30Duck

Oregon's Playing the Odds With New Coaching Hires

Thanks for the link.

"a question that any fan should be asking. Is there a backup plan here?"

What was the backup plan for Cristobal? An emergency hire with an obvious losing record, the only thing he really brought to the table was A+ recruiting. Aside from the tOSU game this year we looked under coached, unprepared and generally lost, even while winning. And then there was qb development... what a disgrace. I wish MC well, but as a D1 HC he's out of his depth. 

anyotherduck...you are new, and do keep posting your thoughts.  WELCOME!

Mr. FishDuck

Without reasonable risk you will never get a decent ROI.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/16/2021 at 12:11 PM, anyotherduck said:

a question that any fan should be asking. Is there a backup plan here?"

I don't think there can be much of a back-up plan... besides having a list of potential replacement candidates ahead of time. I mean I guess if there is someone on the staff that is the heir apparent then that is the back-up plan of sorts... Brooks > Bellotti > Kelly > Helfrich ... Taggart > Cristobal 

But that back-up plan only has value if there is a long line of institutional loyalty... which there really isn't... any pretty much every program now.

By the way... shameless self promotion time... Might be worth reading my article on FishDuck tomorrow concerning coaches and loyalty. 

The back up plan is making the position as attractive as possible. Coaches undoubtedly look at positions and the support they get. They also look at where the previous coach ends up.

When the new indoor facility gets done, and it isn't just a rich alumni's pie in the sky promise, the Oregon program will look even more attractive. The academic facilities being built on campus are also impressive, along with Hayward Field. Oregon looks like an elite athletic department with many mens and women's NCAA titles, and an academic powerhouse.

The job of coaching may have become a stepping stone, but it is an upward stepping stone. Coaches haven't been asked to walk on water, and they haven't sunk after coaching at Oregon. We may not like the directions our coaches have gone, but to most coaches this is an attractive attribute. Not just the head coaches, but the OC's have taken head coaching positions. 

I actually wouldn't call our plan a back up plan, more of a moving ahead plan. Our coaches and the program keeps moving ahead, and coaches want to be part of that kind of program. We are like the cool kid who always lands on his feet, and people just are attracted too. We aren't just the rich kid, who often has to impress new friends with just money and power, because they have alienated all their old friends. 

There are something like 77 highly talented freshman on this team. They could darn near draw up a play in the dirt between plays and win 5 or 6 games.That gives the coaching staff time to get this thing going the right direction. First year expectations will be high. Hope DL can meet those expectations with coaching ability. Heck, MC won 10 games on talent alone. Fluke? Maybe... but Lanning can't be any worse of a game time coach than MC is.