Haywarduck

One Thing Stetson Bennett Said,

"Keep your mouth shut. Work hard. Life is tough. Work through it."

I just hope more student athletes learn this lesson type of lesson as they work through the Oregon program. The lessons you learn from adversity are invaluable.

With the portal and NIL money I wonder if working through tough situations is becoming rarer in college football. I suppose those who go into the portal without a plan are going to see life is hard.

It does seem most successful programs have a tough situation they are working through. Utah was on a mission, incredible adversity. I can see Utah as still playing with a chip on their shoulder, a purpose next season.

Stetson was definitely one of the engines who drove Georgia. What will it be for Oregon? Which uniform to wear next week certainly isn't a driving force.

• Thumbs Up 4

I don’t know where Mr Bennett has worked in his life but place that has distractions, unnecessary hardship, or doesn’t pay their employees fail to produce the best results.  The only reason the NCAA works is a cartel that would be legal under any other circumstance not named DeBeers.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/14/2022 at 7:04 AM, Pocketchange said:

I don’t know where Mr Bennett has worked in his life but place that has distractions, unnecessary hardship, or doesn’t pay their employees fail to produce the best results.  The only reason the NCAA works is a cartel that would be legal under any other circumstance not named DeBeers.

I disagree.

Football is all about working through distractions, just like my life is everyday. Many would look at what I deal with everyday as unnecessary hardships, but it is my job to try and mitigate that adversity. Like football players I could look at my pay as inadiquate, but I just work harder, and give more to my craft.

In the end I live a very full life, which I am grateful for. Nothing has come easy, at least that was worth it. There are plenty of legal cartel type businesses where I live. Life isn't fair, and like Stetson said, you work through it. I hope our football team has his attitude. Those with that attitude will have the best results.

Those with distractions, hardships, and are intrinsically motivated create amazing results. Those who live a distraction, adversity free life where money is easy often meet hardship, distractions and need motivation they just can't find.

Thanks for the discussion, great stuff.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just because there are obstacles to overcome doesn't mean that you are being oppressed. Nearly every individual that attains success failed multiple times during that process. Winners and true leaders know what it's like to lose and learn to not repeat those mistakes.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Throughout the years we've all heard players voice their versions of the "Win one for the Gipper" speech, and recount how a group of players would in no way let down their beloved coach.  

I think a team can clearly rally around a player in a very similar manner.  Bennett's teammates know his story, see how hard he's had to grind to be football relevant, and I'm pretty sure this kid put his badge of courage on display on the daily to earn his position as starting QB.  

I recall thinking the embraces Stetson received following the Natty seemed more sincere than the typical "we did it, bro" hug.  Teammates and coaches actually seemed to smile a little more and squeeze him a little tighter.  Perhaps it was Stetson who wouldn't let go, maybe it was that his frame looked so diminutive in the arms of GA's over-sized lineman, or just perhaps an extended embrace was Stetson's peers way of saying, "You did it.  You scrawny, no-business-being-here, cup runneth over with moxy and determination son-of-a-gun.  You did it".  

Bottom line is that those who can overcome the odds albeit physical, logistical, financial...whatever, have a tendency to lift those in their immediate peer group.  Stetson's will-power was definitely a solid, integral link in the chain of the Bulldogs season. 

Raise your glass - Here's to hoping we have few players on our team that have the same resolve as Stetson Bennett.

• Thumbs Up 4

Willpower can make up for a lack of power in many other areas, for sure!

"Sure you can, you just have to believe in yourself!"

- My neighbor teaching her kid to ride a bike

The easiest thing to do in life if you fail is to blame someone or something else; usually, 'the establishment.'

Bennett went from a barely recruited 3*, a guy who had to take a side trip to JC, to a title winning QB. This, notwithstanding he will not be a high NFL draft pick.

He bet on himself. Had the guts to see it through and in the rough patch times, worked harder. 

BTW, the NCAA cartel referenced above, with NIL and wide open free agency the cartel is gone. 

• Thumbs Up 1