FishDuck Article

Progress Update: Better Blocking Brings Better Results

Last week we looked at some of the worst blocking I’ve ever seen as an Oregon fan and analyst over the years. This week Our Beloved Ducks continued to have some nightmares in the first half with four sacks by the Broncos, but things turned around. In fact a couple of areas that I noted as weaknesses last week looked ...

(FishDuck readers....share this analysis with fellow Duck fans!)

FISHDUCK.COM

Last week we looked at some of the worst blocking I’ve ever seen as an Oregon fan and analyst over the years. This week Our Beloved...
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Great work. Charles, when all but the actual play is taken out, the length of the game is a few minutes, each play a few seconds, so highlighting the particulars of individual players, dissecting what they did or didn't do, is remarkable.  I recently explained to my sister just how much is involved, how intricate football is, and I didn't even get to studying film. 

• Thanks 1

Love it!

Thanks Charles!

The second half did look much improved in terms of blocking - giving me some hope that we'll see them playing closer to potential this week.

No fumbles please.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Charles.  An analysis that we can get only on FishDuck, the forum with decorum.

• Thanks 1

Love your weekly analysis.  Makes my viewing pleasure, that much more, informative as well as entertaining.

Keep up the good work.  Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Great, I mean amazing analysis which makes it easy for anyone to see superb blocking. You also highlight the timing of excellent blocking which is critical.

One thing I noticed is Jordan James seemed to go down, just about every time, with the first hit. Maybe I am just missing Bucky, but James doesn't seem to have a stiff arm, or the ability to bounce off tacklers like some of our past RB's. 

I wonder if we will get to see any Jay Harris or Limar getting some touches. It takes blocking, but also elusiveness and power at this level of football. The running game needs to be a big weapon and hopefully it continues to develop.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Thank you, Charles.  Another great analysis including wonderful slow motion video (note: I wouldn't want to be those linebackers seeing those huge guys in green coming at them!).

Our blocking improved noticeably in the second half against BSU. Hopefully, our coaches found an offensive line group that will continue to improve until the starters are able to come back from injury.  Big Suke said that Oregon was playing an offensive lineman who just isn't at this level.  Most fans, myself included, don't appreciate the importance of the offensive line enough until you have issues, like we've had through 1 1/2 games.  It makes you appreciate how elite Oregon's offensive line has been the past two seasons (and even further back under Coach Greatwood).

When DG had some time and space, he showed that he is capable of hitting the talented receivers down the field. That will open up the running game.

GO DUCKS!!! STOMP THE BEAVERS!!!

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Great work Charles. The offense seems to have three significant problems, blocking, penalties and turnovers. It looked like OBD figured out some blocking things in the second half but penalties and turn overs continued to be a problem. Hoping all three get dealt with this weekend. Even with all three problems on full display last weekend, they still put up 37 points on a potential playoff team.

This weekend will be the first time I'm rooting for The BIG to beat The Pac! Strange days indeed.

• Thanks 1

Nice article and analysis Charles.

I would tell you to quit your day job, but I think this is it and that charitable giving thing is just a side gig.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great eyes Charles. I also noticed Conerly, Strother, Poncho, Harper, and Cornelius as being an above average lineup, but I wondered why they didn't stick with it for the remainder of the game. Maybe injuries, maybe conditioning. As a former O lineman, and O-line coach, I know that early season conditioning is different than late season conditioning.

These young men are in great shape, but adrenaline pumps different on gameday. It takes a couple games for the body to lock in and respond. If the trenches (offense and defense) settle in (they're supposed to be strengths) I am not worried about 10+ wins. The skill players are definitely there. The back end of the D is there if the front can stuff the run. Go Ducks!!!  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/13/2024 at 11:15 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

The offense seems to have three significant problems, blocking, penalties and turnovers. It looked like OBD figured out some blocking things in the second half but penalties and turn overs continued to be a problem. Hoping all three get dealt with this weekend. 

Honestly, I’m not sure what you can do about the first turnover (fumble). The BSU defender put his helmet right on the ball. It was a great play. 

However, I agree with you. The offense has to clean things up and execute more efficiently. The penalties are killing drives and taking points off the board.  

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 1

Love the analysis Charles!  This gives me precise things to look for in tomorrow's game!

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2024 at 10:35 AM, OregonDucks said:

Honestly, I’m not sure what you can do about the first turnover (fumble). The BSU defender put his helmet right on the ball. It was a great play. 

However, I agree with you. The offense has to clean things up and execute more efficiently. The penalties are killing drives and taking points off the board.  

I agree about the first fumble, the BSU player just flat out made a great defensive play.

The second fumble was primarily on Charlie Pickard snapping the ball when he wasn't supposed to.  DG was exposed because the other linemen were waiting to hear the playcall change and the defense smacked him.