cartm25

ANALYSIS: Cristobal's Offense Compared to Prior Ducks' Coaches (Kelly through Taggart)

image.thumb.png.210ba2fa2bbf56f75e22aff0295585fb.png

Some thoughts and observations:

- Look at all the RED for Cristobal. While recruiting the most/best talent to UO we've ever seen, he managed to underperform his predecessors' offensive production.

- I know we don't speak highly of Willie T, but his offense in 2017 (a year when Herbert missed 5 games) managed to match or outperform every one of Cristobal's.

- Man!! If only Helfrich could have figured out the recruiting/leadership/defense side of things, because, WOW! he could coach an offense. There's a lot of GREEN in his years, left to right. Perhaps benefited most from Mariota?

- One more Helfrich shoutout: The offense from the year that got him fired was better than any under Cristobal.

- So much GREEN in the Kelly/Helfrich years. Hoping the future is bright "GREEN" with Lanning & Co.

• Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Well, every one of your bullet points are items I've written about in the past and it is great to see it graph form.  A perfect combo?  Helfrich coaching the offense and Lanning on the defense?

Your observations about Willie are not only accurate, but I'll take it one further; when Herbert played in a game in 2017 (He was injured for many) the Oregon/Taggart offense averaged nearly 50 points per game.  Cristobal had TWO high scoring offenses within the institutional knowledge of Oregon; the Oregon Spread of Bellotti/Chip/Helfrich and the Gulf Coast Offense of Taggart.

Dumping them both is the worst management decision I've ever seen in my life.

• Thumbs Up 6

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/24/2022 at 8:44 PM, cartm25 said:

I hope this didn’t come across as stealing your thunder. Your articles are what inspired me to arrange it this way in graphic form. Really just confirms everything you’ve said.

It’s astounding how poorly the offense did with the talent MC recruited. I would love to see the Lanning/Helfrich combo.

Not at all; what I wrote is while back and I love further confirmation of it.  When you consider the level of hate toward me at other sites because I would suggest this over the last four years, and now the proof is out there?  Since most of us, (and I) are only 50% correct ultimately in our many of our assertions--it is nice to be right on occasion.

I appreciate your work and THANKS.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Great graphical representation of how quickly and effectively mc throttled the offense to mediocrity...and then you nailed the key takeaways with your bullet points.  

I've never been to jail but I imagine the feeling of getting paroled must be similar to what I'm feeling now that miami has a new coach.

• Haha 2

i am surprised but not surprised to see how bad MC’s rushing numbers were considering how much emphasis he put on offensive line play. i could see it on the field but somehow believed we were better than what I saw. 

On 1/24/2022 at 8:35 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Dumping them both is the worst management decision I've ever seen in my life.

I am pretty sure most were around for this one. Economists have studied it for decades. The amount of mismanagement, and just incompetence was astounding. Like the leader at the time of new coke, Mario was able to move onward and forward from his mismanagement too. Mario went elsewhere to take his formula, and we are all grateful.

Fortunately for Coke they went back to the original formula. Hopefully Oregon will go back to our formula too with new management. The original is always the best, especially when it worked the first time!

Unknown.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

You know, my adult son made a comment a year into Cristobal's tenure.  He said, "I won't like watching the ducks until they get rid of that coach"

We had many discussions about that comment because I had bought into the hard nose attitude that Cristobal projected. 

My son would say "Where's the passing game?  Yeah, they are trying to establish a run game but slamming it into the line will eventually stop working.  Where is the originality, the explosive plays?  Dad, they are boring...."

He grew up playing football, QB in high school, Duck fan since he could walk, and watched Dixon, Masoli, Mariota, etc.  Now, seeing your graph, he was right....I need to be sure to tell him!  

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

Great work on the stats cartm25!

Lesson learned?  Don’t hire a truck driver to race your Ferrari.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1