Charles Fischer

Auburn Wire: Five Reasons Why Bo Nix Shouldn't Have Transferred to Oregon

Brutal article, but the Tigers did want Nix to stay...so that's not so bad.  Did you know that..."the Pac-12 is a Barren Wasteland" according to this writer?

Five Reasons Bo Nix Shouldn't Have Transferred to Oregon by Lance Dawe of Auburn Wire

USATSI_15080119.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

"If Oregon loses week one to Georgia (that matchup will be full of storylines, by the way), then the Ducks’ path to the playoff may be nonexistent. The committee does not hold the Pac-12 and their strength of schedule in high regard."

Does Auburn who finished 6th in the SEC West this season think they're getting to the playoffs next year? 😂

I should mention I don't think we will be going to the playoffs next year but just found that funny as a reason.

Edited by deschutesduck
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

That article smacked of sour grapes as the sacred SEC lost a former chosen one.

Auburn wanted him to stay because he was improving and was a team leader. They were better with him on the field.

In order to get the starting job he will have to earn it. Hopefully that earns the teams respect. QB room just gained game day experience. SEC game day experience.

This could be just the beginning of some highly talented SEC player transfers. That's exciting.....

As for the PAC being a wasteland. That writer was spot on. Many games are boring, very little fan base support and we can't beat Mountain West teams. The PAC gets out coached and out played by lesser opponents.

In the 21st century only USC and Oregon have played for a Natty.

Respect has to be earned.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/19/2021 at 6:33 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

This could be just the beginning of some highly talented SEC player transfers. That's exciting.....

Good point that I had not thought of...a new trend of moving to opportunities in "that wasteland?"

Mr. FishDuck

"Barren Wasteland"

Ouch... At least this guy doesn't beat around the bush.

Sadly, in regards to college football, I'm afraid the facts and data say he's right. The last time the PAC had an outright national football champion, Nixon had just crushed McGovern in '72 (USC). Since then, USC shared the title in '74, and the UW in '91. The 2004 USC title doesn't exist. 

Of the 32 teams who have participated in the College Football Playoffs since 2014, only 2 have been from the PAC12.

So, the PAC12 has a lot of work to do. One thing that I am particularly pleased with is that Mario showed us that Oregon can recruit star athletes. Hopefully that will continue under Lanning. 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

Competition is going happen, but with Ashford and Thompson hang for two (2) years if Nix wins out?

Spring ball will determine who transfers ____ Heck maybe it will be Bo Nix.

I do like Dillion Gabriel with Chip @ UCLA home run if he can stay healthy.

Lets be honest -the PAC has been bad for quite some time--even embarrassing at times.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/20/2021 at 5:18 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Lets be honest -the PAC has been bad for quite some time--even embarrassing at times.

At least the Pac12 is man enough to play nine conference games.  Unlike the SEC.

On 12/20/2021 at 5:52 AM, geoquack said:

At least the Pac12 is man enough to play nine conference games.  Unlike the SEC.

But how many decent teams are in the PAC? I suppose we could play the likes of Montana like the Huskies-LOL

On 12/20/2021 at 6:01 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

But how many decent teams are in the PAC? I suppose we could beat the likes of Montana unlike the Huskies-LOL

FIFY

• Haha 1

On 12/19/2021 at 8:28 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Brutal article, but the Tigers did want Nix to stay...so that's not so bad.  Did you know that..."the Pac-12 is a Barren Wasteland" according to this writer?

Five Reasons Bo Nix Shouldn't Have Transferred to Oregon by Lance Dawe of Auburn Wire

USATSI_15080119.jpg

General attitude in the conference 'where it just means more.' However, playoff 2 for 8. 1-2 record in the playoff. 0-1 so far in 2021 bowl games with a legit shot to go 0-6? What has the Pac-12 done to make the conference matter? W over OH ST was flushed by the L at Stanford. W over LSU was flushed by an L to Fresno and LSU going 6-6. W over Vandy by Stanford? 

9/3/22 - Oregon plays UGA and Utah plays at Florida. Later, AZ plays Miss St. The conference has to win these games and not melt down thereafter. (And GK has to get off his ass and tell Hanks to go with an 8 game conference schedule.)

• Thumbs Up 1

The article is pretty spot on about the PAC-12 not being CFP competitive—as currently structured.  However, a few thoughts give me a sense of optimism, not so much for 2022 as for the succeeding years.

First, we will eventually have an expanded playoff system that opens more opportunity for conference champions, and the Ducks are, arguably, always in a legitimate hunt for the PAC 12 championship. Second. Nick Saban will eventually retire, and the follow-up act is going to be tough for whomever gets the nod. The shake-up is going to rile the SEC for for a couple years in terms of recruiting.  

Third, getting a player Bo Nix who could have almost had his pick of SEC and Big 10 teams to consider, shows that Oregon is still attractive on the national stage for recruits.  It’s an acknowledgement that while the the recent PAC 12 success nationally has been limited, the PAC 12 can cycle back up.  Just as cash tends to flow to where future (emphasis on future) opportunities look best, such as developing countries, talent often does too.  

• Like 1

Almost an interesting read from an Auburn homer. What I found even more interesting were the comments after the article. Not one was favorable of the article. One was extremely unfavorable to the writer, calling him a "high schooler". Several pointed out how wrong he was saying that Oregon didn't put QB's into the NFL. JH got mentioned in all of those and several other NFL Duck QB's were also mentioned (but not all of them). All in all, the comment section was very pro Oregon without being at all anti Auburn.

They seemed like they were all fairly mature Auburn fans. One specifically was thinking and hoping that the move would be good for both Nix and Auburn.

On 12/20/2021 at 10:26 AM, Jon Sousa said:

One was extremely unfavorable to the writer, calling him a "high schooler".

Unlike FishDuck...most of the writers for Oregon football sites are quite young and do not have our "Greybeard-age" perspective and courtesy.

Mr. FishDuck