CO Duck

Coaching Question

Lincoln Riley benched Spencer Rattler for true freshman Caleb Williams in the Red River Showdown after Texas jumped to a 28-7 first-quarter lead. At the time of his benching, Rattler had been totally ineffective—completing 8/15 passes with one interception and one fumble. Williams led Oklahoma to a 55-48 come-from-behind win over Texas.

When an AB led offense failed to score any points in the first half against Utah, why didn’t MC bench him for TT? AB was totally ineffective against Utah (17/35 (48.5% completion rate) for 231 yards; 9 carries for 8 yards). The Ducks needed to score points (in a hurry) in the second half. That means they needed to throw it. MC stuck with AB and they scored 7 points. Why didn’t MC do what Lincoln Riley did and bench AB? Is he just too stubborn? Prideful? Conservative? 

It seems MC’s unwillingness to adapt, inability to make difficult decisions, and lack of creativity/flexibility is starting to have a negative effect on the program. The receivers are obviously frustrated. The fans are frustrated. I suspect the defense is also frustrated. It’s obvious to everyone, other than MC, that something (namely, the starting QB) has to change.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yep, we have been discussing that all season here on the Our Beloved Ducks forum.  The majority will most likely agree with you...  And welcome--do post your thoughts often.  I appreciate your thoughts, your writing, and adding paragraph spacing for easier reading!

There were so many receivers open in the first half before the game got away...

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks, Charles Fisher. I have followed this forum for most of the season. I suppose writing my own post was more cathartic than anything else.

I don’t really blame AB. He is what he is at this point, and we all know what that is: a mediocre running quarterback with no arm strength or accuracy and poor decision making ability. Rather, I blame the coach that stubbornly sticks with AB despite his obvious limitations.

Edited by CO Duck
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Great ponder point which leaves us wondering just how good or bad are the guys on the bench?

We see Cardwell and are encouraged about the future. Even the young receivers give us hope, but we are left with a big question at qb. 

I agree, yesterday was the perfect time to give one of the young guys a chance, especially after we iced the game with the punt to end the half. 

5uztvf.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

The result after this year is we have 3 talented quarterbacks without any true game experience!  Next year will be a struggle because of this issue.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I truly think that there have been times during this season that some, or all of our back up quarterbacks could have, and should have been given the opportunity to show what their abilities are.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

THREE YEARS of top-ten recruiting - and THEN we find out ALL we got was the recruiting?

Edited by toketeeman
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 9:49 AM, Dukduponquak said:

I truly think that there have been times during this season that some, or all of our back up quarterbacks could have, and should have been given the opportunity to show what their abilities are.

I was watching a lot of Penn St football when Morrhead was there. Their Offense was a 3 to 4 man show. Maybe that's all he knows?

• Like 1

MC seems to be a poor game manager. When you are so far behind that the running game can't possibly catch up you need to go with the best downfield passer. There was also no excuse for poor clock management at the end of the first half.

On 11/21/2021 at 10:26 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

I was watching a lot of Penn St football when Morrhead was there. Their Offense was a 3 to 4 man show. Maybe that's all he knows?

AB threw to 11 players against UCLA and in the tOSU games. I think injuries have slowed down the ability

to spread the ball around. If you go to the game stats in each game it really is interesting that it seems like hardly anyone is getting the ball

except Dye or a couple WR's but in reality the ball is getting spread around more than it seems to be.

On 11/21/2021 at 10:34 AM, TheRunningDuck said:

MC seems to be a poor game manager. When you are so far behind that the running game can't possibly catch up you need to go with the best downfield passer. There was also no excuse for poor clock management at the end of the first half.

All he had to do was A. run it again or B. Punt it out of bounds. In any other high end job he would be fired.

On 11/21/2021 at 2:24 AM, CO Duck said:

Lincoln Riley benched Spencer Rattler for true freshman Caleb Williams in the Red River Showdown after Texas jumped to a 28-7 first-quarter lead. At the time of his benching, Rattler had been totally ineffective—completing 8/15 passes with one interception and one fumble. Williams led Oklahoma to a 55-48 come-from-behind win over Texas.

When an AB led offense failed to score any points in the first half against Utah, why didn’t MC bench him for TT? AB was totally ineffective against Utah (17/35 (48.5% completion rate) for 231 yards; 9 carries for 8 yards). The Ducks needed to score points (in a hurry) in the second half. That means they needed to throw it. MC stuck with AB and they scored 7 points. Why didn’t MC do what Lincoln Riley did and bench AB? Is he just too stubborn? Prideful? Conservative? 

It seems MC’s unwillingness to adapt, inability to make difficult decisions, and lack of creativity/flexibility is starting to have a negative effect on the program. The receivers are obviously frustrated. The fans are frustrated. I suspect the defense is also frustrated. It’s obvious to everyone, other than MC, that something (namely, the starting QB) has to change.

Riley played both QBs last night in the Sooners 1 TD win over Iowa State.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 1:26 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

A McSorley + Barkley help the cause. Those guys were not with JM at MISS ST. The Pirate is doing far better at MISS ST than did JM.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1