Charles Fischer

The "Mario Cristobal" Effect on the Conference

I sure did not think of this...but all from one coach?  Naw....

Mr. FishDuck

Well, first Chip was in charge, then Oregon retreated for a couple of years, and the Puppies scampered around. But all is right again, Oregon is back on top, and that was it all it took for Chris P to high tail it out at Washington,  The rest of the Coaches are tired of looking UP at Oregon and Mario, they wouldn't mind going somewhere else. 

I don't think that's because of Cristobal.  Tucker and Leach left for better jobs, Helton, Sumlin, and Lake simply underwhelmed in general.

• Thumbs Up 1

I did talk about how Cristobal was reshaping the conference in my article last week. 

Though I didn't go through all the turnover, but the more recent coaching turnover and the bigger question that every program looking to hire a new head coach has to answer... "can they beat Oregon on the recruiting trail and on the field?" 

On 11/18/2021 at 1:28 PM, David Marsh said:

I did talk about how Cristobal was reshaping the conference in my article last week. 

Though I didn't go through all the turnover, but the more recent coaching turnover and the bigger question that every program looking to hire a new head coach has to answer... "can they beat Oregon on the recruiting trail and on the field?" 

Loved the article. But if recruiting rankings define a conference, other than for Oregon, the Pac-12 is reshaping itself in the image of the Mountain West.

The 2021 champion of the Pac-12 S should rightfully be BYU. If not BYU, it should be San Diego State. Or possibly, Fresno? 

And this was the season when the S was going to be deeper and better than the Pac-12 N. Utah lost at BYU and SDS. ASU also lost to BYU and is an undisciplined mess. UCLA beats LSU at home but takes the L vs Fresno?  SC is at an all time low. WA ST loses at home to BYU and Utah State. UW?

3 Pac-12 HCs have been dismissed in-season. Has this ever happened before in a P5 conference?

Oregon with a game manager QB and a very young roster has overachieved to date. But without the W in Columbus, where would a 2L Oregon be ranked? The other team ranked in the Pac-12, Utah,  loses Saturday and is out of the top 25. If Utah wins the Utes stay in the top 25 but the Pac-12 is out of the PO and out $6M.

Looking at the recruiting rankings for 2022, what team(s) in the conference other than Oregon, are poised to make a move and be a national contender? What returning QB will put up Heisman-like numbers? Will the conference finish better than .500 OOC?

GO DUCKS. But the Ducks need better partners, period.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2021 at 11:03 AM, Jon Joseph said:

the Pac-12 is reshaping itself in the image of the Mountain West.

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

We DO know what we are doing!
giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/18/2021 at 3:36 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

giphy.gif

Your cats are killing me!

On 11/18/2021 at 12:39 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Your cats are killing me!

Whatta you think of my cat?

giphy.gif

On 11/18/2021 at 10:09 AM, deschutesduck said:

I don't think that's because of Cristobal.  Tucker and Leach left for better jobs

Yes, especially Leach who up until his final year had had our number.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 12:36 PM, Charles Fischer said:

giphy.gif

Yeah, if things keep going the way they’ve been, the PAC 12 IS toast!

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2021 at 2:09 PM, Washington Waddler said:

Yeah, if things keep going the way they’ve been, the PAC 12 IS toast!

I hope that was called 'The Larry Effect' and we have somebody capable working on that. You're right, the trend isn't our friend.

@Charles Fischeryour cat fascination may get the wrong reaction from some Ducks.

757025D3-A7AA-45EB-99C1-E15255C4437B.jpeg

Edited by Duck1984
  • Haha 1