Desert Duck

Head Coach Requirements

For once in my lifetime, I’d just like to see Oregon hire a coach who:

• 1) Has actually been a D1 level head coach.
  • 2) Has a winning D1 record.

It’s been 70 years since we hired a head coach who met these criteria (Don Read was 20-19 at Portland State… as in, Portland State).

At this point in our program’s history, isn’t Oregon worthy of at least this much?

I’m now on the Kiffin wagon. I’d even take him for just four years. The guy has had a winning record at every college he’s been to. I think it's time to "show Lane the money" and let the recruiting begin.

Edited by Desert Duck

I like your criteria but want to add:

3)  A coach with proven character, not a proven character.

Aranda or Sweeney.

”Greatness or weakness emerge early.”

~ FishDuck

Edited by Duck1984
  • Haha 1

I think when you look at Kiffin, you have to remind yourself, it is not just the winning.  It is how you win, how you represent Oregon.  Chip was a pretty good coach with a great scheme, needing some elite talent.  Lache Seastrunk, was not a great addition to the U of O for many reasons.  Those things count when we talk about bringing a coach to Oregon.  Oregon is building some fantastic things, tarnishing those things for a guy of his character, is not one of them, IMHO.  Kiffin is working in his environment, where those things are well, normal.

On 12/8/2021 at 3:40 PM, EzDucksIt said:

I think when you look at Kiffin, you have to remind yourself, it is not just the winning.  It is how you win, how you represent Oregon.  Chip was a pretty good coach with a great scheme, needing some elite talent.  Lache Seastrunk, was not a great addition to the U of O for many reasons.  Those things count when we talk about bringing a coach to Oregon.  Oregon is building some fantastic things, tarnishing those things for a guy of his character, is not one of them, IMHO.  Kiffin is working in his environment, where those things are well, normal.

LaGarret Blount. Just saying.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know it's just a rumor right now regarding Lanning, but seriously? Can't this program get a guy who has previously been a successful D1 coach somewhere with a winning record? 

And this time, I'd really like to find a head coach whose first play called is not a time out. I'm just sayin'.

C'mon man!

Would think there's a whole lot of learning to do, going from a coordinator position to that of a head coach. You now run the entire program; you hire, fire and supervise a lot of people; you deal with boosters; you set the priorities; you work with the administration; you appear a lot in public; you take on a ton of responsibility. Plus, a whole lot more.

Having HC experience at the D1 level would be preferable, as there would be an existing track record of how a candidate has handled all these things.

People rise to new levels of responsibility all the time, but there's a lot more to being a HC than calling the plays on Saturdays.

On 12/10/2021 at 3:43 PM, Desert Duck said:

I know it's just a rumor right now regarding Lanning, but seriously? Can't this program get a guy who has previously been a successful D1 coach somewhere with a winning record? 

And this time, I'd really like to find a head coach whose first play called is not a time out. I'm just sayin'.

C'mon man!

Remember who we play in our first game next year?

On 12/10/2021 at 4:57 PM, jrw said:

Would think there's a whole lot of learning to do, going from a coordinator position to that of a head coach. You now run the entire program; you hire, fire and supervise a lot of people; you deal with boosters; you set the priorities; you work with the administration; you appear a lot in public; you take on a ton of responsibility. Plus, a whole lot more.

Having HC experience at the D1 level would be preferable, as there would be an existing track record of how a candidate has handled all these things.

People rise to new levels of responsibility all the time, but there's a lot more to being a HC than calling the plays on Saturdays.

Absolutely. I think that one of the reasons Bellotti and Kelly did it so successfully is that they were already in the Oregon program. Already knowing the program, staff, boosters, internal politics, etc, makes a huge difference.

On 12/10/2021 at 4:58 PM, Duck1984 said:

To be honest, not until you asked me. Hmmm...

Having a perfect world is what we all want but is it reality.

probably not

On 12/10/2021 at 5:19 PM, Just Ducky said:

Having a perfect world is what we all want but is it reality.

probably not

The big programs get experienced, successful, D1 coaches.

Didn't realize that Kiff was dating Saban's daughter while working for him and married with 3 little pumpkins at home...did I read that correctly?

On 12/10/2021 at 4:27 PM, Desert Duck said:

The big programs get experienced, successful, D1 coaches.

No idea how it will work out with Lanning, But right now I'm a lot happier than I would be if it was going to be Harsin.

On 12/10/2021 at 4:03 PM, Desert Duck said:

Absolutely. I think that one of the reasons Bellotti and Kelly did it so successfully is that they were already in the Oregon program. Already knowing the program, staff, boosters, internal politics, etc, makes a huge difference.

Well the Snake had a better offense than Chip when Herbert was playing.  And he didn't have D1 experience.  

On 12/10/2021 at 8:09 PM, Mike West said:

Well the Snake had a better offense than Chip when Herbert was playing.  And he didn't have D1 experience.  

So, steal DeBoer from UW? Kidding.