Jon Joseph

Lincoln Riley ROI

USC 'spent' close to $100M (GULP) to secure the services of Lincoln Riley. 2 Pac-12 schools are stepping up with the $ to compete at the highest level of CFB. The Ducks and the Trojans. Also, hats off to WSU for coming up with a 'Pullman' NIL deal to secure the services of Incarnate Word QB, Cameron Williams

RILEY TO DATE: Signed No. 2 CB Jackson, No. RB Brown, No. 6 safety Branch; No. 11 WR CJ Williams.

Portal - Signed 2 starting-caliber WRs Mario Williams from OK and Terrell Bynum from UW. Also signed UVA starting left tackle, 2nd team all-ACC, Bobby Haskins.

CJ Williams signing with SC is a good sign that QB Caleb Williams will end up at SC. 

Oregon no longer has Clay Helton to kick around when recruiting SoCal guys.  

In deciding not to expand, the conference could really use a top 10 Oregon playing a top 10 SC in the champ game. And at least 2 teams playing in NY6 bowls if not in the playoff, that will stay at 4 teams  until 2026 because basketball conference ACC vetoed CFB playoff expansion before 2026.

BTW: If Jaxson Dart follows former SC OC  Graham Harrell to West Virginia, he will likely be the starter at QB when W VA opens against Pitt and SC transfer QB Kedon Slovis in 2022.

Jon, you make an excellent point that Oregon and USC need to be top ranked teams playing for P-12 Championship. Winner to CFP, loser to NY6 Bowl. Stop losing to teams you should beat and win your OOC games. True ROI only happens with a Natty.

When Coach Lanning and staff guide these talented players to a CFP appearance then Oregon will be paying in the multi year $100 million figure to keep Coach Lanning. Who knows where that dollar amount goes for a National Championship Trophy. It will be a bidding war for certain. Can't wait.........

• Thumbs Up 1

Riley is 1&3 in Bowl results after inheriting solid players. He lost to both OSU & Baylor this year too which should not have happened.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/16/2022 at 3:28 PM, Duckhart said:

Riley is 1&3 in Bowl results after inheriting solid players. He lost to both OSU & Baylor this year too which should not have happened.

Good call but it took UGA 2 OTs to beat him and he was up against darn good competition in the other 2 playoff games. Baylor finished No. 5 and OK ST No. 7. OK finished at No. 10.

Played against more difficult comp in the B12 than in the Pac-12.

Edited by Jon Joseph

I would say the real R on this I comes only with (R)esults on the field.

• Thumbs Up 1

Never been sold that Riley is the second coming of Pete. Many are falling all over themselves over this hire. It just might not be the best coaching hire in the Pac.

I like the Oregon hire a lot. Fusky and Cougs might have gotten it right also. See how it plays out. My money is on Lanning. 

Both coaches will have to be at the top of their respective games. And I mean all aspects of the coaching profession. I agree with Duckhart that Rileys bowl record and 2020 conference losses can't be ignored. No matter the level of opponents. Rileys defenses leave alot to be desired. Its one thing to inherit a P-5 Conference championship team.. It's another thing to build one.. He has work to do........

The Ducks lost to Iowa State, Utah twice and Oklahoma. As a fan I was concerned about our former HC 's ability in big games. 

Coach Lanning brings the bona fides that he can recruit and build a Natty Champion defense. Now can he build a staff and develop the players on both sides of the ball. He also has alot of work to do............

Utah has built a Championship Culture which is good. But the future of national relevance for the PAC lies with Oregon and USC. Here's to both young coaches and their absolute success.  And remember the rest of the PAC members are waiting on their share of that future.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/16/2022 at 4:41 PM, Log Haulin said:

Never been sold that Riley is the second coming of Pete. Many are falling all over themselves over this hire. It just might not be the best coaching hire in the Pac.

I like the Oregon hire a lot. Fusky and Cougs might have gotten it right also. See how it plays out. My money is on Lanning. 

Sure hope you are right my friend.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/16/2022 at 4:46 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Both coaches will have to be at the top of their respective games. And I mean all aspects of the coaching profession. I agree with Duckhart that Rileys bowl record and 2020 conference losses can't be ignored. No matter the level of opponents. Rileys defenses leave alot to be desired. Its one thing to inherit a P-5 Conference championship team.. It's another thing to build one.. He has work to do........

The Ducks lost to Iowa State, Utah twice and Oklahoma. As a fan I was concerned about our former HC 's ability in big games. 

Coach Lanning brings the bona fides that he can recruit and build a Natty Champion defense. Now can he build a staff and develop the players on both sides of the ball. He also has alot of work to do............

Utah has built a Championship Culture which is good. But the future of national relevance for the PAC lies with Oregon and USC. Here's to both young coaches and their absolute success.  And remember the rest of the PAC members are waiting on their share of that future.

Missed the L on The Farm?

Great comment. Grinch in the Pac-12 at WSU was a darn good DC. Shared the job with Schiano at Ohio State before moving to OK and significantly improving the Sooners D.  Not to playoff championship level but to the point where until this season, OK won the B12 and made the playoff.

I think Riley made a good move bringing Grinch to LA with him. 

Speaking of WSU, why did Hurts start vs Tampa instead of the Stache? And as to 'my' Patriots? The Bills put the freeze on the Pats. Wonder if the Pats QB from Bama had ever played in weather like that? 

Honestly Riley has won 0 NCs at Oklahoma, arguably just as much if not more of a blue blood than SC. I think SC is in better shape now with Riley than they were with Helton, but I'm not sold on him making them world beaters. But I do think it will help the PAC 12 for him to be there. From Oregon's point of view, California is still a ripe recruiting area, but the competition for Cali players just got tougher. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. 

• Thumbs Up 1