Charles Fischer

No Thanks: ESPN Predicts Ohio State-Oregon Rematch

While the Rose Bowl would be great...I'd rather play someone else.  How about you?  

ESPN predicts Oregon vs. Ohio State rematch in Rose Bowl Game by Zachary Neel of Ducks Wire

(If you scroll a bit below the above article--there is another article about Oregon moving up to No. 6 in ESPN's Power Rankings.)

USATSI_16732869.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Mr. FishDuck

CBS has the Ducks playing Michigan State in the Rose Bowl. So fluid at this point in time before the B1G E 'round robin' concludes.  Watching the Bucks vs PSU Saturday I think both MI and MI ST have a shot of beating Ohio State?

Of course when it comes to ESPN, it wants both Bama and UGA in the final 4 and Cincy, so it can pull at your heart strings with a 'little guy' story.

My story? A 12-1 Oregon is in and I'm sticking to it!

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 2

I won’t have a problem with beating OSU teams three times in a season.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I’d feel better about the Ducks playing OSU in the RB if the Buckeyes re-instated Kerry Coombes as Defensive Coordinator.

• Haha 2
  • Like 1

tOSU has played an extremely soft schedule up until Penn St. this past weekend.  If the offense keeps improving and KT is healthy then I like Oregon's chances.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Athletic:

Rose - Oregon v Michigan State

LA - Washington State v Fresno State

Gas - UW v Va Tech

Holiday - ASU v Miami

Alamo - Utah v Baylor

LV - UCLA v Iowa

Sun - Oregon State v Louisville

ESPN is all about the show! They didn't get the first game, but they would love The Rematch!

• Like 1

Assume Ohio State beats Michigan and Michigan State, and wins the Big 10 Championship game.

Assume Georgia beats Alabama in the SEC Championship game.

Assume Cincinnati wins out.

Assume the Ducks win out.

Playoff teams would be Oklahoma, Georgia, Cincinnati, Ohio State.

Oregon and Michigan State to the Rose Bowl.

If Georgia loses to Alabama and is a 1-loss team:

Playoff teams would be: Oklahoma, Georgia, Alabama, Cincinnati.

Oregon and Ohio State to the Rose Bowl.

In all cases, Jim Harbaugh is left wondering what happened.  

On 11/1/2021 at 2:24 PM, Duck in HuskyLand said:

Assume Ohio State beats Michigan and Michigan State, and wins the Big 10 Championship game.

Assume Georgia beats Alabama in the SEC Championship game.

Assume Cincinnati wins out.

Assume the Ducks win out.

Playoff teams would be Oklahoma, Georgia, Cincinnati, Ohio State.

Oregon and Michigan State to the Rose Bowl.

If Georgia loses to Alabama and is a 1-loss team:

Playoff teams would be: Oklahoma, Georgia, Alabama, Cincinnati.

Oregon and Ohio State to the Rose Bowl.

In all cases, Jim Harbaugh is left wondering what happened.  

An undisputed P5 champ with a 12-1 record has never been left out of the field. It would be a very interesting move for the Committee to bench OR in favor of a G5 teams. Cincy's W at ND is a very good win but not as good as the Ducks W at OH ST. The Bearcats W at Indian is not a big deal. From Larry if Oregon went 12-1 was left out? Crickets. From GK?  If this was to happen it would harden the Alliance's position that all P5 champs have to be in; preferably, in an 8 team field. Oregon's SOS today is much better than is Cincy's Cincy holds the edge in SOR.

I think 1 of SMU in the regular season or Houston in the AAC champ game will defeat Cincinnati? Oklahoma had a few tough games left. And I'll believe UGA defeats a 1L Bama team only when I see it?

My final 4 guess today? Alabama, UGA, Ohio State and Oregon.

“My final 4 guess today? Alabama, UGA, Ohio State and Oregon.”

And that’s why we love college football! Endless scenarios!

Don’t forget Oklahoma - no losses so far. And if Cincinnati wins out, I think this is the year an undefeated G5 team gets in.

Edited by Duck in HuskyLand
Completeness

These scenarios are a huge reason why we need an 8 team playoff.

This year may be the year that the chaos forces change.

The forming of the alliance puts ESPN/SEC invitational at risk. Don't think Fox or streamers wouldn't jump to televise the true playoffs.

This year the deck is stacked against the committee  

Head to Head with Ducks over the Bucks. Hope they both finish 12-1 and conference Champs.

An undefeated Cincinnati Group of 5. REALLY WAKE?

Wake Forest- undefeated conference champ.

A 12-1 Oklahoma conference champ.

A 11-1 ND. (TV Eyeballs)

And Bama over Georgia, both 12-1

No way they get left out....

Think of the Alliance teams who will be left out 

In that scenario, I feel the Ducks play Michigan, MSU or Buckeyes in Rose Bowl.  Hoping for the formers not the latter.

Play them again.  Prove it wasn't a fluke.  Of all the teams we should play if we don't make the playoffs, our non conference Nemesis should be there one. 

Ohio State is the only consistent team that has demonstrated excellence for decades. Defeating them a second time would indicated Oregon is indeed a powerhouse.  Most especially if the Buckeyes continue their recent dominant play coming into the bowl game.  

Beating Ohio State twice would announce the Ducks as a serious title contender.  The only other team that can do that is Alabama.  Nobody else would raise our reputation.  

Are we in this for titles, or kicks and giggles?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/2/2021 at 5:20 AM, Mike West said:

Play them again.  Prove it wasn't a fluke.  Of all the teams we should play if we don't make the playoffs, our non conference Nemesis should be there one. 

Ohio State is the only consistent team that has demonstrated excellence for decades. Defeating them a second time would indicated Oregon is indeed a powerhouse.  Most especially if the Buckeyes continue their recent dominant play coming into the bowl game.  

Beating Ohio State twice would announce the Ducks as a serious title contender.  The only other team that can do that is Alabama.  Nobody else would raise our reputation.  

Are we in this for titles, or kicks and giggles?

BTW.  I'm mixed about Cincinnati.

On the one hand they're undefeated with ONE decent win.  Don't think they'll stay in the game against number one or two( would give number four headaches). They have played well this year 

On the other hand, I don't play the participation game for the sake of fairness.  Life isn't fair.  And Cincinnati would struggle in the PAC12 because they lack depth.

They would have to play flawless ball eight  conference games and that is tough.  They might be good enough to go 8-1 this year, but I have my doubts.  

I'm for expansion.  Finally.  It would give G5 teams the ability to recruit more effectively.  Somewhat even the playing field. 

As is though, I'm not ok with giving Cincinnati a brownie for competing, but not really being able to win a playoff game. It's boring enough that Clemson Bama Ohio State and LSU obliterated the three and four teams (and Cincinnati will do no better).

Bama is better, heck A&M is better.  Oregon is better(yeah, I wrote it), Michigan Penn St and Michigan State are better.  Arguably Wisconsin and Iowa are better.  That's EIGHT teams I'm confident would definitely beat the Bearcats.  Why should they get in given that prospect?

It's supposed to be the best four teams.  Cincinnati is realistically eight, nine or ten at best.  For those of you that disagree, ask yourself how they would perform in the Big Ten  this year.  Either division.  Can they really defeat either of the most talented ( and expected) conference winners this year?  I don't believe so.  

Best four until they expand the field.  

On 11/2/2021 at 5:38 AM, Confused said:

If you had to bet your house, spouse, dog, and most importantly your boat, on the rematch of Oregon-Ohio State who would you pick.  Remember your boat is on the line!  

Depends on if it get LBs start covering guys in the area of responsibility. Depends on if DeRuyter contains the running games inside the box.  Depends on if Moorhead can get a feel for the new Buckeye defense. 

We have the talent right now to win a rematch.  I'm not concerned with Ohio State's talent.  I'm concerned with an our strategies.  We don't seal the edge against the run. 

We leave the middle of the field WIDE OPEN for easy completions( we forced the Buckeyes to drive the whole field even despite that- take away that and the Buckeyes have to play perfect offense).

I could go on, but I'll bite everyone.  The UCLA and Colorado first halves are supposed to be normal.  That they aren't is huge.  They are talented enough Right Now.  With upside at that.

I don't want to lose a boat, but I think I have the same perspective as Mike. Basically, if I am shooting to be THE BEST, then I want to fear no one. 

I don’t think the Ducks are good enough, yet, to win it all, but if they need to play OSU again or Georgia or whomever and they get their teeth knocked in, they'll learn from first hand experience what it is like to play at the the "next level".  And if they win or play competitively,  it will boost confidence.  It is a win/win.

Alabama, Georgia, OSU, etc. didn't get "there" by playing ACC teams all season, for example. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyone surprised that College Gameday will be in Cincy on Saturday for the HUGE Cincy vs Tulsa match up?

ESPN's dream Final 4? UGA, BAMA, OH ST and CINCINNATI. This would give ESPN a month of coming with 'little guy' takes. 2 of 'its own' in and all the eyeballs tOSU brings.

• Like 1

Don’t forget Oklahoma. And Michigan State. Still undefeated.

Not advocating for either one, just pointing out that The Playoff Committee has a lot of options.

• Thumbs Up 2

BTW, is there a game on Saturday or something? With all the excitement about the playoffs on New Years Eve, I forgot… 🙂 

• Haha 1

Great stuff guys...can't wait.

Mr. FishDuck