Charles Fischer

Tweets: Cristobal Pac-12 COY and Alarming Stats

"The Ducks have had no repeat starting lineups on offense or defense all season, 21 different offensive players have started a game this season, and 22 different defensive players have started a game this season.  When the Ducks left the football field on Saturday afternoon with a spot in the Pac-12 Championship game, they did it without 16 players who were not available or got hurt in the Oregon State game from the team's Week 1 Depth Chart."

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Yup got to give credit where credit is due. 

No other coach would want to be in his shoes given the expectations.

Cristobal won't get many votes for COY because the perception around the conference is that Oregon is blessed with the kind of resources that insure that our coaches will do well. There is a lot of jealousy and, let's face it, real hate directed at the Oregon program. Other teams have Oregon circled on their calendars, and Oregon has everyone's full attention and gets everyone's best game.

That said, he has done a remarkable job throughout his career at Oregon, and most notably this season. Through player injuries that mounted through the season and a lot of second guessing from the fans, myself included, about his quarterback choice, he has guided Oregon to a 10 win season that included a victory over Ohio State in their home stadium which I still contend is the greatest victory in college football this year.

Cristobal isn't perfect and he will be the first to admit that he is still learning and still striving to get better. He's hard nosed and stubborn at times, but he's the first one to work in the morning and the last one to leave every night. Oregon was fortunate that the players made a concerted effort to get MC hired after the Taggart debacle, and MC has turned out to be one of the most successful coaches in the history of Oregon football. 

In my book, Mario Cristobal is easily this year's Coach of the Year in the Pac 12, and I hope and pray that we are able to keep him here and watch him progress for many more seasons to come.

Edited by latracey
  • Thumbs Up 4

Best HC and staff in the P12. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 9:34 AM, latracey said:

he has guided Oregon to a 10 win season that included a victory over Ohio State in their home stadium which I still contend is the greatest victory in college football this year.

This is only one of the many points I agreed with in your post. Seems like there are 3 candidates, Smith did a great job with the Beavs, but you can't give a COY to a coach of a team that was so bad on the road. If Whittingham can deliver the Championship to Utah before he rides off in the sunset it's his. If Mario guides this injury riddled Ducks team to a 3rd straight Conference Championship, the COY is Cristobal.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 9:39 AM, GODUCKS15 said:

Best HC and staff in the P12. 

I happen to agree with that statement GODUCKS15.  And with latracey and 30Duck.

What makes me scratch my head is how many fans were calling for his head after the Stanford loss, the tight games against the Bears and Bruins, or the stumble in Utah?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 9:56 AM, PittDuck said:

What makes me scratch my head is how many fans were calling for his head after the Stanford loss, the tight games against the Bears and Bruins, or the stumble in Utah?

Uh, I would not quite use the mild terms "loss" and "stumble", but I agree with the general thesis about MC.

I'd vote for one of Diekert or Smith? 

On 11/28/2021 at 10:21 AM, toketeeman said:

Uh, I would not quite use the mild terms "loss" and "stumble", but I agree with the general thesis about MC.

Would coug and faceplant have been better terms?

• Haha 1

On 11/28/2021 at 8:48 AM, Charles Fischer said:

"The Ducks have had no repeat starting lineups on offense or defense all season, 21 different offensive players have started a game this season, and 22 different defensive players have started a game this season.  When the Ducks left the football field on Saturday afternoon with a spot in the Pac-12 Championship game, they did it without 16 players who were not available or got hurt in the Oregon State game from the team's Week 1 Depth Chart."

We LOST 9 starters.  wonder if any of the top teams had had so much disarray, if they would be smiling right now,  even Georgia. Don't think so.

On 11/28/2021 at 11:33 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I'd vote for one of Diekert or Smith? 

I agree that both did great jobs this year, Dickert saved WSU, and, but for a loss to Cristobal and the Ducks, would have won the North. Smith is doing a great job at OSU, but 7-5 overall, 1 -5 on the road?  That gets him an extension at OSU, but not COY.