Washington Waddler

Coaching Consistency — How Much Does it Matter?

As Duck fans, many of us fondly remember those days when Oregon pretty much stood alone among P5 football programs for the longevity and consistency of its coaching staff. Assistants were often career coaches, and head coach was a promotion from within the ranks. 

There seemed to be a steadying force in those days — a feeling, or determined vision — that held coaches in place through rough patches, and allowed us to stay the course towards the goal of playing for PAC 12 and National Championships. We grew accustom to it; we got use to it.

And then Mark was fired — and like the triggering of a domino effect — we fell from that unique place where coaches felt like family, and into the competitive trough where contending programs battle with dollars and brand visibility to attract, hire and keep coaches who are only a phone call away from their next upgrade. Like the saying, you don’t know know what you have until it’s gone.

It’s easy to look back on those days with a longing. Some of us would like to have them back. Many believe that kind of coaching consistency is the straw that stirs the drink; is the glue that holds all the other parts together, and without which we can never regain the path leading to greatness. That feeling can get downright uncomfortable when you look at Utah.

There is a remarkable resemblance between Utah’s current program and where we once were. Like we were back then, Utah has a solid number — including their head coach — who have made Utah their career, and as a group (the 15 most prominent staff positions - my choices), average nine years in the program. Add to that the resemblance to Oregon’s past of a staff whose roots were primarily in the west (13 of the 15 for Utah), and it can feel as if they have inherited the mantel once worn by the Ducks. Two blow-out loses to them don’t help matters. But have they? And even if they have, can they hold onto that consistency, even if they want to?

The question:  is coaching consistency a goal unto itself, or is it just a first step — a phase — any worthwhile (and fortunate enough) program might go through on its way to entering the bigger fray? Utah could end up being lucky enough never to have to deal with a Mark Helfrich, or they may. Either way, success leads to visibility, and visibility puts you on another competitive level — another step — which programs either adjust to — or not. 

Coaching consistency certainly seems preferable, but is it necessary to success? It’s never a good idea to compare your program to Alabama, but that’s never stopped me before. Like the direction Alabama has been on for a long time, where I see us heading coaching-wise is similar to a roller coaster ride that is always trending slightly uphill: you start to fall ( lose a coach), but you don’t fall quite as far as you did the previous time (hire a better one).

Dan Lanning feels like a step in that direction. Many of his assistant choices do so as well. Only time will tell. Will this move lead to coaching consistency once again? Probably not. Do we really need or even want that kind of consistency ever again, or is consistency something we must do whatever it takes to achieve again? I don’t know.

There are lots of times, I must admit, when I miss that old consistent, unchanging Oregon we once were. But the more I let myself adjust to our new reality (expand my comfort zone?) the better I’m learning to deal with it — and even enjoying the ride!

Thanks for being my therapists. Your thoughts? 

• Thumbs Up 1

You touch on a beautiful point and thread. Continuity in coaching is linked to mediocrity over the long term. Eventually, if you have great position coaches then somebody wants to promote them at another school. It's actually a complement, although I want excellence forever. Saban's coaches are constantly getting new jobs everywhere. Why? Because they are getting promoted, because they are good at what they do. It's the nature of the beast. Do really well and everyone wants to replicate you.

But, if you have been a perennial loser for 100 years with a good year here and there then keeping a coach from leaving over 15-20 years isn't hard. And when said coach starts bringing winning seasons in succession, well now. He's the best thing since sliced bread. Brooks and Bellotti, I was more during the time of Bellotti, brought average up a notch. Bellotti took above average and labeled them 'Potential'. Still, Oregon has been above average these past 10+ years. How so?

It was an outsider that did it. It was not from within. Two Natty runs followed by a losing season and then some 10 win seasons makes me grade them out as 'Above Average'. Elite? No. Coaching consistency is important.

Head Coaching consistency is important. If any of the coaches would have left sans Mario Cristobal, then we would most likely not have had the Exodus for our 2022 recruits. But Mario goes and so does 2022 recruits. If we don't get a solid HC then we turn into SC. Great players but no leadership. I truly hope DL considers this a long term stay. If he does, then I believe that his stability will produce playoff runs, yeah I said Runs.

Consistency does matter, especially for creating real teams. Teams are made up of a hierarchy of players who bring along the new guys. Coaches have expectations and the senior players bring along the new guys, quickening the learning process. This is why Chip was able to flourish and Mark was able to keep it going until his weaknesses overtook the process.

Like I said in another thread it was amazing to see Utah start one qb in one scheme and then being able to pivot to another qb and a whole different scheme. That takes consistency in expectations so then the real coaching can take place. Student athlete know how to act, when to listen. Coaches know how to work well with each other. That is what we see with Utah and we use to see at Oregon.

This is also why I think there may be some growing pains with the team being fairly young and full of new coaches. There will be a process of learning the systems and learning how to all work together. If it all works like clock work in the fist season, Lanning truly will be a magician.

We will begin just like Mario left it, a team with a lot of talent, but little effective coaching. How long the process of getting effective coaching will be interesting to watch

He is not taking over any processes or procedures from the previous coaches. He has to create them all, understand the program, the coaches, the players, and I am sure a million other things I nor anyone who hasn't done it, doesn't even begin to understand. This is a tall order for a new coach. We need to have high expectations, but understand the challenges.

It is a difficult dance to achieve... Clemson has also been a model of coaching consistency and a program that had achieved the highest level of college football... They lost two pillars of their continuity this year losing both their long time OC and DC. 

I think there is a balance to be had... Find the right hires to get them into the program and grow them from within but also never shutdown outside hires. Hiring from without beings in new ideas and new ways of doing things. 

If Bellotti didn't hire Chip Kelly from outside of the program, the history of Oregon would be a lot less interesting. 

In the same vein promoting from within was the Oregon way for a long time to keep that continuity and build the program. 

Helfrich in hiring Pellum did nothing wrong, he did the Oregon thing, he hired from within. On that promotion he gets a bye because he did the Oregon thing, promote the long time internal guy to replace the longtime DC. 

Helfrich failed on his hire from outside the program in Hoke and that really did him in. 

With Cristobal there was probably too much movement in coaches and not enough continuity. Yes, Bama can pull that stuff off but then again working at Bama I'd Nick Saban's Coaching Rehabilitation Center... He gets the best and brightest in the industry because he can relaunch their coaching career after 3-4 years (in some cases less time). 

Cristobal didn't keep a coordinator longer than two seasons... And even if he had stayed that trend was continuing. Arroyo 2 years then onto Moorhead for 2 years then... Whoever next... I guess we will get a chance go see who Oregon's next OC would be in the coming weeks when he makes the hire at Miami. 

Same goes for DC... 1 year Leavitt ... 2 years Arroyo... 1 year DeRuyter (only because TDR isn't following to Miami). 

There is a happy medium where coaches and players get to develop their guys and build their system. 

I think Lanning will have a solid defense and can weather a bit of defensive coaching turnover because the defense will be his scheme.

Cristobal never had his own scheme on either side of the ball... Only his physicality philosophy. Schemes were somewhat stunted in their growth by this philosophy at times. 

If the offense is good under Dillingham I think we have Dilly around for a good 4 years... Dilly is 31 right now so if he mirrors Lanning and gets a good HC job at 35 that's four years at Oregon... If not longer. 

There are other coaches with a bit less experience and notoriety so they might be around longer ... And there are some who might only want to settle in and be good position coaches rather than move up the ranks. So who knows how long some of these coaches will be around. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Longevity only works when you are winning.

This was Utah's first Rose Bowl. Let them keep their consistency.

We need good coaching, period. I hope this new crew gets it done. 

Every new hire has been on winning programs and shares the recognition of the value of good recruiting.

I believe the hire of Dan Lanning will be very successful for Oregon. If he is, he and his staff will get other offers. And life will go on.

Longevity is great only when it's mutual for both parties.

I am grateful for Cristobal, and even more grateful Oregon got paid for his leaving.

We are about to soar to new heights and we will have so much fun reading about the new defense and offense right here at Fishduck!

• Thumbs Up 2