Jon Joseph

HATS OFF TO MIKE BOHN AND JEN COHEN

There was discussion earlier on the board whether Bohn and Cohen had the sack to make good CFB replacement hire? On paper I think both did just fine?

Lincoln Riley to USC is a home run for Trojans and the conference. He will be a thorn in Oregon's side but he will significantly upgrade the recruiting at SC and a national contender SC lifts all conference boats; especially, the media money boat. Riley is bringing all of his key assistants with him including DC Alex Grinch. After his time at WAZZU, Grinch is very familiar with SC's opponents. A number of OK starters have entered the portal and are expected to follow Riley to SC. A 5* QB commit has decommitted from OK and committed to SC. This is a Blue Blood acting like a Blue Blood for the first time in over a decade.

I think Cohen's hire of Fresno's DeBoer is a very good one. Fresno QB Jake Haener who took the Ducks to the wire and defeated UCLA on one leg, is projected to follow DeBoer to  Seattle, returning to the place where he began his CFB career. DeBoer brings an instant turn around to the Husky moribund offense. 5* QB Huard may bolt but 5* Huard threw 4 picks in the Apple Bowl.

Jonathon Smith is staying at Oregon State as is Chip Kelly at UCLA and Herm Edwards at ASU; 3 of the 6 conference coaches who have their team bowl eligible in 2021. I also think staying with Dickert at WAZZU was a good move. The kids rallied around him after Rolo was let go and he also has the Cougars bowl eligible.

• Thumbs Up 8

Great post Jon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/1/2021 at 7:08 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Great post Jon. 

Thank you and the thumbs up guys. Coaching matters. The Pac-12 simply cannot afford 6 of its teams being bowl season benched. This is possibly the worst season the Pac-12 has ever had? And in 2021 the conference was #1 in the number of returning players.

Want to help GK? Give us 8 regularly scheduled season games. Dump divisions. Dump the preferential Cali scheduling agreement. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Agreed 100%

I couldn't care less about USC, as Ive said before LR will fall flat on his face. He has never been able to win the BIG Game.

His Defenses are suspect at best. Oklahoma has had a reputation for many years as Chokelahoma even with LR

One other funny thing to me is that college football has never been a big deal in Los Angeles, in fact Im not sure its a big deal in all of California.

I never saw Tuscaloosa as a media capital or Clemson South Carolina for that matter, Even the largest media center in the US can only do Stony Brook, Syracuse  or Rutgers.

Texas is so split up with all the different teams representing different areas of the state its only hurting them.

1Ducker: College Football is big….everywhere.  SC football is very big in L.A.  That’s why they pay a coach $9 million.

On 12/1/2021 at 9:34 PM, Duckdude said:

1Ducker: College Football is big….everywhere.  SC football is very big in L.A.  That’s why they pay a coach $9 million.

Im sorry to disagree -Percentage wise not really. Of course there are some big donors but So Cal average folk couldn't care less

On 12/1/2021 at 9:49 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Im sorry to disagree -Percentage wise not really. Of course there are some big donors but So Cal average folk couldn't care less

I agree that relatively the market isn't as saturated in So Cal, but the market is so big that even with the greater lack of interest than in the south it still makes for a pretty big footprint. With a winning team they could easily begin to fill the coliseum again.

This hire for USC will have a big impact on our program. In both negative and positive ways. I don't think Riley will fall flat on his face, but you're right that his defenses could leave some vulnerability and opportunities to exploit.

On 12/2/2021 at 12:27 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

I could care less about USC, as Ive said before LR will fall flat on his face. He has never been able to win the BIG Game.

His Defenses are suspect at best. Oklahoma has had a reputation for many years as Chokelahoma even with LR

One other funny thing to me is that college football has never been a big deal in Los Angeles, in fact Im not sure its a big deal in all of California.

I never saw Tuscaloosa as a media capital or Clemson South Carolina for that matter, Even the largest media center in the US can only do Stony Brook, Syracuse  or Rutgers.

Texas is so split up with all the different teams representing different areas of the state its only hurting them.

When Pete Carroll had SC at elite level? The Coli was packed for every game and ESPN could not run enough features on the Trojans. LA fans are fickle because of a myriad of entertainment options, options you do not have in Tuscaloosa, AL. and Clemson, SC. But Riley gets it rolling and the fans will show up. 

Except for this season, Riley won the B12 title every year he was the HC at OK. And vs OK ST, OK did not get a call to go its way. 

All im saying is that what may be good for USC may not be all that great for the PAC.  LA is a large TV market for sure but I wonder about PAC TV ratings down there.

Also If USC schedules big time OOC teams but other PAC teams still keep losing to lesser OOC teams not much is going to change. 

The PAC as a whole has to up its game and its going to take more than USC being ranked, The SEC has a good reputation because several times there were more than 5 teams ranked in the top 25.  I know that they schedule several cupcake games per year but it doesnt seem to hinder their ratings.

On 12/2/2021 at 10:33 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

The PAC as a whole has to up its game and its going to take more than USC being ranked,

That's right, but for the last few years USC has been dormant. It is going to take more than USC and Oregon brands and success to measure up to the SEC, the B1G usually has 4 or 5 teams in the mix. Getting USC going again is a start that the Pac-12 needs.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/2/2021 at 1:58 PM, 30Duck said:

That's right, but for the last few years USC has been dormant. It is going to take more than USC and Oregon brands and success to measure up to the SEC, the B1G usually has 4 or 5 teams in the mix. Getting USC going again is a start that the Pac-12 needs.

It's going to take commitment and leadership. Including a solution to the woeful Pac-12 network. Also including administrations giving a whip about football. 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 1:34 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Also including administrations giving a whip about football. 

Looking at Larry, he didn't seem like the kind of guy who'd sit down with you and, "talk football" GK isn't screaming that either, but it's early. UO Pres. Schill, at least acts like a fan, and stays out of Mullens' way. OSU's Admins are busy as Beavers. But, yeah, Cal, Stanford?

Oregon and USC are close, and gag, maybe Washington to being perennial contenders. But do any of the others really have a chance of reaching and sustaining a championship level?

Four programs.

Four ten win teams will change the narrative about the conference.  

Would help if the Ducks pull another stunning upset in September and follow that up with run away wins the next two games.

USC will be good next year.  Ten win good.  

Four me, I just want OBD to know the game of football.  In other words, be able to adjust immediately to ANY game plan, turn the heat up, and take control of games FAST HARD FINISH (that is the best football theme Eva!!!).

Keep the division format, but clean up the schedule ( early games, nuke ALL Friday games - title game Saturday before the SEC, and his refs from around the country so play on the field determines championships).  

On 12/2/2021 at 2:36 PM, Mike West said:

Four programs.

Four ten win teams will change the narrative about the conference.  

Would help if the Ducks pull another stunning upset in September and follow that up with run away wins the next two games.

USC will be good next year.  Ten win good.  

Four me, I just want OBD to know the game of football.  In other words, be able to adjust immediately to ANY game plan, turn the heat up, and take control of games FAST HARD FINISH (that is the best football theme Eva!!!).

Keep the division format, but clean up the schedule ( early games, nuke ALL Friday games - title game Saturday before the SEC, and his refs from around the country so play on the field determines championships).  

Great post. But why keep divisions in a 12 team conference that decided not to expand? In this conference as is the case this year, 1 definitely needs to play 2 in the champ game. I have a feeling that this means a lot of future champ games with OR playing USC? You cannot leave room for a division champion that perhaps with OOC Ls, is playing for a title with 4 Ls.. Even this year? Oregon defeated Ohio State in Columbus and Utah lost to BYU and San Diego State. Utah also lost at OR ST and comes into the champ game with 3 Ls. 

OK State wins Saturday and IMO with the 35th SOS vs Cincy's 98th SOS, the Cowboys are in the Final 4? OK ST has the opportunity to defeat No. 9 Baylor at a neutral site. Cincy has the chance to defeat No. 21 Houston on its home field. BTW, OK ST reached out to the Pac-12 and was rejected. And No. 21 Houston would have loved to be in the Pac-12. TCU is not bowling but Texas Tech is.

On 12/2/2021 at 5:19 PM, Jon Joseph said:

1 definitely needs to play 2 in the champ game.

Seems simple doesn't it?

On 12/2/2021 at 5:19 PM, Jon Joseph said:

the Cowboys are in the Final 4? OK ST has the opportunity to defeat No. 9 Baylor at a neutral site. Cincy has the chance to defeat No. 21 Houston on its home field. 

Cincy being in contention is worse than Alabama with 2 L's being considered. Most of Cincy's W's have been against teams that Alabama plays on its Cupcake weekend.

Im sorry to disagree -Percentage wise not really. Of course there are some big donors but So Cal average folk couldn't care less

Oneducker: I think: U wrong, buddy.  In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if there are more SC fans in SoCal than Charger fans.  Not more than Rams, but maybe Chargers.  Anyways, Duck fans may disagree.

On 12/3/2021 at 8:54 AM, Duckdude said:

Oneducker: I think: U wrong, buddy.  In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if there are more SC fans in SoCal than Charger fans.  Not more than Rams, but maybe Chargers.  Anyways, Duck fans may disagree.

Maybe I am wrong but 25mil reside in So Cal, average Att of USC 66,000. If we go by that the Huskies have us all beat--look where they're at.

I know a bunch of people from the So Cal area who just aren't interested in college sports.  BTW the Ducks lead attendance in percentage of seats filled in the PAC.

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/3/2021 at 12:23 PM, Charles Fischer said:

GREAT INFO! Thanks Charles.

BTW - Bronco Mendenhall is voluntarily out at UVA. He is resigning after the bowl game.