Duck1984

Why Utah is Favored on Saturday

According to ESPN’s Kyle Bonagura:

Through seven conference games, Oregon (6-1) and Utah (6-1) have put up similar statistics. Utah (38.4 points per game) is slightly outscoring Oregon (34.2) and has given up just five fewer points (162 to 167). Both teams are outgunning their opponents by 99.0 yards per game (693 yards total) and are nearly even in turnover margin (Utah +3; Oregon +2).

They have the two most efficient scoring offenses in the conference (Utah at 3.33 points per drive; Oregon at 2.91). Utah has a slight edge on defense too, allowing just 1.96 points per drive to Oregon’s 2.04, and has committed just 4.29 penalties per game to Oregon’s 7.86

Edited by Duck1984

Stats? CFB stats?

I do not recall Utah playing against the awesome Ohio State passing game? Instead Utah faced Weber State.

I do recall the Utes O sputtering at BYU and SDS and Utes D being ground down in the loss to the Beavers.

But Utah has covered in 6 of its last 7 home games and the Ducks is 1-6 Against The Spread in its last 7 games as a road underdog.

Which version of Puddles shows up in SLC? If we see the same thing we saw at ASU in 2019 it will be very disappointing. This is a coaching crucible game for Mario.

Of course, Oregon instead could be playing NM State at home as did Bama last week, or Charles South at home as UGA will be doing on Saturday. At Utah is a PO senseless 4th cross over game for the Ducks.

The Pac-12 excels at shooting itself in the head.

• Thumbs Up 3

Wrap it up, the all seeing Oracle that is Desmond Howard just said that, "The No.3 Oregon Ducks just Might be on Upset Alert!"

On 11/19/2021 at 1:08 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I do not recall Utah playing against the awesome Ohio State passing game? Instead Utah faced Weber State.

I also do not recall Utah losing their OC the morning of an away game... just going to throw that out there too about Oregon's sole loss.

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing that Straightline statistics don't tell is who they have competed against because even though they play in the same conference their is arguable change in teams from week to week. 

One prime example is that Utah has played a minimum of four back up QB's this season. This includes AZ, UCLA, Stanford, and WSU. They also played slovis instead of Dart(USC), someone that you could debate is either the backup or not. Which I think helps beg the question is utahs defense good or are they good because they have had the easiest schedule in conference to date? 

• Thumbs Up 3

Agreed. Jon I asked you in an earlier post and u said new commis created a group to study it. What's there to study?

It's BS we are playing 9 league games when the SEC only play 8. It puts us, the Big 10 and what was the Big 12 at a striking disadvantage. 

Only hope we can have that fixed by next season.

Edited by Duck 1972

The Pac-12 excels at shooting itself in the head.

Feels like we get PLAYED?

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

Oops meant to quote David Marsh. not the best on this damn phone. 

Would like to add that it wasn't just Moorhead we also lost our#1 Safety B Williams the day before the game in freak accident at practice, our starting center in warm ups before the game, our #1 RB in the 3rd quarter and JT in the 4th.

We also had the toughest road schedule I can remember.

The Ducks should be the underdogs against Utah in SLC. The Ducks would probably be favored in Eugene.

Our beloved Ducks best bring the A plus game Saturday. Utah is capable of beating us on their home turf if we don't bring it.

When we bring it, I don't feel Utah will have an answer. They didn't have an answer for BYU or SDSU. This Duck team is vastly more talented than those 2 teams.

However, the games are won on the field not with statistics. The talking heads just spout stats.  They don't know anymore than you or I.

Go Ducks. Bring it and bring it all game long. The Utes have not stared down this rushing juggernaut. They have not played anyone with a defense with KT or NS.

1-0

• Thumbs Up 1

Discussion of non-league games and injuries is interesting, but not relevant to the quoted league stats that show Utah as a slight favorite at home Saturday.

Utah has performed slightly better in league play than the Ducks so far this year.  No argument.  

There are two games left for the Ducks to win big enough to overtake Utah in league play stats.

If they do, they should play as the favorite to win the PAC 12 championship.

Why is Utah favored on Saturday? 

Because they are playing at home and have looked really impressive in their last several games. Not to mention that all the stats favor them as well.

I for one am very happy they are favored and I certainly hope Cristobal and Moorehead use this fact to their advantage the way they did when we trekked to Columbus, OH. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/19/2021 at 1:40 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Would like to add that it wasn't just Moorhead we also lost our#1 Safety B Williams the day before the game in freak accident at practice, our starting center in warm ups before the game, our #1 RB in the 3rd quarter and JT in the 4th.

We also had the toughest road schedule I can remember.

And... don't forget Bridges who was supposed to play a big role that game because of his height... he was a second string CB but losing anyone in the rotation hurts and we lost him on the opening kick off for targeting. 

On 11/19/2021 at 2:35 PM, David Marsh said:

And... don't forget Bridges who was supposed to play a big role that game because of his height... he was a second string CB but losing anyone in the rotation hurts and we lost him on the opening kick off for targeting. 

You bet. All that happens and we still almost win. should have.

On 11/19/2021 at 2:40 PM, Duck 1972 said:

You bet. All that happens and we still almost win. should have.

Key words.. Should have... We did win... if not for that final call of the game that even the announcers were questioning. That was a PI? If anything it was offensive PI not defensive.... again... that game is going to piss me off for the rest of the season. 

On 11/19/2021 at 2:44 PM, David Marsh said:

Key words.. Should have... We did win... if not for that final call of the game that even the announcers were questioning. That was a PI? If anything it was offensive PI not defensive.... again... that game is going to piss me off for the rest of the season. 

Agreed hurts to remember they still had 96 yards to go to tie the game. The odds were 4% chance of course the refs made it 100%