Charles Fischer

Where are the Will Stein Boo-Birds?

I did not think that experienced offensive linemen had deteriorated in the early games.  Nor did I think our OC got stupid overnight as some suggested...

It is quite evident he was holding back the playbook, as he popped quite a few surprises at Oregon State. Flawless blocking doesn't hurt either...

What Me Worry.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

WillStein

"He's alive!!!!"

!Frankenstein Free Stock Photo - Public Domain Pictures

Many of our fellow fans seem to oscillate between suicidal despair and maniacal overconfidence, depending on the latest game, or even on the latest half of a game. Take a deep breath, it's a long season.

• Haha 4
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/15/2024 at 6:12 PM, jrw said:

Many of our fellow fans seem to oscillate between suicidal despair and maniacal overconfidence, depending on the latest game, or even on the latest half of a game. Take a deep breath, it's a long season.

So many of the game knee-jerk reactions do not age well, and they would be better served to wait until the game is over.  Although the best example was last year, when Portland State scored early and gnashing of teeth here was pretty severe.  At the end of a 81-7 game--they too, looked pretty silly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

The national Talking Heads who picked the Ducks didn't know what to do. Herbie and Desmond picked the Ducks to win the Natty. But after Idaho, were very cautious concerning BSU and Oregon State. Now the Ducks have a Bye, then it's UCLA and Michigan State, the'll feel better when GameDay is at Autzen for Ohio State.

The announcers at one point during the game said that Stein simplified the playbook a bit for this week. 

If true it would be a smart move to get everyone doing the basics well before adding on layers. 

Last year with so many returning veterans they really could add a few extra layers early on to the playbook. But this year there are a lot of new faces, though veterans in their own right. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Watching DG become more vocal at the line of scrimmage is a sign to me that he is getting comfortable with the playbook, and is identifying defensive looks that can create problems. There is definitely a learning curve.

I think a lack of game time led to poor execution, penalties, and turnovers. They are really never eliminated from the game, but get minimized as a team works things out together. 

I don’t think for a second that DG had sufficient time to have completely mastered all the details of running a new playbook on a new team. But, his play on Saturday showed us that he is starting to get it. 

Give us a few more games, and we could get pretty darn good. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I was quite surprised by the amount of negative Dillion Gabriel talk there was around here during the first couple weeks of the season.

Oddly, that also seems to have disappeared.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still don't like taking a knee at the end of the half. What happened to being aggressive?

Edited by Duxster

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

I thought Stein play calling was noticeably different from previous games. It was far more pro style, much less of creatively getting people the ball in space within 2 yards of the LOS.

Tez didn't have as big of a game because of it, but it was far more efficient on the whole.