FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: Wins are WINS

What. A. Game. First off – I’m not as worried about this team as I was in week one. I believe every team has a chance to turn small things around, and the only thing you can’t change is if you are a team that isn’t physical. It’s clear this team is physical, the missing pieces in my eyes are ...

FISHDUCK.COM

What. A. Game. First off – I’m not as worried about this team as I was in week one. I believe every team has a chance to turn small things...
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Alex, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and perspective on OBD's.

You are so right that wins are wins. This Duck fan is thankful we aren't 1-1 or 0-2. We are perhaps 2 wins into a 11 win season.

I am very uncomfortable with the mistakes and penalties. They kept points off the board. However, those are fixable.

The O line play did improve and i am hoping DL and staff find the right combination to open holes and protect DG. 

Clear these things up and the points will flow.

My confidence level is shaken but this team is capable of great things.

Let's hope a few team leaders emerge during the uncival war week.

Go Ducks........

• Thumbs Up 1

Technically, I agree that a win is a win.

However, not all wins convey the same message.

The message I received from the Ducks 2-0 start is that they’re nowhere near being competitive with the best teams in the B1G/college football.

I’m trying to be optimistic, but the Ducks’ performances have been so opposite of expectation that positivity is reading empty.

Is it possible for the Ducks to turn things around? Yes! But I’m in “need to see it first” mode now.

• Thumbs Up 2

What? A Game? 

Just kidding Alex and thanks for the POSITIVE take. Spot ON - 2-0 is 2-0. But I want to see more of Olivia Newton-John football: LET'S GET PHYSICAL! 😁

Jeanty is a terrific RB but he's playing behind a G5 O-line and there is no way he should go for close to 200 yards against guys, at least on paper, who are superior athletes. Our DEs can't set the edge and the DTs play like they have the DTs. 

I am hoping to see a breakthrough in Corvallis against a 2-0 team that just shut out San Diego State on the road. The Ducks are 20.5 favorites and unlike the last two games where Oregon Under Covered by 50 points it's time to step up and beat down the Beavers. There should be no Ducks fans pucker factor in this game. 

Will the coaching staff have OBD ready to play this game? 

BLAST THE BEAVERS!

[I hope we are 2 games into a 16 or 17-game season.]

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

By seasons end BSU should be well inside the top 20. A close win against a top 20 level team is a huge step forward from a close win over Idaho. Once they settle on their best OL group the Offense will begin to perform more consistently. I think we'll see a major step forward in game three. Just in time for Beavis.

• Let’s hope! 1

On 9/9/2024 at 7:19 AM, cartm25 said:

Technically, I agree that a win is a win.

However, not all wins convey the same message.

The message I received from the Ducks 2-0 start is that they’re nowhere near being competitive with the best teams in the B1G/college football.

I’m trying to be optimistic, but the Ducks’ performances have been so opposite of expectation that positivity is reading empty.

Is it possible for the Ducks to turn things around? Yes! But I’m in “need to see it first” mode now.

100%. Right now, I'm with you and Missouri... the "Show Me State."

This team appears to have the right pieces, but it has a lot of work to accomplish in order to pull it all together.

I think this is when we find out what kind of coaching staff we really have.

Now, onto the River Rats!

• Applause 1

Wins are wins, games are game's and then you play the beavs in Corvallis. We are going to see if this team can rise up and meet the relentless effort and execution we will see from the river rats.

I agree at the end of the season early wins are just wins. The problem with this weekend is an uninspired Duck team won't be able to get it done against a real rival on the road. 

What I saw against BSU probably wouldn't get it done in Boise. I think we see the first real test this weekend, and we will see if Lanning can turn the players into a team which knows how to get it done, as a team, against a rival?

We definitely can't see a repeat of 2022 because losses aren't just losses. That one still hurts as a fan, we will see if it still hurts as a player, team.

I think that will speak volumes about the season ahead.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/9/2024 at 8:17 AM, Jon Joseph said:

The Ducks are 20.5 favorites

Wow really?  Do the gamblers ever learn? 🤣

I know OBD will beat the rodents, but certainly won't expect that margin.  I predict 28-24.

So far, the schedule has been very helpful to OBD being 2-0. The Beavs should be the toughest test yet. Do the line setters have to be reminded of the phrase, "those that ignore history are doomed to repeat it?" Or, "What is the definition of insanity?" Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Enough with the Ducks being double digit favorites!

This old statement is also true, this game is the Super Bowl for the Beavs. It is also a Must Win for the Ducks. The first two games have shown scattered pieces of a team being a Playoff contender, can Oregon put it all together this time?

30 - 11/29/24 Boise State hosts Oregon State in the last game of the regular season. I imagine Boise will be favored but it's a long way out.

I think most of us are at the position of "just win" right now, whatever it takes.  Scrape by with a FG or TD, it doesn't matter.  Maintain as good of a record as possible until the OL situation gets sorted out.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think BSU will be a legit top twenty team and is significantly better than OSU. What ups the anti this week is executing at a high level while little brother’s rabid fans have a continuous tantrum in the stands.

I’d expect it to be close in first half as they figure things out with separation in the second once they do.

• Like 1

I'm freeing myself from having to form an opinion about our season this early.  I'm disappointed that Idaho and Boise St. have both looked much better prepared than the Ducks have in the first two games.  Oregon was their Super Bowl circled on the calendar for 9 months.  They could both end up having outstanding seasons.

We were incredibly spoiled with the offensive efficiency with Bo Nix over the past two seasons - never seen before and maybe not again for a long time.

I'm more concerned about Gabriel's execution through two games.  It's not clear to me that he's reading the defense or his protections at the level I thought he would with his experience.

Consequently, it's not clear where he wants to go with the ball.  Going through progressions, instead of hitting a hot read.  Apparently, one second may be too long to hold onto the ball at times.  And where is our screen game?

And I hope DG and other players drop this FEBU quip very fast.  There's a better way to say this that doesn't include your fanbase.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Also loved what the Boise St. coach had to say for the halftime interview telling his players "your best is enough", "don't try to be someone you're not", "don't put your superman cape on", and "finish together."

It's coach speak, but you don't want to see your players start getting desperate and try to over-compensate for another teammate on the field.  Mistakes start compounding and games can unravel quickly.  As they work through these early season issues, the Ducks must maintain full trust in one another and believe you can do what you were brought here to do. 

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1