Charles Fischer

Hosed SO MANY Times....Can you Believe this No. 4 Ranking?

Like Duckpop22, I just about let out a shriek when I saw No. 4, as I was not originally going to even watch since I knew we would be a No. 6 or No. 7.

A ton of people in the state of Ohio (Cincinnati and Ohio State) are throwing darts at us today.  It seems we have been hosed so often, and this is not just a "little" break to go our way, but the biggest we could possibly imagine.

Now it is as if the Stanford loss did not happen; win out, and we're in.  Unbelievable.  What was your reaction to it?

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

CINCINNATI, Give It A Rest!

SOS of 100. 5 of 8 wins vs teams with losing records. Yet, Cincy at 6 is the highest Committee ranked G5 team of all time! 

How can 'this' come as surprise when you are kissing the AAC goodbye and moving to the B12 to have a far more realistic path to the Playoff?

BTW, as Mike West pointed out today, Bama is not a lock to beat UGA. IMO, this Bama team is not a lock to win at Auburn? Ohio State has 3 MI ST and 7 Michigan left on the schedule and a likely top 25 match up vs a top 25 B1G W team. 

The Ducks have 2 rivalry games left, one on the road, play a resurgent WA ST at home and draw the toughest cross over opponent it could draw at this point in the season, Utah. And the game is at Utah in late November.

If I'm a Cincinnati fan I like that even with the lousy SOS, the Bearcats are perfectly positioned to move up if a few dominoes fall in Cincy's direction. I've watched Fresno, San Diego State and Cincy play and I am not certain that Cincy would beat Fresno and SDS? I'm not certain Cincy will beat SMU, that lost to Houston because of a bone headed coaching decision. And Houston in the AAC champ game will not be a layup for the Bearcats.

Ohio State has played 3 tough opponents. It won a close game at 20 Minnesota and a close game at home vs NR Penn State,. The Bucks lost at home to 4 Oregon. Lost in a game the Ducks controlled from start to finish. Oregon's L at Stanford is supposed to cancel the victory Oregon put up at your house? Come On!

Frankly, the team IMO with a better beef with Oregon at 4 than Ohio State is 7 Michigan, a  team that lost a close game on the road to #3 and swept its OOC opponents including a visiting Pac-12 team.

Of course, ESPN loves this kind of angst. Angst that is showing and growing a month+ away from "Election Day.' The Basketball Committee doesn't do these interim dog and pony shows. But then again, ESPN does not own the basketball tournament.

Savor the 4, yes. But there is a whole lot of ball to be played before the matter is decided. I'd sure rather have Cincy's schedule ahead of me instead of the one the Ducks have to play.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

My reaction is, Yay! Now, let's forget about it and concentrate on beating the Huskies and then winning the rest of the games. 🙂

Edited by Annie
typo
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Same reaction.  The reason the Stanford L didn't happen is because the OSU W did.  Great scheduling right?

On 11/3/2021 at 7:19 PM, Confused said:

I look for Oklahoma, with new QB, to win out.   Bama will not lose to Georgia.  The SEC wants two teams in this is only way. 
1 Bama

2.Georgia

3 OKlahoma 

4 Oregon or Ohio State 

do you leave out an undefeated Oklahoma team? 

Not so certain that this version of Bama will beat UGA? Bama's run game is way down from its usual standard and the WRs while gifted are not the elite group of the last couple of seasons.

Undefeated OK with 11 OK ST and 12 Baylor left to play and a top 25 opponent in the B12 champ game is in. 

Wake on the other hand has a SOS of 98. NC ST is ranked at 19 and Pitt at 25 but I could see an undefeated Wake left out under a number of circumstances? 

My guess, Wake takes an L this Saturday at UNC?

I did not expect the 4 I had found myself being "rational" and having NO faith at all in the Committee would not have been shocked to see Oregon at 11, tOSU at 4, and listen tp EESPN explain that it made perfect sense, but, as they love to say, "These early rankings don't mean anything, it will play its way out".

So ESPN tells us that their weekly hour of suspense is meaningless, but we will all watch it anyway.

On 11/3/2021 at 7:54 PM, Confused said:

Jon, you are right quite often.  Do you think the odds are better Oregon wins out,  or Oklahoma wins out?

The question confuses me, no doubt. Both have 2 tough road games ahead; OK plays at OK ST and at Baylor. 

Simply based on the committee rankings it appears that Oklahoma has the tougher row to hoe? But OK's roster advantage, especially on O, is far superior to the other members in the B12.

As of now, it depends on what book you want to look at?

The FPI is down on the Ducks but it is not a very accurate model. The model at the Athletic has Oregon at 30-1 to win the title, down from 50-1 before the rankings came out. 5th best odds in the nation and better than OK.

But I have to go with Oklahoma. (Sigh.) The main reason being that OK has already played and won 9 games.

OK has one fewer regular season game left to deal with than do the Ducks. This is a bye week for OK that is perfectly timed to have the Sooners ready for the stretch run. Oregon has 4 consecutive tough games left and is already pretty well dinged up.

On 11/3/2021 at 7:19 PM, Confused said:

I look for Oklahoma, with new QB, to win out.   Bama will not lose to Georgia.  The SEC wants two teams in this is only way. 
1 Bama

2.Georgia

3 OKlahoma 

4 Oregon or Ohio State 

do you leave out an undefeated Oklahoma team? 

The funny thing about this scenario is the #1 seed would have the tougher out. Also, if the committee puts 12-1 OSU above 12-1 Oregon because of the better loss then I am declaring the 2012 Notre Dame team the national champions because they had a better loss than Bama.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants