Charles Fischer

Boy...the NFL Sure Has it Figured Out...

Going into the final week--it seemed that MOST of the league still had a chance at the Playoffs, and as it is....isn't nearly a third of the teams IN the Playoffs when you count the Wild-Cards?  That would point to a 32 team playoff if CFB were to adopt a similar percentage.

Rarely can an NFL franchise stay on top forever as Alabama has, because they have built parity into the system.  And yes, it is primarily a passing league, but it is still very entertaining.  A team that was 3-5 during the season got hot to make the Playoffs and beat a highly regarded team last night.

I do not like all that the NFL has done or represents, but I have to salute them for the exciting product they have created.

It was fun to see Arik Armstead get a sack last night.

49ers coach reveals Arik Armstead interrupted date night to ask questions  while studying film | Fox News

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

17 game regular season and then the playoffs with only 2 teams receiving a 1st round bye. That's a load.

Interesting that most of the 'wild card' opening games resembled the blow outs we so often see in the CFB playoff semi-finals.

Hats off to the AA and the 49ers. The 49ers came on at the right time in the season. Hats off also to Joe Burrow and the Bengals breaking a long time playoff losing streak.

Wouldn't it be nice to have Bama come north for a playoff game and play in the weather former Tide QB played in Friday night in Buffalo?

CFB? Looks more and more like 4 more season's with a 4 team playoff field?

The ACC best be careful or it could see Notre Dame, UVA, UNC and Miami in the B1G and Clemson and FSU in the SEC.

I like the regular season meaning something.  As much as I dislike the Patriots, when they went 16-0 in the regular season and ending up losing to the Giants in the SB, I thought it was a let down.  I personally don't like "bad" teams getting hot.  Example, UCLA last year during their NCAA run.

I do however think the CFB should expand. 

I think nearly every professional league has too many playoff teams.

NBA 20/30 make the playoffs 66%

MLS 14/27 make the playoffs 51.8%

NHL 16/32 make the payoffs 50%

NFL 14/32 make the playoffs 43.8%

MLB 10/30 make the playoffs 33

NCAA basketball 68/353 make the playoffs 19.26%

CFB 4/125 make the playoffs 3.2%

12 would still leave the percentage of teams under 10%, I guess 12 isn't really all that many.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/17/2022 at 3:25 PM, Tandaian said:

I like the regular season meaning something.  As much as I dislike the Patriots, when they went 16-0 in the regular season and ending up losing to the Giants in the SB, I thought it was a let down.  I personally don't like "bad" teams getting hot.  Example, UCLA last year during their NCAA run.

12 would still leave the percentage of teams under 10%, I guess 12 isn't really all that many.

Great post. If expansion happens it does not look like it will happen before 2026. To call this BCS x 2 a 'playoff' is absurd.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, the NFL has done a great job creating a parity in the league that nearly every year, a team not in the Playoffs will take the place of a team that was in them next season. There are not 4 teams that you can automatically say will be in the conference finals, last season, Tampa Bay had to win all their playoff games on the road to get to the Super Bowl.

Parity only goes so far of course; the Detroit Lions have been in the league for a long time, and have never played in the Super Bowl, I don't think they've even made it to a conference final. The Chargers had a chance, and proved that every game does mean something by losing, at home to then 3-12 Houston!!!

On 1/17/2022 at 11:23 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Going into the final week--it seemed that MOST of the league still had a chance at the Playoffs, and as it is....isn't nearly a third of the teams IN the Playoffs when you count the Wild-Cards?  That would point to a 32 team playoff if CFB were to adopt a similar percentage.

Rarely can an NFL franchise stay on top forever as Alabama has, because they have built parity into the system.  And yes, it is primarily a passing league, but it is still very entertaining.  A team that was 3-5 during the season got hot to make the Playoffs and beat a highly regarded team last night.

I do not like all that the NFL has done or represents, but I have to salute them for the exciting product they have created.

It was fun to see Arik Armstead get a sack last night.

49ers coach reveals Arik Armstead interrupted date night to ask questions  while studying film | Fox News

Yes I've been a little harsh on Arik the last couple seasons. When Buckner got traded for a 13th pick I was not happy because he did so much for the Niners and Armstead to me wasn't even a close 2nd. I still think they should have kept Buckner because the guy they drafted for that pick hasn't done nothing except be off the field with an injury. I have to give credit though to Eric especially that two sacks in hello and glad your working your tail off for the Niners. Next Green Bay and hopefully Jimmy G doesn't muck it up.

• Thumbs Up 1

The NFL has it figured out this year... next year different story. But it is always nice to have a truly competitive year, especially in pro sports.

Now if only the NBA can figure things out. You can pretty much determine the final 4 by the end of the year due to statistics alone. The playoff for the NBA feels more like a formality than an actual playoff.

The NFL has the right thing going for their playoff. Dare I say one of the few playoffs that is formatted better than College equivalent? Yes... I dare say it.

On 1/17/2022 at 12:25 PM, Tandaian said:

I used to feel this way too, but pro sports really is just entertainment. And the playoffs are the most entertaining. 

I think adding the wildcard to baseball was one of the best things ever, same with football. It makes games matter at the end of a season for a lot more teams. That's entertaining for a lot more fans.

The ACC has doubled down on their poor decision making; signing a media deal for too long, and now nixing the early playoff expansion. This will cost them.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/17/2022 at 12:25 PM, Tandaian said:

This isn't going to be popular, but here's my take:

For all intensive purposes, November is the start of the playoffs.  Eight to Ten teams are fighting for those four spots, so it already is a "thirty two to sixty four team field" since the month runs four weeks.  

The conference title games act as the quarterfinals per se.  AND EVERYBODY PAYS ATTENTION TO COLLEGE FOOTBALL ALL MONTH.  

Now teams like Wake Forest have to go undefeated mostly.  But let's be real, expansion allows them to be mediocre and reach the playoffs.  Then get dissected on national TV instead of the ACC channel all year.  

If Wake Forest is worthy now, they have to go undefeated, which is difficult even with a lame schedule ( just and Norte Dame).  

The best argument for expansion is the players stay for games that matter.  

Frankly, watching Cincinnati lose to the weakest number one seed in years was irritating.  I did make a small fortune though

(another reason for expansion perhaps).  

The only other argument I see is your team can lose four games and still have the priceless shot of getting annihilated in the playoffs ( let's be real here, Cincinnati exposed there will be no Cinderella in football, because the money schools are going to hog the talent).  

College Football is going to mimic Major League Baseball if they don't regulate NIL effectively.  

Where is Obi Wan Kenobi when you need him?

I do like four to eight teams though.  Unless they really put the best twelve in the tournament.  Fairness doesn't equal excellence after all. 

On 1/17/2022 at 8:31 PM, Mike West said:

This isn't going to be popular, but here's my take:

For all intensive purposes, November is the start of the playoffs.  Eight to Ten teams are fighting for those four spots, so it already is a "thirty two to sixty four team field" since the month runs four weeks.  

The conference title games act as the quarterfinals per se.  AND EVERYBODY PAYS ATTENTION TO COLLEGE FOOTBALL ALL MONTH.  

Now teams like Wake Forest have to go undefeated mostly.  But let's be real, expansion allows them to be mediocre and reach the playoffs.  Then get dissected on national TV instead of the ACC channel all year.  

If Wake Forest is worthy now, they have to go undefeated, which is difficult even with a lame schedule ( just and Norte Dame).  

The best argument for expansion is the players stay for games that matter.  

Frankly, watching Cincinnati lose to the weakest number one seed in years was irritating.  I did make a small fortune though

(another reason for expansion perhaps).  

The only other argument I see is your team can lose four games and still have the priceless shot of getting annihilated in the playoffs ( let's be real here, Cincinnati exposed there will be no Cinderella in football, because the money schools are going to hog the talent).  

College Football is going to mimic Major League Baseball if they don't regulate NIL effectively.  

Where is Obi Wan Kenobi when you need him?

I do like four to eight teams though.  Unless they really put the best twelve in the tournament.  Fairness doesn't equal excellence after all. 

Is that you Princess Leah? KIDDING!

I agree with much that you have to say. Frankly, I'd prefer the playoff end in 2025. You simply cannot balance the talent or the scheduling in CFB unless there is a move to one marquee super league with a single commissioner. Compare Oregon's OOC schedule in 2020 with that of UCLA. Bama plays at Texas next season, a team that wasn't bowl eligible in 2021 and then Bama plays 3 stiffs OOC.

Was having co-champions on occasion in CFB that big of a deal? I don't think so.

Get your take on Cincy. Michigan wasn't a bad football team and like Bama smothered Cincy, UGA smothered Michigan. Check out the roster rankings. The results should surprise no one. How does expanding to 12 teams help the Pac-12? 1 team Utah, would have qualified and would have been on the road in the first round versus a higher ranked team. Utes take the 1st round L and say goodbye to the Rose Bowl game versus Ohio State. 

The so-called playoff IMO has helped 'wreck' CFB. It has helped produce a dominating media cartel and resulted, like Roy Kramer planned it back when, with the top talent ending up on 4 to 5 teams in the SEC and Clemson and Ohio State. It turned the game from a regional game with games played in the daylight to a multi-billion dollar out-of-control unregulated monstrosity with games played late at night.

I'd be more than happy to take back the Rose Bowl. The Rose Bowl game this season was the best NY6 game far and away. Happy to see the Pac-12 champ play the B1G champ on 1/1, whether they are the top 2 teams in CFB or not. I'm not certain that the B1G is that enthralled with playoff expansion. I know that at this time the ACC is definitely not in favor of adding extra games.

Imbalance is nothing new in CFB. Look at run Oklahoma had. The run Nebraska had. The run Carroll had. The run Saban is having at Bama. CFB has always been dominated by a few teams.

Who needs people just telling us it means more when and where they play. Chuck the SEC and the playoff and I'd be more than happy. Is the game worth the candle? I am looking forward to Lanning but to expect him to put together a roster like the one UGA had this season? Sign a class like the one that A+M just paid $70M to sign? Is this what we want?

A return to The Run For The Roses would be fine with me. And let's not forget that underdog Pac-12 teams often upset higher ranked B1G teams in the Rose Bowl. 

Let the $EC play in its own $andbox. Because as currently positioned, the Pac-12 will not win a playoff championship and will likely never have more than 2 teams in a 12 team field. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1