AllOregon

Three of the Last Four Coaches under Rob Won Rose Bowls, Deserves the Credit he can get This Right

Saw a post here wondering why Rob kept his job the last few years.

Figured it was time to take a view of the forest.

I will sign up for that % of success every time.  

• Thumbs Up 4

Matt Phrem at 24/7 is reporting he thinks "the brass":  1) knows what it is doing; 2) things are progressing "normally"; 3) knows there is a sense of urgency; 4) and that the decision will probably come in the next 24 to 48 hours.

He also acknowledges the restlessness of the fan base.

• Thumbs Up 2

Im still bitter how the coaching staff under Helfrich got flushed, not why, but how.  

Im also bitter how Taggart treated the teem under his watch; punitive workouts, etc.

It was BS, unnecessary, and not in the best interests of student athletes.

And Taggart didn't even coach his own bowl game...

But also.. 2/4 coaches have made it to a National Championship game too. 

On 12/10/2021 at 12:41 PM, David Marsh said:

But also.. 2/4 coaches have made it to a National Championship game too

! This!

• Thumbs Up 1

There is association and causation, correlation two very different things. Some may want to give Mullens credit for the coaches he didn't hire, and they are associated with him. The question did Mullens cause them to win and is there a correlation to his work and the outcomes, I think not. 

Mullens job and he is very good at it is to help get projects done, and manage the money. He isn't the lead on hiring with the big decisions, like head football coach. He is the front man on those jobs and manages all the egos, as has been discussed. 

If we want to give credit to someone other than the coach for the success the coaches have, it should go to the guy who makes the final decision. The guy who makes the decision on how to support the coach. The guy who actually makes it possible the coach has a product recruits want to come to Oregon play for.

Giving Mullens lots of credit may be seem prudent, but I don't think it is warranted. He is supposedly made calls to talk to CK 3 days after Cristobal left, that isn't leading. He is just going through the motions while others are doing the heavy lifting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who is that guy (s) ?  Both of the PKs?  

On 12/10/2021 at 1:22 PM, AllOregon said:

There is only one guy who is a genius in sports marketing. Phil Knight deserves all the association and correlation we can create!

On 12/10/2021 at 1:22 PM, AllOregon said:

On 12/10/2021 at 1:27 PM, Haywarduck said:

Phil Knight deserves all the association and correlation we can create!

Phil & Penny Knight!

Edited by ICamel

That’s fair.  I’d amend the words in my Subject title above to have really meant the Oregon Machine as absolutely it is never one person, Rob included.

My main point was Oregon’s current “leadership” (insert names here) has had a very successful decade+ run of successful coaches.   3 Rose Wins and 2 Natty appearances.  We should trust they can do it again.

Wil-LIE being the exception.

Edited by AllOregon

SIGH. The Rose Bowl when it is not a semifinal playoff site is the best of the exhibition bowl games. Top drawer recruits want to join a team that can reach the Playoff. 

Even in a 12 team PO Oregon would not have qualified this season. I am old school but the Rose Bowl to most of these youngsters is nothing if it is not a part of the Natty. I guess I am swimming against the Tide but winning a Rose Bowl over a 3L B1G team by 1 point is not a big deal. Not showing up for the Fiesta Bowl is a sorry but inexcusable effort.

It's PO or bust. And with only 6 Pac-12 bowl eligible teams there was no reason for this Oregon team if correctly coached, should not be playing Bama in the Cotton Bowl instead of Cincinnati. The unprecedented win for Oregon at Ohio State was wasted.

If you are happy with runner-up bowls by all means do not go after a Kiffin or an Aranda or even the Iowa State coach or Bill O'Brien. 

If you don't aim for the stars you will never get there. Chip was a perfect storm of a revolutionary O aided and abetted by a group of amazing assistant coaches that he inherited. Nick A was the perfect DC for Chip's then style of play. 

As I have noted previously, the new UW coach defeated Chip this season in LA. And he bringing a QB who beat UCLA on one leg and took Oregon into the 4th Q along with him.

What does Chip when it comes to recruiting and style of play today bring with him but for memories. His DC has been out of it for years in the NFL and in college.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2021 at 2:30 PM, Jon Joseph said:

And he bringing a QB who beat UCLA on one leg and took Oregon into the 4th Q along with him.

Nope.  Said coach got played by Tedford:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/fresno-state-quarterback-jake-haener-apologizes-tranfer-portal-return/1kgyhcze5qos01nurfbvgtcg6k

On 12/10/2021 at 3:30 PM, Jon Joseph said:

SIGH. The Rose Bowl when it is not a semifinal playoff site is the best of the exhibition bowl games. Top drawer recruits want to join a team that can reach the Playoff. 

Even in a 12 team PO Oregon would not have qualified this season. I am old school but the Rose Bowl to most of these youngsters is nothing if it is not a part of the Natty. I guess I am swimming against the Tide but winning a Rose Bowl over a 3L B1G team by 1 point is not a big deal. Not showing up for the Fiesta Bowl is a sorry but inexcusable effort.

It's PO or bust. And with only 6 Pac-12 bowl eligible teams there was no reason for this Oregon team if correctly coached, should not be playing Bama in the Cotton Bowl instead of Cincinnati. The unprecedented win for Oregon at Ohio State was wasted.

If you are happy with runner-up bowls by all means do not go after a Kiffin or an Aranda or even the Iowa State coach or Bill O'Brien. 

If you don't aim for the stars you will never get there. Chip was a perfect storm of a revolutionary O aided and abetted by a group of amazing assistant coaches that he inherited. Nick A was the perfect DC for Chip's then style of play. 

As I have noted previously, the new UW coach defeated Chip this season in LA. And he bringing a QB who beat UCLA on one leg and took Oregon into the 4th Q along with him.

What does Chip when it comes to recruiting and style of play today bring with him but for memories. His DC has been out of it for years in the NFL and in college.

Thank you for saving me the time of having to come up with what you just wrote! Spot on.

On 12/10/2021 at 2:48 PM, AllOregon said:

I don't think Haener needed to apologize.  His reasoning made sense to try the transfer portal and follow his old coach.  

Those LA studs absolutely value the Rose.  Go back and look at the chatter after we beat Wiscie (again).  Is a partial reason on the recruiting success over USC.

And of course, a top stud has huge eyes on playoff/Natty.   But to dismiss the Rose as a meaningless consolation or exhibition game feels either uninformed or straight from a jealous Husky forum post.

On 12/10/2021 at 3:57 PM, kirklandduck said:

I don't think Haener needed to apologize

Agreed.  Reason for link was to source a fact that the QB is NOT going with the old Fresno coach

On 12/10/2021 at 4:57 PM, kirklandduck said:

I don't think Haener needed to apologize.  His reasoning made sense to try the transfer portal and follow his old coach.  

I agree with you 100%. Unfortunately, FBS CFB is all just a business now -- for the schools, coaches, and kids. You try to make the best decision available. I'm glad he still had a chair at Fresno State, though, when the music stopped playing. 

On 12/10/2021 at 5:01 PM, AllOregon said:

Those LA studs absolutely value the Rose.  Go back and look at the chatter after we beat Wiscie (again).  Is a partial reason on the recruiting success over USC.

And of course, a top stud has huge eyes on playoff/Natty.   But to dismiss the Rose as a meaningless consolation or exhibition game feels either uninformed or straight from a jealous Husky forum post.

I didn't read 'meaningless consolation or exhibition game' into what he said. But CFB has changed dramatically since FBS. The Rose Bowl is still a wonderful bowl, but most of the time it's just not anywhere remotely close to what it once was.

And admittedly, some of what I feel is due to the success we've had over the last 26 years as well. Being at the PAC12 Championship game last week and talking to Utah fans, I came to realize how very excited there were at the prospect of going to the Rose Bowl -- and a huge part of that was because Utah had never been there before. Had the Ducks won, we would have gladly gone again, but it was a much bigger deal to them.

Edited by Desert Duck