Duck 1972

Happening again

I don't understand our League Can anyone explain why our teams get no help?

I'm talking about our game on Friday for the championship. Utah played last Friday. We played Saturday. That gives them 1 more day of rest and preparation for our game. 

Am I wrong to believe it gives Utah a sizable advantage and if so how can this happen? I'm so tired of the PAC, from the scheduling ( especially 8 league games) to the refs. Do the Big 10 or SEC have these same problems or not? It doesn't seem that way to me!

And finally does anyone know what can be done ( or don't bother) by us the fans? A letter writing campaign to the commish. I know the fans at the other schools feel the same way. A frustrated Duck.

TV money to the conference benefiting all schools.  Some games are scheduled far in advance to secure the most lucrative TV slot.  We played a Friday night game October 15 against Cal, and UCLA played Saturday vs. Washington.  Then we met UCLA with with eight days to prepare and they had seven.  It will be forever thus.

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2021 at 4:24 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I'm talking about our game on Friday for the championship. Utah played last Friday. We played Saturday. That gives them 1 more day of rest and preparation for our game. 

Am I wrong to believe it gives Utah a sizable advantage and if so how can this happen? I'm so tired of the PAC, from the scheduling ( especially 8 league games) to the refs. Do the Big 10 or SEC have these same problems or not? It doesn't seem that way to me!

And finally does anyone know what can be done ( or don't bother) by us the fans? A letter writing campaign to the commish. I know the fans at the other schools feel the same way. A frustrated Duck.

The entire 'football process' at the direction of Commish GK, is under a year long review with many changes likely to happen? The Playoff Commission is again meeting discussing playoff expansion. The expectation is that is that the field will go to 12 with all P5 champs in, at least one G5 representative and 6 AL. 

I expect to see the Pac-12, particularly in light of an OOC Alliance Game, to drop divisions and go to 8 regularly scheduled conference games with 1 permanent opponent; OR v OR ST, SC V UCLA, etc. The California scheduling agreement will also go away. The 9th conference game will be played 'Championship Week' with 1 vs 2; 12 at 3; 11 at 4; etc.

1 day's extra rest for Utah stinks but Oregon should have been playing Portland State at home and not at Utah.

• Thanks 1

I so agree about the Utah game. I look at who the SEC plays towards the end of the season and they always have a 4th pasty game.

It's like another bye week to help heal up for the grind of the end of the season. I know the Big 10 plays 9 league games but I'm sure they feel the same.

Can't wait.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/1/2021 at 2:24 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I'd argue that oregon has been given a relatively generous schedule this year. To start we missed the preseason number 1 and number 3 teams from the south and were given az, col, ucla and col(this should say UT) in crossover play.

Second we only played one team off a bye this season(WSU).

Finally the schedule was installed back in march. 

I think this is less of a conspiracy against oregon and more that the conference has been trying to pump viewership by putting games on the friday after thanksgiving so they don't have to compete with other high watched rivalry games.

Does it suck, yeah but if USC won like the preseason expectation, or even ASU than this isn't an issue. 

Edited by UtahDuck
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2021 at 5:21 PM, UtahDuck said:

I'd argue that oregon has been given a relatively generous schedule this year. To start we missed the preseason number 1 and number 3 teams from the south and were given az, col, ucla and col(this should say UT) in crossover play.

Second we only played one team off a bye this season(WSU).

Finally the schedule was installed back in march. 

I think this is less of a conspiracy against oregon and more that the conference has been trying to pump viewership by putting games on the friday after thanksgiving so they don't have to compete with other high watched rivalry games.

Does it suck, yeah but if USC won like the preseason expectation, or even ASU than this isn't an issue. 

Great and spot on take. But why does the conference insist upon 9 games? OR's schedule may have been easy but it should have been easier with a cupcake win at home instead of tripping to SLC. 

It isn't 'fair,' what is? But the Ducks with an 8 game schedule would be playing Saturday for a Final 4 spot and not a spot in the Rose Bowl. Plus the Ducks would have had an extra home game payday.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/1/2021 at 6:28 PM, Jon Joseph said:

But why does the conference insist upon 9 games?

Why did Larry and so far GK, thrive on inertia? It's like they bought in to Frost's now debunked recruiting excuse, and won't accelerate the conference to compete with the other P5's?

• Thumbs Up 2

It was southern CAL wanting to play northern CAL every yr and Or/Was wanting to play in LA every year, as I remember it.

So if we were playing a eight game schedule this year, why is it all of you believe the Utah game is necessarily the 9th game that would not have happened?  Because it’s toward the end of the season?  Makes just as much sense that we played Portland State in place of Colorado or Arizona.  

what makes sense is a nine team conference where everybody plays everybody.

I see what you are saying but we don't play everyone anyway with playing 9. This season we missed ASU and USC.

It would just mean instead of playing both of the mountain schools we would only play 1 of them and alternate every 2 years just like we do with the Arizona and So Cal schools now. 

The main reason for the 8 league games would be to compare with the SEC and ACC. At 8 with 4 patsies it would level the playing field between the leagues.

I also believe that it's the best way to protect our players from injuries and fatigue because of the way the game is played now.

And as Jon mentioned it would provide another home game for each of the PAC teams which would help with revenue.

Much like the referees, you play with what happens on the day, schedule, situation and persevere. This is another great life lesson for these young men. Are they going to be making excuses or ready to rumble?

These guys should have been training for this all season, preseason too. If their goal is to win as many games as possible they have to be ready for injuries, the schedule was set, the refs are known to be lousy, and the ball to be oblong. 

It is time for Oregon to again, not make excuses, remember the tosu game was early, too early, and they just went in and won in the shoe. The only question is, not why, but if they are ready and want it, Go Ducks!

5wcn50.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 10:51 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

We ought to just go back to the Pac-8. Expanding with AZ ASU, then, CO. and UT. have just made things worse.

On 12/1/2021 at 7:28 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Great and spot on take. But why does the conference insist upon 9 games? OR's schedule may have been easy but it should have been easier with a cupcake win at home instead of tripping to SLC. 

It isn't 'fair,' what is? But the Ducks with an 8 game schedule would be playing Saturday for a Final 4 spot and not a spot in the Rose Bowl. Plus the Ducks would have had an extra home game payday.

I won't agree or disagree, i think the 9 game schedule is better than playing a cupcake in november... and that all the power 5 conferences should follow suit. With that said, if the SEC and ACC continue to play with 8 games than we should as well.

as a point if bama had to play an SEC East team instead of New Mexico state in november. They likely would have lost to either Arkansas(a game they won by a TD, or Auburn(won by 2 in 4OT) to end the season. I think that is better for the sport. I would rather see a bunch of 11-1/10-2 teams debating for the playoffs than the current system of two SEC teams with weak schedules down the line, and Clemson who plays in the absolute worst conference getting in by record.

On 12/2/2021 at 1:51 AM, Grandpa Duck said:

So if we were playing a eight game schedule this year, why is it all of you believe the Utah game is necessarily the 9th game that would not have happened?  Because it’s toward the end of the season?  Makes just as much sense that we played Portland State in place of Colorado or Arizona.  

It just so happened to be the Ducks 4th cross over game in 2021. But a 9th game on the road against any conference opponent is likely to be more difficult than playing New Mexico State at home?

No team that played 9 regularly scheduled conference games has won a Playoff title.

Agree with the SEC/ACC 8/4 scheduling argument, however what makes that work (at least for the SEC) regarding CFP ranking is that their league will just about guarantee a highly ranked  contender following a cup cake. Can we say the same for the PAC 12?

On 12/2/2021 at 12:59 PM, Washington Waddler said:

Agree with the SEC/ACC 8/4 scheduling argument, however what makes that work (at least for the SEC) regarding CFP ranking is that their league will just about guarantee a highly ranked  contender following a cup cake. Can we say the same for the PAC 12?

Great point. But if the Pac-12 followed the SEC model, that's presumably 6 more wins and 6 fewer losses. And no doubt would help with bowl eligibility. It also allows for another home game.

Most SEC teams play 7 home games every year.