FishDuck Article

Four Games that Have Defined the Ducks’ DNA in the Lanning Era

Year 3 of the Dan Lanning era starts on Saturday. He has enjoyed a brilliant start to his tenure at Oregon, going 22-5, but there is still much left undone for the Ducks. This is Oregon’s first year in the B1G and it is going to require a team effort to get the Ducks to the promised land, a National ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Year 3 of the Dan Lanning era starts on Saturday. He has enjoyed a brilliant start to his tenure at Oregon, going 22-5, but there is still much left undone for…
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I am delighted with the WSU game of 2022, as that could have turned the season against us--and it was quite a comeback to have happen.  To me, the play was a fourth down and at that time, Bucky Irving had NOT yet been catching the ball very well.  But Nix hit him across the middle, but it was slightly out in front of him.  He dove out, and caught it on the ends of his hands for the first down.  

It was an incredible catch, and without it--we don't win.  So many close plays to a season!

Dano and Tosh were Worried...

Lanning and Lupoi_Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

I was thinking about the Utah game of 2022. Nix was injured and playing on one leg and the Utah defense zeroed into stopping the run at all costs and Nix was able to pass just enough to give the Ducks a fighting chance. 

But in that game it was the Oregon defense that came up HUGE and won the game on their backs. 

However, I did run out of room for an article and in the end every game is important. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Colorado got high by sniffing their press clippings before the game. Shilo Sanders trash talked just like dad, and then got embarrassed on National TV.

Perfect!!

I think when Bo Nix got injured, playing the pups,  it changed DL’s mindset of preserving your QB. Now that we have another running QB it will be interesting to see how often they choose to run him. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/29/2024 at 10:06 AM, Drake said:

Colorado got high by sniffing their press clippings before the game. Shilo Sanders trash talked just like dad, and then got embarrassed on National TV.

Perfect!!

I think when Bo Nix got injured, playing the pups,  it changed DL’s mindset of preserving your QB. Now that we have another running QB it will be interesting to see how often they choose to run him. 

I think that was a bit of Nix as well. There were quite a few times where Nix could have ran but he opted to pass instead. I think part of it is also a change in coordinator going from Dillingham to Stein. 

But as for this year. I wouldn't be surprised for maybe a bit more cavalier approach with running the quarterback because that is in Gabriel's skill set (his running is different than Nix's) and we have a back-up quarterback! I don't think there is any fear with this staff in putting in Moore if they need to and having that safety net does allow for a bit more quarterback freedom. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Nice article David.

My take is the pivotal moment was the Texas Tech game. They proved to themselves in the Texas Tech game that they could handle playing poorly ( and still find a way to win).  

The players KNEW they blew it in Seattle. I could tell by the way they played the rest of the season.  They weren't going to beat themselves again.

That is why the Las Vegas game stayed close.  They never gave up, despite being OUTPLAYED.  

The Fuskies were better than us.  Dan Lanning gave his players four cracks at executing to win in Seattle.  Three of those plays required simple execution - three times Bo Nix forced passes instead of being his usual self.  

Nix isn't terrible, he just didn't execute. 

Evan Williams ran right past an interception to seal the Seattle game.  Because he was looking at Penix instead of shutting down that fade route.  Hence he lost where the receiver was, and was out of position to make a play he would have made had he locked onto the receiver instead of eyeballing Penix. 

Dan Lanning should not be blamed for plays his players normally execute.  Especially when he set them up to succeed.  

Dan Lanning should get credit for putting his players-truly incapable of winning the Natty last year- in position to win a Natty.  

They are loaded this year.  Still not as talented on paper like Ohio State and Georgia.  If they play intense ball start to finish, they can beat both teams.  But they will need to execute, and force mistakes.  

That is what separates us from "them".  Execution.  It's not the size of the dog in the fight now.  It's the size of the fight in the dog. 

Win the Day 

Fast Hard Finish.

More apt than ever before.  

• Great post! 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

The finish of the 2022 UCLA game was masterful, DL's best in-game coaching IMHO.  Just going by memory here, but I believe we went into victory formation with over 2 minutes left on the clock.  Sure another first down would have absolutely sealed it, but watching Bo's moon shot into the stands to use every last second and deny UCLA even one play was a thing of beauty.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/29/2024 at 3:35 PM, Mike West said:

Dan Lanning should not be blamed for plays his players normally execute.  Especially when he set them up to succeed.  

Personally I'm absolutely fine with his desire to go for it. My gripe is on play calls as I think they should have been better. 

But in the end I think that killer instinct and trusting his team is what will get him a national championship. 

If the and went another way we'd be calling him absolutely brilliant but they didn't. I think there were lessons to learn but most fans and casual viewers and pundits don't know them. 

On 8/29/2024 at 3:55 PM, noDucknewby said:

The finish of the 2022 UCLA game was masterful, DL's best in-game coaching IMHO.  Just going by memory here, but I believe we went into victory formation with over 2 minutes left on the clock.  Sure another first down would have absolutely sealed it, but watching Bo's moon shot into the stands to use every last second and deny UCLA even one play was a thing of beauty.

That was a great way to end the game. 

But if I were to choose a game or two against good teams that showed off Lanning execution as a coach. 

I'd probably say civil war last year and probably the Utah game last year. Wall to wall domination against good teams, not great, but teams that showed if you left a crack for them to squeeze through they'd be happy to bite ya. 

And he just slammed the door shut on them nice and early and never looked back. 

• Applause 1

All of those games are great examples for sure and certainly worthy of all the great commentary here.

One thing that always stuck out to me after the Georgia game was that afterwards Dan owned it.  He simply stated they lost to a much better team.   No excuses, no blame just took the loss and learned from it.   That moment to me said a lot about Dan.  I hope he continues to conduct himself in that manner.

We never know what gets said behind closed doors and that's okay too but perception matters and Dan seems keenly aware of that.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks, David, great take.

No surprise that Mike West beat me to the Texas Tech punch!

On 8/29/2024 at 3:35 PM, Mike West said:

My take is the pivotal moment was the Texas Tech game. They proved to themselves in the Texas Tech game that they could handle playing poorly ( and still find a way to win).  

I would say the Texas Tech game was a result of the DNA established a year earlier in the Washington State game. 

It's certainly proof that the culture is working and lessons were learned. 

Even down to the forced interception turned into a pick six late in the fourth was similar between the two games.