geoquack

One Losing Fan's Psychology

Maybe it's just me, but . . .

A blow out loss like last night is easy for me to get over in the short run.  But it leaves long-term worries about the future of program.

In contrast, a close loss is devastating in the short run.  Lots of second-guessing of key play calls.  No "if only we had done this".  Lots of bitching about the officials.  But when the immediate shock wears off, you're still left with a good team and hope for the future.

I'm worried.  Losses on and off the field are piling up.

• Thumbs Up 1

That is how it is for me as well/ Overall, losses linger around longer than do wins, and beatdowns like last night's leave a bruise.  With as much as was wrong last night it's hard to get a positive vibe for the next game, the doubts that you carried were smoothed away by wins, but now are back, heavier than before.

Right now it's hard to envision a good outcome next week, OBD took a bad loss, and the Beavs, a big win, and the North is up for grabs, as I really think the Cougs will take care of the Mutts. The Beavers will be riding in on a wave of emotion already high and building. OBD has to gather up and start feeling positive for the game from the bottom, and ratchet up their zeal to match, and ultimately, surpass that of the Beavs, while we attempt to do the same.

• Thumbs Up 2

What worries me is sometimes talent can win games. Other times coaching outweighs talent. Last night the coaching was the issue, in my opinion. 

Smith is another wily coach who will have his team ready, much like Whittingham. We need to, have to win at home, and play Utah again if this season is to finish well.

If we can keep building, and not let the foundation fall apart then all is good. Right now, I see cracks in the foundation of what this season was, and hopefully still is.

5uzvtr.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Again, if the Cougars win on Friday, the Beavers are eliminated.

The tiebreaker is confusing. Anybody on here have an interpretation of what would happen if the Beavers win next Saturday and the Cougars also win. These are the most likely outcomes to me at this point based on what I saw on the field from the Ducks, Beavers, Huskies and Cougars this past weekend.

I am a little concerned that Mario may be losing this team......losing the locker room. Was Mycah Pittman just the first straw to fall on the camel's back and many more will eventually fall? A lot of arguing amongst team members last night.

My prediction is Mario Cristobal will not be the head coach of the Oregon Ducks next season, though not by our schools choice, but because he will be given an offer he can't refuse from some other program (Florida, Miami, LSU, USC etc.). The combination of how this season ends (potentially 3 straight losses) and the fans and players griping will have Cristobal reconsidering his loyalty. In fact after the booing in Autzen my guess is he is already reconsidering it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/21/2021 at 8:40 AM, C J said:

Anybody on here have an interpretation of what would happen if the Beavers win next Saturday and the Cougars also win

The Cougars would be Champs. Both would be 6-3 in conference, and the Cougs beat the Beavs.

On 11/21/2021 at 8:40 AM, C J said:

The tiebreaker is confusing. Anybody on here have an interpretation of what would happen if the Beavers win next Saturday and the Cougars also win. These are the most likely outcomes to me at this point based on what I saw on the field from the Ducks, Beavers, Huskies and Cougars this past weekend.

If Beavers and Cougars both win, we have a three way tie at 6-3  Each team is 1-1 against the others.  No advantage there.  The next tiebreaker is record against other North Division teams.  Cougars would be 4-1.  Ducks and Beavers 3-2.  Therefore, Cougars win the North.

Edited by geoquack
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/21/2021 at 8:49 AM, geoquack said:

If Beavers and Cougars both win, we have a three way tie at 6-3  Each team is 1-1 against the others.  No advantage there.  The next tiebreaker is record against other North Division team.  Cougars would be 4-1.  Ducks and Beavers 3-2.  Therefore, Cougars win the North.

Yep Here’s a link explaining 

Ducks have to win next week.

https://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootball/2021/11/who-will-win-the-pac-12-north-here-are-the-scenarios-for-oregon-ducks-oregon-state-beavers-and-washington-state.html

I'm thinking Holiday Bowl- San Diego.

It would be a very good lesson for MC and company.

He/They  would actually have to learn to coach em up as opposed to coaching em down.

I'm sorry to say but the Beaves will take the Cybyl war this year.

To me the Players look burned out--Hopefully I'm wrong.

IMO we are not getting the best recruits for us as it is. We do have some very good ones though-Sewel, KT, McGee, Franklin, Cardwell, Bennett. and a few others.

As far as coaching is concerned -What is our Identity--after 10 games I cant figure it out.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/21/2021 at 8:56 AM, geoquack said:

Again, if the Cougars win on Friday, the Beavers are eliminated.

Yes, but if we don’t win, we are eliminated too and Cougs win. To win North, we must beat the Beavs. 

We'll see how the players "vote" next week end. If the Ducks lose, MC will be heading out of Dodge . . .

• Thumbs Up 1

I am surprised that the tie breaker goes to the better division record second instead of the overall record, which would of obviously favored us. 

Yep, looks like Wazzu has an inside track right now, because the chance we win against the Beavers is very slim in my mind.

I agree with toketeeman that if we lose to the Beav's then the meaningless bowl game we go to will be Cristobal's last game coaching the Ducks.

Edited by C J

On 11/21/2021 at 4:54 PM, C J said:

I am surprised that the tie breaker goes to the better division record second instead of the overall record, which would of obviously favored us. 

Yep, looks like Wazzu has an inside track right now, because the chance we win against the Beavers is very slim in my mind.

I agree with toketeeman that if we lose to the Beav's then the meaningless bowl game we go to will be Cristobal's last game coaching the Ducks.

With the disparity among teams with their non-conference scheduling, I'm glad they keep it to league results.

My good friends, I am just short of not caring. The same thing we saw at ASU in 2019, we saw last night in SLC.

And if you saw Herbert play tonight; well, that is a further reason for frustration. More proof that this coaching staff does not have superior athletes prepared to play to their level of ability.

There is NO excuse. Injuries, youth of roster, not enough experience with a coach who has been a HC for over 70 games, to justify or excuse the failure to win when it matters.. None whatsoever,

The failure to make the PO in 2019 and 2021 is all about incompetent coaching. And IMO, this cannot be excused by superior recruiting, a 1 point win over 3L Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl or hidden behind a complete Fiesta Bowl no show vs Iowa State and a loss to Stanford team that did not belong on the same field.

Oregon was PO worthy team in 2019 and 2021. The failure to reach the ultimate level is squarely on the shoulders of this coaching staff.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1