DanLduck

Would a Utah Win Have Saved the Pac-12?

If the Utes win big, will that make the Pac12 look better? If tOSU loses twice in the same year to different Pac12 teams, that should say something!

So far looks that way. 

It is interesting though because for Utah is the biggest game and the pinnicle of most of these kids college football careers the notion of opting out didn't even cross their minds. 

On the other side... Ohio state is royally disappointed with just a Rose Bowl and has a bunch of opt outs who don't see this as a worth while game. 

That will probably result in a stronger Utah advantage. 

When was the last time Ohio state lost to one, let alone be two Pac-12 teams in a single season? 

Edited by David Marsh
  • Thumbs Up 1

It would certainly mean something, on top of saving the Pac-12 from the ignominy of an Ofer in Bowl games, and Thee OHio State's season's would be complete, with a loss to its dreaded rival, and 2 Pac-12 teams. 

• Like 1

I don't think it saves the conference but it's good for Utah and I'll be happy for them and their fans.  The Pac-12 is a joke at this point as a football conference.  Thankfully USC is going to be good again in 2 years and I expect Oregon will be in the playoffs in 2 years unless things go better than expected next year and they get in a year ahead of schedule.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Maybe showing how large loss of starters really matters. Can that be the reason for our up and down season.

Also Utes look pretty good with using 12/13 personnel, our defense"s bugaboo all season long.

I'd like to to talk about 2 major season ending injuries in particular. Losing J Flowe and CJ Verdel. I believe our season would have significantly improved without this happening.

I know injuries occur but we lost so many starters for the season throughout the season. another big one was losing Bennett Williams who was playing amazing in our defensive backfield.

What do you think?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 1/1/2022 at 4:09 PM, Duck 1972 said:

What do you think?

Flowe is hypothetical since he was gone so early. But it's hard not to think how much better he would have made the defense. We saw how Verdell did against OH. ST. As great as Never Say Dye was, having Verdell with him in the backfield, with his breakaway speed and pass catching ability? One would think, with Verdell still in the game, the Ducks would have gone on to beat Stanford,? His presence could have made a difference in the Utah games?

On 1/1/2022 at 7:09 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I'd like to to talk about 2 major season ending injuries in particular. Losing J Flowe and CJ Verdel. I believe our season would have significantly improved without this happening.

I think losing Flowe was tragic and in my opinion, more costly than CJ.  That said, I don't see any difference in wins/losses with either of them being available because it was play calling and QB play that caused every loss this season and cost this team getting in the playoffs...which is truly a testament to how deep this team was.

NO, but bringing in OK ST, TX TECH, Baylor, TCU, Houston, KS, K ST and Iowa State may have?

• Haha 1

On 1/1/2022 at 7:01 PM, Jon Joseph said:

NO, but bringing in OK ST, TX TECH, Baylor, TCU, Houston, KS, K ST and Iowa State may have?

Quite possibly.