Charles Fischer

Startling Starters for Oregon?

The Athletic Department sends out an updated depth chart...and it is hard to know just how accurate it is.  But I will report some notable things that stuck out to me...

One Wide Receiver starter is either Troy Franklin or Dont'e Thornton...true freshman or true freshman!

Another WR starter is Kris Hutson, backed up by Seven McGee

(Devon Williams is the third WR)

One TE  is either Terrance Ferguson or Spencer Webb

2nd TE is either Moliki Matavao or DJ Johnson....he's coming back?

They switched George Moore back to tackle, and TJ Bass back to guard?

Ryan Walk is back at right guard, and Jones or Sala start at RT

On defense the starters listed are who you expect, but they do list Sewell as a starter...either a decoy or for real?

Spencer Webb_Tom Corno.jpg

Spencer Webb No. 18...really good TE play this year!

Mr. FishDuck

Devon Williams is the 3rd wide receiver? Doesn’t than seem strange? He has been the Ducks’ best receiver all year.

Is something going on that we don’t know about?

Devon Williams is the third starting receiver.  One is the X receiver, one is the Y, and one is the slot.  Sorry for the confusion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

OurLads' NFL Scouting Services has a depth chart updated 11/30/2021.

Devon Williams is listed as starter.

On 11/30/2021 at 8:46 PM, Charles Fischer said:

They switched George Moore back to tackle, and TJ Bass back to guard?

They never changed that part of the depth chart. The entire offensive line depth chart really hasn't changed all year... Considering how much the offensive line has been moved around it probably isn't that surprising.

To clarify for certain to all:  Oregon starts three receivers each game, and Williams is one of those three-- is what I attempted to convey.

Mr. FishDuck

What I continue to be miffed by is Trey Benson. He is consistently listed as the #2 running back but I rarely if ever see him on the field. He looked great on the few carries he has had this season though. Perhaps he is still a bit banged up?

On 12/1/2021 at 8:21 AM, C J said:

What I continue to be miffed by is Trey Benson. He is consistently listed as the #2 running back but I rarely if ever see him on the field. He looked great on the few carries he has had this season though. Perhaps he is still a bit banged up?

He was banged up going into the season. Cardwell I think has just shown some incredible vision as a runner which has moved him forward. 

Also... they really don't update the depth chart all that often for the public anyways. So Cardwell is firmly the No.2 RB but is still listed as a "or" on the chart. 

As Trey said, “I tore everything up.” Anterior cruciate ligament recovery can be anywhere between 8 and 12 months. With Cardwell filling CJ’s role and then some, why rush it?

Guest KingT

I'm confident that these coaches will play a guy if they deem him ready to help the team. I have full confidence that Mario will put anyone in the lineup if they can help. I too want to see Benson and 7 play more, but I trust the coaches here. Same with the QB situation.