Charles Fischer

Unbelievable New Riddell Axiom Helmet Being Announced

This is pretty incredible, and I cannot help but wonder if there could be a ton of maintenance issues with so many moving parts?

Riddell’s Axiom Could be Breakthrough Helmet for Football by Barry Wilner of the Associated Press

Riddell_Red_Manny_RB.jpg?w=500

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

AMEN. This could be a game changer that returns more kids to playing junior and HS football. The military has been working on 'this' for over a decade. This will make the game safer until nano-tech arrives and virtually eliminates all head injuries and CTE.

Maintenance and equipment managers are a small price to pay, literally, for improvements on safety technology and allowing football to remain as a sport. So much money in football already and schools are on the hook for athlete's medical bills for a period of time after they leave the school so this is something that if it works and works well would be a great financial decision and a great health decision.

That is a great combo for everyone. 

A good buddy of my brother designed and built the scanners. Guess its been in the works for about 4 years. He said its been a slow process that was also hampered by cv19. I told my brother to send him a huge thanks. This could be a game changer for the future of this great game.

• Thumbs Up 1

The cost per player seems a bit off the charts for some schools, parents. If each kid needs a custom helmet at close to $1k is that going to be a barrier to some of the kids, football needs. A great step, but is it going to be adopted at the junior level?

It is nice to see another step being taken, and hopefully we will see more.

Footballs first body protection was the leather helmet then came foam type shoulder, hip and knee pads. Then the hard shell helmet was introduced. A few years after the other pads followed suit. All those hard surfaces aren't that great for the brain.

I don't see why the shoulder, hip and knee pads can't go back to a foam type of pad. You would think that a helmet  could be designed along with that same principle in mind.  Motor vehicles need that hard surface  type protection. But not the brain. It just seems that the new designs that start with that hard shell outer surface  just makes it more complicated.  

I'm sure my thoughts aren't original but what , pray tell, am I missing ?

On 1/5/2022 at 1:01 PM, Charles Fischer said:

This is pretty incredible, and I cannot help but wonder if there could be a ton of maintenance issues with so many moving parts?

Riddell’s Axiom Could be Breakthrough Helmet for Football by Barry Wilner of the Associated Press

Riddell_Red_Manny_RB.jpg?w=500

Honestly it's about time. Also this is a violent sport and I'm really curious if they would ever be able to stop head injuries and I just don't think it's possible. Your neck or spinal column is very fragile so it's not just the head with the injuries that cause concussions. It will be nice if they can because of the money they spend that should be number one on their list always. Hopefully it puts concussions way down but I just don't see it stopping them completely. Especially when they hit with their head the crown and I know there not supposed to but it still happens.