30Duck

Colin Cowherd just Proved that he Didn't Watch an Oregon Game this Season

Colin and his co-host, a huge 'Canes fan, have been raving about Cristobal being the new Coach, But what caught my attention was when talking about how long it would take for Miami to be contending for the championship she said,

"I think they've got to be in contention for the National Championship by year 4."

and Colin responded with, 

"Oh yeah, yeah, they're lucky because they've got the quarterback and the skill people"

Well, if you remember, there is some serious hair treatment with Collin.  That is right Collin, I remember you on the local news sports channel before you had hair!  But I still get a kick out of him.

30, a modest suggestion. Listen not to Colin Cowherd or anyone on ESecPN. It's all scripted. How many athletic events while preparing for his program do you think Colin takes in?

Love the post because it just shows how clueless are most of the CFB pundits. Recall that UW preseason was some sainted guru's, Phil Steele's, 'Surprise Team' of the year. And people pony up money to buy Phil's magazine?

The guys who watch, understand and diligently follow CFB are the folks setting the lines in Vegas and elsewhere. Their only 'opinion' is to balance the book. 

As to the above? Shows what I know, I had UGA +6.5. Mike West knew better.

On 12/8/2021 at 2:21 PM, Jon Joseph said:

30, a modest suggestion. Listen not to Colin Cowherd or anyone on ESecPN.

So true. I have listened to Cowherd  since he did the sports on Channel 8 in Portland, and it didn't seem like he watched the games back then, He has gone on to bigger, and I guess better, since. But his show is cotton candy noise, 

Guest KingT

Colin is an NFL guy through and through. Fakes the rest. Joel Klatt had it right on his show when he said about Mario --"He recruits to a 10 but doesn't play to that level" -- Klatt knows, Colin bloviates.

Colin Cowherd is on Foxsports, not ESPN.  He moved away from ESPN in the summer of 2015.  Most of the national talking heads are there to have "takes" to get clicks and views.

Guest Axel

I jumped off the Cristobal bandwagon after the Stanford game. The man has more hot air than an international balloon festival.

Cristobal manages a game like he's afraid to lose, and the two humiliating defeats to Utah suggest that he's a very poor motivator. 

Cristobal's huckster skills, his only real skills, are of no use during a game. I am delighted that we've foisted Cristóbal on an unsuspecting group of suckers in South Beach.

On 12/9/2021 at 9:41 AM, Axel said:

I jumped off the Cristobal bandwagon after the Stanford game. The man has more hot air than an international balloon festival.

Cristobal manages a game like he's afraid to lose, and the two humiliating defeats to Utah suggest that he's a very poor motivator. 

Cristobal's huckster skills, his only real skills, are of no use during a game. I am delighted that we've foisted Cristóbal on an unsuspecting group of suckers in South Beach.

Hit the nail on the head, had the same feelings.......where's the fire and leadership from the sidelines and it results in under-achieving on the field.

On 12/9/2021 at 9:41 AM, Axel said:

I wouldn't call him a huckster, but he is an extremely good salesman. What he sells is relationships, one of the most effective sales approaches. 

He sold us, first off, on how much he loved Oregon. The relationship was off and running, who does't like somebody who loves where we come from?  He then sold us on the idea he loved our ability to score, and he was going to make it better, wow how high did he want us to jump! 

He was then really good at the relationship with the student athletes, a recruiter. Finally he had that interview with Canzano because he is still all about relationships and making sure he is still loved. There is nothing wrong with this type of sales, it is actually what we all love. 

The problem was it was a bit disingenuous, yes I said it. I wouldn't call him a huckster, because the relationship is still there.  He did build the relationships with us and the athletes. What we have to do is continue the relationship with those student athletes. He sold them on a chance at going to the U of O, scoring lots of points and winning a national title. 

The powers who are making the decision on the next coach, just have to be in line with what was sold to get this wonderful relationship with these elite athletes. He then needs to continue that so the relationship we thought we had can begin anew and actually happen. It is a dream we believed, now can the next guy actually make it happen and mean it!

I don't mean to pick on Mario, this is just the way I see it!

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 11:33 AM, Haywarduck said:

I wouldn't call him a huckster, but he is an extremely good salesman. What he sells is relationships, one of the most effective sales approaches. 

He sold us, first off, on how much he loved Oregon. The relationship was off and running, who does't like somebody who loves where we come from?  He then sold us on the idea he loved our ability to score, and he was going to make it better, wow how high did he want us to jump! 

He was then really good at the relationship with the student athletes, a recruiter. Finally he had that interview with Canzano because he is still all about relationships and making sure he is still loved. There is nothing wrong with this type of sales, it is actually what we all love. 

The problem was it was a bit disingenuous, yes I said it. I wouldn't call him a huckster, because the relationship is still there.  He did build the relationships with us and the athletes. What we have to do is continue the relationship with those student athletes. He sold them on a chance at going to the U of O, scoring lots of points and winning a national title. 

The powers who are making the decision on the next coach, just have to be in line with what was sold to get this wonderful relationship with these elite athletes. He then needs to continue that so the relationship we thought we had can begin anew and actually happen. It is a dream we believed, now can the next guy actually make it happen and mean it!

I don't mean to pick on Mario, this is just the way I see it!

You hit the nail on the head Hayward pertaining to my real problem with Cristobal. A testament to his great recruiting was his ability to be a great salesman, but his words rang hollow when put to the test.

So much of what he said in his interviews was filled with the blather of coach speak with very little substance. There was most definitely a narrative he was trying to create. How many noticed some of the same ideals and platitudes being rehashed for the eager Miami supporters at his acceptance speech the other day? I'm sure it brought tears to the eyes of some, but I had the feeling that I'd heard it all before. 

He always talked about the "real relationships" he had with his players, but I've seen a lot that's come out from players and parents of players since he left that suggest that he was less than honest about the things he promised them.

A "real relationship" can only truly happen if you have a real relationship with The Truth.

Edited by latracey
  • Thanks 1

On 12/9/2021 at 11:49 AM, latracey said:

You hit the nail on the head Hayward pertaining to my real problem with Cristobal. A testament to his great recruiting was his ability to be a great salesman, but his words rang hollow when put to the test.

So much of what he said in his interviews was filled with the blather of coach speak with very little substance. There was most definitely a narrative he was trying to create. How many noticed some of the same ideals and platitudes being rehashed for the eager Miami supporters at his acceptance speech the other day? I'm sure it brought tears to the eyes of some, but I had the feeling that I'd heard it all before. 

He always talked about the "real relationships" he had with his players, but I've seen a lot that's come out from players and parents of players since he left that suggest that he was less than honest about the things he promised them.

A "real relationship" can only truly happen if you have a real relationship with The Truth.

It is amazing when you talk, really listen to a guy like Mario. He makes you feel like you are on the same exact page. I remember many saying he was the guy who sounded like a head coach, he is a leader!

The great thing about people like Cristobal is I actually think, deep down, he wanted to do the things he spoke so highly of. He sold the kids on being the best they could be, catching balls, scoring points, winning games, and he wanted that for everyone. The problem is there is a disconnect between what he said and what he is genetically capable of. 

A real relationship with what Mario stated as goals is possible. The problem was he wasn't capable of making it happen. The best thing he could have done was step away. He set up these dreams, the direction we need to go and then got out of the way. It is now the job of whoever is filling the job to fill those empty dreams. I think it can happen, because he built it, he just couldn't get it to go. Time to get it to go before those incredibly important pieces leave!

I am grateful for what Mario said and did, he just couldn't get it done, and for him leaving we are, again, fortunate. It is now an remarkable opportunity to finish what he started.

• Like 1

Guest Axel

Calling Cristobal a huckster may be a little harsh, but a lot of what he said was blather. In his interview with John Canzano the other day, Cristobal talked about his coaching philosophy of going 100 miles per hour 100 percent of the time. That's hardly a formula for success, of course. Rather, it's running around like a chicken with its head cut off. It's just one example of nonsensical Cristobal-speak during his time at Oregon.

There is no question that Cristobal had the gift of gab to recruit well. But the product on the field left much to be desired. There is no excuse for the two pitiful performances against Utah, especially when there was so much on the line for our Ducks. 

On 12/9/2021 at 1:34 PM, Axel said:

Calling Cristobal a huckster may be a little harsh, but a lot of what he said was blather. In his interview with John Canzano the other day, Cristobal talked about his coaching philosophy of going 100 miles per hour 100 percent of the time. That's hardly a formula for success, of course. Rather, it's running around like a chicken with its head cut off. It's just one example of nonsensical Cristobal-speak during his time at Oregon.

There is no question that Cristobal had the gift of gab to recruit well. But the product on the field left much to be desired. There is no excuse for the two pitiful performances against Utah, especially when there was so much on the line for our Ducks. 

It is all part of the information loop he provides. This is exactly what we want from everyone (100 percent), and he assures us that is what we are getting from him, actually what Miami is getting from him. It is very reassuring. 

I am actually amazed the Oregon faithful bought it for so long. This isn't what PK likes or tolerates. 'Just Do It' is the mantra, not 'Just Say It' and that is mainly what we got on what is most critical to our Oregon Football DNA. 

Again that is who he is and he actually did some great things, and set us up in the end, as long as we keep it going and steer it off this cliff!

• Thanks 1

Guest Axel

Haywarduck, you summed it up well with "Just Do It," not "Just Say It."

The embarrassment of 78-16 vs the Ute’s sealed the deal for me.  PAC-12 channel should have an R-rated warning for the reruns.