to a historic season."

YEAH!  What he said!

GO Ducks Football!??!

I like that we get to ramp up to B1G competition.

And DO NOT take Boise State for granted!! Oregon has never beaten Boise State on the football field . . . let's do that this year.

Thanks for the article Alex. I am looking forward to the opener but will admit to also looking past it to Boise State. GO DUCKS!

I expect to see James run for 100 yards in the first quarter and then pass the baton to our plethora of running backs for the remainder of the game. I also expect to see some creative use of our uber talented tight ends, but just enough to give Boise State preparation fits.

Physicality will be the mantra of the day as we turn our intense preparation from battling each other toward vanquishing our undermanned opponent.

I worked at the UI for 10 years not too long ago, know a lot of people in Moscow. Yes, I had season tickets in the Kibbie Dome…was brutal. I was a huge advocate for them moving to FCS.

They’re breaking in a new QB, so will be interesting to see if they use as many offensive shifts as they did last year. Welcome to being the starter Idaho QB!

BSU is probably going to be better than Beavis. We could technically survive a loss (depending on the nature of the loss) to them and still make the playoff, not that I think that’s going to happen. A narrow miracle loss to a 13-0 BSU in September would not kill us and might actually improve our strength of schedule if we ended up going 10-2. But I certainly hope the players don’t overlook them, really don’t like them after my time at UI.

One thing that cracks me up is us fans telling each other not to overlook a game, we can look ahead as much as we like, we aren’t, uh, on the field. 😉 

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Applause 1

I would like to see Idaho held to under 7 points or less through the 2nd or 3rd quarters. Then with the "second & third string" less than 14 for the game. I think the D can do that

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally, i dont think DL and staff will show us or our opponents much on either side of the ball  No need to impress 

Basic smash mouth football against the Vandals. Size, speed and talent should be utilized. Work on timing, assignments and take pleasure in beating up on an opening opponent that has some good number 1's 

Minimize injuries, play everyone who can and then get ready for a team that can make the P-12. BSU is going to bring their A plus game and that nasty blue inferiority complex.

Its time they get stomped.

Go Ducks.......

• Thumbs Up 1

I have never watched Dillon Gabriel for an entire game. Really interested to see his style of play.

I expect the Ducks will establish the run early, and once they have done that, then DG can do his thing. If he is Heisman worthy, then the Ducks should score a lot of points. 

Idaho is overmatched, and it will be an opportunity to get some tape of younger players that our coaches can review. 

On 8/26/2024 at 10:34 AM, Drake said:

I have never watched Dillon Gabriel for an entire game. Really interested to see his style of play.

I expect the Ducks will establish the run early, and once they have done that, then DG can do his thing. If he is Heisman worthy, then the Ducks should score a lot of points. 

Idaho is overmatched, and it will be an opportunity to get some tape of younger players that our coaches can review. 

Just search for his game against a lil team called Texas last year.

• Cool 1

I read that Idaho is the 5-7th ranked team in the FCS preseason rankings, only kind of a cupcake.

I want to see efficiency on offense, and a defense that is not exploited by being out of position or not getting to the ball, especially on 3rd downs.

I lastly want to see 2nd and 3rd string operate with little drop off from the starters.

Edited by Solar
  • Thumbs Up 1

On a related and surprising cross-pollination update, Beavis just announced the Idaho transfer is now their QB1

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

Dillon for the first half and 1 series in the 3rd qtr; Moore into the 4th and Novosad mop up.

Go Ducks

• Thumbs Up 2