C J

Is the Playoff Committee Playing Bait and Switch or Perhaps Rope a Dope?

I made it clear the other day I didn't like seeing Oregon as #4.....I mean I did in the sense that it's about time we get respect.......but I like our team as being an underdog and needing that outside motivation and drive to keep us winning play by play.

However the more I listen to the talking heads the more I am thinking that the committee just threw us a bone for now, and that even if we win out (highly unlikely as it is) that we will still get bumped. At that point the committee will say "well you just didn't have the big wins down the stretch the way X...Y....Z teams did" and "we respected your early season win at Ohio State, but then you got lapped down the home stretch when football games really count" etc. etc. etc.

Point is you can kind of already see this scenario setting up. Is our #4 ranking just a way to begin the process of appeasing what they fear could be a large uproar come some time in December? Only time will tell, but thought I would share a theory I conjured up.

It is quite plausible, and if they present that explanation, then it tells all the ADs planning our schedule to never have a game with an Ohio State, Georgia, etc.  When we lose the early season game as we did to Auburn in 2019...it is held against us.  And if we win as we did this season?  It doesn't count for any number of reasons?  (Yours being one of many that could be presented)

I do think it may take more than winning out, as a few other things may need to break our way.  But interesting stuff to ponder and watch occur, but it is only important if we keep winning!

We gotta do our part Saturday afternoon...

The Point by Browning_Pac-12 Video.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

CJ, there's a lot of digging involved in uncovering the Committee's plan. It goes as far down as Mississippi State being No.17. It really doesn't do anything for Miss. State, but look, another ranked team that Alabama beat. I believe you wrote the script the Committee Chair will use if Oregon ends up not making it.

it could be nefarious, but i think it’s simply accurate. it’s the coaches’ and ap polls that give credit for wins in games not yet played. 

if we believe the committee, which says conf champs is major factor, then a 0- or 1-loss p5 champion will get in before a 1-loss p5 runner-up (yes, even the SEC runner-up). 

the only excuse would be SOR/SOS, but making that excuse would be like giving a giant middle finger to the conf (or 2) that’s left out, and i just don’t see anyone wanting to die on that hill. 

pac-12 and big12 have just made it easy by producing 2-loss champs. 

does an undefeated or 1-loss wake forest get in ahead of a 1-loss SEC runner-up in GA? i hope no one has to decide that. 

Edited by DR Hilarius

Win out with style points and we're in.  MUCH easier said than done.  And Ls for OSU, Big 10's & 12's champs would help.  I doubt undefeated ACC passes us as there are no big W's in that conference.

There are way more scenarios that keep us out than the one that might, I repeat MIGHT, get us in. That’s win all the rest of our games convincingly. 

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

Just enough rope to hang ourselves.....

Oklahoma wins out. They are in.

So win out, win with superior results and let the chips fall where they may.