FishDuck Article

Oregon Football: Ducks Survive Dawgs, Monsoon of Early Miscues

There’s nothing worse than wrestling a wet dawg. But it’s worth the stink and sweat for the No. 4 Oregon Ducks (8-1, 5-1) who overcame a brutal first-half monsoon of baffling miscues on offense to defeat regional rival Washington Huskies 26-16 on Saturday night in Seattle. And for those watching at home, we all endured Robert Griffin III’s play-by-play, which was sprinkled with ...

Read the full article here...

To Dye for the Forum_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Just when when I was starting to think that AB had turned some kind of corner with his passing game, he makes it clear that that corner is still up ahead somewhere, or perhaps no where in sight. Speaking of no where in sight, KT#5 was pretty quiet tonight. 

It's hard to imagine this team will get by Utah once, much less twice. Oh well. Time to focus on the hated Washington State Cougars who have had 2 weeks to game plan for Oregon. The Cougs are another team that historically have given seemingly good Oregon teams fits.

• Thumbs Up 2

Gotta love the, "Struggle Bus" "The Huskies are what we thought they were!" a fairly mediocre team. But fun to beat no matter their current condition. Mostly Husky fans spent 3+ hours sitting, standing in that miserable weather, while the Duck fans, after all were, "Singing in the Rain."

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

The impact of the Dye family continues to grow on the Oregon Football Program. I am not sure there has been a more impactful family on the program. 

Troy Dye willed us to the Rose Bowl and a win. Travis Dye is the heart and soul of this 2021 team. 

In the coming years we will talk about that Rose Bowl team and also this years team and the legendary Dye brothers who carried us to great heights. The only question is just how far can this 190lb. running back carry this team? Right now it is limitless with heart this guy is showing!

5tajfc.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

THAT was a Great Win!  A conference win on the road against a rivalry opponent? A Great Win!

Ugly? YES. But under the circumstances: PO ranked 4; rivalry game vs a pumped up team; crummy weather and rallying back from a start with terrible field position and shaky QB play?

Heck of a win! And thank you Ducks for the cover in the rain.

2 Bama looked shaky. As I thought would happen, LSU really pressed this incomplete Tide team.

5 Ohio State needed a heck of a game out of a back up wide receiver and a heck of of game by its FG kicker to survive Lincoln.

6 Cincinnati, rudely served up no main course; this, after a whole lot of ESPN, pre-game whine.

3 Michigan State and 10 Wake Forest both lost on the road. 8 of the Committee's top 25 lost. (Including unfortunately Fresno. but hats off to Andy Avalos for taking down BYU and Fresno.)

JUST WIN DUCKYS! 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

The early miscues were the ugly interception and, in my mind, the poor decision to not have a returner back to catch the punt which culminated into the questionable safety. Nine points that were stuck on the scoreboard for a long time, were surmountable.

I loved seeing AB go after it and prevent the TD after the bad pass. I love his guts!

He's a warrior.

I can see why his teammates love him. He's willing to chance getting injured. He's had two major knee injuries but he still risks another for the sake of the team. That's courageous! 

I'm starting to feel like there are stats that don't account for the intangibles (I KNOW that's basically the definition of intangible,  LOL.). But it seems he almost always comes up with some play that cancels out his miscues. 

And so does the team overall. 

As I look back, I didn't have that bad feeling I've had as a Duck fan watching those miscues. I felt uncomfortably confident, they would right the ship.

Edited by nw777b
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 8:48 AM, nw777b said:

As I look back, I didn't have that bad feeling I've had as a Duck fan watching those miscues. I felt uncomfortably confident, they would right the ship.

Well put...I had that same feeling of confidence (which I had learned to mistrust) even during the bad stuff in the first quarter. This team may be inconsistent, but sure they don't quit. And, with the talent they put on the field, they can overcome a lot.

• Like 1

Travis Dye exemplifies why I watch the game of football. He is the quintessential underdog and an old school throwback to a bygone era. 

I truly believe Travis should be considered a legitimate Heisman Trophy candidate after his performances the past several weeks.

The defense looks to be in snowballing mode. In other words they are building and getting stronger the longer the season goes on. Thib's is forcing other teams to develop an entire scheme to deal with him and that creates a suitable environment for other players to excel. Man Jeffrey Bassa eh? That dude looks the part and is playing the part. What is he going to be like as a safety? That is going to be scary in the next few seasons.

Personally I really enjoyed RGIII's commentary. He has a great happy go lucky personality and keeps it light and entertaining with all his funny sayings. He gave the Ducks respect, which has been hard to come by with some of the broadcasters we have had. I would love to hear more from him. Glad he turned his tough pro career into a broadcasting career. He was a tough luck case in the NFL.

Ducks roll again but Wazzu is going to give us a really tough time next week. The defensive back field is going to have to deal with about 40-50 pass attempts. It would almost be good if it was raining real hard next week too, but right now the forecast is showing decent weather at about 60 degrees and cloudy. 

• Like 1

Agree with you, CJ, both on Bassa and on RGIII. Commentary from RGIII is reasonably analytical and pretty funny at the same time. Plus, his enthusiasm adds to the broadcast.

And Bassa? Wow, his name kept getting called on the biggest plays. He has gone from just filling in to being a force in a very few games.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/7/2021 at 8:56 AM, C J said:

Travis Dye exemplifies why I watch the game of football. He is the quintessential underdog and an old school throwback to a bygone era. 

I truly believe Travis should be considered a legitimate Heisman Trophy candidate after his performances the past several weeks.

The defense looks to be in snowballing mode. In other words they are building and getting stronger the longer the season goes on. Thib's is forcing other teams to develop an entire scheme to deal with him and that creates a suitable environment for other players to excel. Man Jeffrey Bassa eh? That dude looks the part and is playing the part. What is he going to be like as a safety? That is going to be scary in the next few seasons.

Personally I really enjoyed RGIII's commentary. He has a great happy go lucky personality and keeps it light and entertaining with all his funny sayings. He gave the Ducks respect, which has been hard to come by with some of the broadcasters we have had. I would love to hear more from him. Glad he turned his tough pro career into a broadcasting career. He was a tough luck case in the NFL.

Ducks roll again but Wazzu is going to give us a really tough time next week. The defensive back field is going to have to deal with about 40-50 pass attempts. It would almost be good if it was raining real hard next week too, but right now the forecast is showing decent weather at about 60 degrees and cloudy. 

I agree with all of the above,  CJ. Troy Dye played a LOT of downs completely gassed and injured.  Travis "no gloves" Dye is just like him. 

Cast from the same Dye!

Give him the rock and don't let him rest,  ha.

And I thought the exact same things about RG III. 

THANKS for the post!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm currently in Maui on vacation and walked into the hotel restaurant  to watch the game and what do I find? A table of people wearing purple (one guy played for UW in the 60s - didn't get a name). It was actually a really nice time and we had a great chat and two people even said they were rooting for us to make the playoffs. 

The sound wasn't on during the game but heard from a few people that they found RGIII refreshing and I'm thinking I would agree. I dig when it's not commentators not delivering cliches over and over again. 

• Thumbs Up 1

There was no time I thought Oregon might lose this game. The nature of the win was soon apparent as the 7 first down 167 yard joke of a game for Washington soothed my soul. With that weather the only chance the Huskies had disappeared with the difficulty of passing and perhaps the early interception was a blessing as the Ducks turned to a running game more likely to be successful.