Charles Fischer

BIG Changes to the Forum: Learn About Automated Changes to YOUR POSTS!

Hello My FishDuck Friends,

Have you ever noticed how when you published your reply you had a large space on the bottom, and now it is gone?  Or you had seven straight lines of text, and now it is neatly spaced and easy to read?  Or had line-after-line of one sentence paragraphs that are now bunched into paragraphs?

That was not an automatic function happening, as I was editing your post.  I estimate I've edited at least 200 posts over time, and I suspect that number is much higher.  It only takes a few seconds, and since people would not do it...

Why Would I Do That?

It is all about the reading experience, as I want this forum to be the easiest to read anywhere.  Part of that is removing the Trolls, but it is also in how posts are aligned.

--When there are huge spaces at the bottom of a post...this means that everyone has to scroll longer to get to a new post.  Very many of those "big-bottom" posts extends a thread a long way, and people don't like scrolling that much.

--When we have more than three straight lines of text...it is hard to read.  Studies of web behavior show that when it is continuous text without reading/paragraph spaces--people just skip it and don't read your post.

--When people write more than four straight one-sentence paragraphs--that also becomes hard to read and the readers will check out after four or five lines or skip the entire post. Bunching the sentences into paragraphs makes it easier to read for everyone.

We are Working on Automating it For You...

You may have noticed how the posts are starting to look different, and this is evidence of the Web Developer working on the code to incorporate what I want into the posts automatically, since people are reluctant to change, and I don't want to do post editing the rest of my life.

You will see us working on this over the next week, and some changes are there already.  I am open to feedback, and that can occur in the replies here or email charles@fishduck.com if you have some extreme negative.

This is ALL About Making it Easier for Everyone to Read Posts

No other board has rules as we do, (The Forum with Decorum) and the results have been wonderful.  I often have to strain my eyes when reading at other forums at how the sentences or posts are aligned, and found myself skipping posts where it is too hard, or frankly takes any effort at all.  And what I just described is the current web behavior....

So I wish to break new ground because we have thousands of people who come in here...simply to read the news and the posts that comment on the news.  I am taking into account documented web behavior and human nature to attempt an automated process that happens naturally after you publish a post.

Please be patient with the changes, and know that I am going to great trouble and expense for the benefit of everyone.

My thanks,

Charles

Bear with me as we are all weird in our own way...

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Easier to read is always welcome!  Thank you Charles!

Got it

I just have to learn how to not forget to put in the post all the words I meant to post.

Are you making this like Prettier?  I thought I was Already Pretty.  Pretty Awesome!  Thanks for cleaning me up for the public;  )

Awesome!  Thanks Charles!

Thanks Charles. Some of us, especially moi, need the help. BTW: Is that a cat or a Golden Gopher?

Edited by Jon Joseph

Will it make my comments any more intelligent?

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2022 at 4:39 PM, jrw said:

Will it make my comments any more intelligent?

If it works the way I hope...it will make us all appear more intelligent than this Beaver fan...

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

I like all of the changes except for one. It seems the default font size is now smaller which makes the comments more difficult to read. My vote is for a slightly larger font size. Otherwise, this remains the best forum on the planet.

On 1/17/2022 at 9:14 AM, latracey said:

I like all of the changes except for one. It seems the default font size is now smaller which makes the comments more difficult to read. My vote is for a slightly larger font size. Otherwise, this remains the best forum on the planet.

I noticed that it was different as well.  I think the font style is different, and I hope to learn more today in an online meeting..

Mr. FishDuck