FishDuck Article

The Tight End Position in the Kenny Dillingham Offense

Coach Kenny Dillingham, like his mentor, will look to heavily utilize the Tight End position in the new Oregon Ducks offense. Not only did he learn how to effectively utilize the position under Coach Mike Norvell, but Coach Gus Malzahn used his in a very similar fashion during Dillingham’s stint as the Auburn Tigers OC. In both offenses, which Coach ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I have been an advocate of using the Tight End more for a long time. The NFL seems to understand the matchup problems a good Tight End creates. It is nice to know our new coaching team may recognize the same opportunities. I don't think there is a position with so many scholarship players on the team so underutilized as the Tight End position. It is time to release the beasts!

A qb who is a threat to run stretches the defense and so does a team which uses their Tight Ends as offensive weapons. I look for, once again, an unpredictable offensive scheme which takes advantage of what the defense expects or is in position to shut down. Gone should be the days where Oregon's offense was about lining up and trying to win a predictable battle. I love writing that, and will be extremely excited to see this happen, once again!

• Thumbs Up 8

Never could understand why MC didn’t use his tight ends more. The talent at TE has been better than average during the last four years and we have young and talented kids on this roster. Let’s use them.

• Thumbs Up 3

TE plays have been mundane and limited. Our TE room is stacked and mature. Like Coach Boles, I want to see how Dillingham uses them in 2022.

Go Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 2

I love how the H-Back set will help the counters and power plays, as we have a couple of TEs who are good blockers!  (and receivers!)  Thanks Coach Boles!

DJ Johnson_Tom Corno.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

The ability to use 12 personnel in various positions coupled with up tempo prevents defenses from situational substituting. 

Stress is put on the defense as they adjust their call to account for the new formation.

Then mismatches are created.  Advantage Offense!  A major improvement in offense from the previous 4 years.

Tight Ends are big multi-talented athletes.  Thanks for researching and sharing this article Coach Eric!

• Thumbs Up 1

Now, if we could only convince a TE from Napa, CA., to stay west and play for the Ducks. Guy by the name of Bowers who lit it up at Georgia his frosh season. I wonder how many Pac-12 teams offered this young man? Bowers is a perfect example of a guy the Pac-12 cannot allow to escape the Pac-12 footprint. Tough to do when assuming the young man in HS watched ESPN, the SEC Network, the Paul Finebaum show and the SEC Game of the week kicking off at 3:30 PM on the east coast, compared to a Pac-12 game kicking off at 10:30 on a broke, hard to access network.

Thanks again Coach for another very insightful article. Glad you mentioned Malzahn. Scuffling him off to UCF and replacing him with a coach from the Mountain West is not working out all that well. Texas and Auburn, IMO, have the 2 most unrealistic boosters/fan bases in the country; UW folks are not that far behind.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks, Coach, for another enlightening article. As a guy who considers himself a lifelong learner, I really appreciate it when guys in the know--like you--"school me."  😉

• Thumbs Up 2

Still can’t get out of my head the way Stanford used tight ends to make our life and everybody else’s life in the pack miserable. 3 tight end sets were common. Very hard to defend.

• Thumbs Up 5

Being national signing day and a discussion about the TE position, anyone else drool over the possibility of Franck Kepnang bringing his enthusiasm and athleticism to the football field. 'Now entering the field on third and goal on the 2 yard line at 6' 11" Franck Kepnang.' The opposing teams head coach runs down the sideline screaming 'timeout!'

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I am pretty biased, but when I see Franck's aggressiveness....I cannot help but wonder about him as an NFL Tight End who has more weight on him.  He would enjoy blocking, and has enough skills to catch.

Frank Kepnang2_GoDucks.com.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/2/2022 at 12:17 PM, Haywarduck said:

Being national signing day and a discussion about the TE position, anyone else drool over the possibility of Franck Kepnang bringing his enthusiasm and athleticism to the football field. 'Now entering the field on third and goal on the 2 yard line at 6' 11" Franck Kepnang.' The opposing teams head coach runs down the sideline screaming 'timeout!'

I have little doubt that Franck couldn't do it. He is an athlete extraordinaire. We will see him flourish if Coach Altman turns him loose and exorts him to create mayhem. Can you imagine Franck high pointing over a 5'10" CB?

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 9:30 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I am pretty biased, but when I see Franck's aggressiveness....I cannot help but wonder about him as an NFL Tight End who has more weight on him.  He would enjoy blocking, and has enough skills to catch.

Frank Kepnang2_GoDucks.com.jpg

Exactly, much when I saw Jordan Kent running down the basket ball court, he was just too fast. Franck may be able to learn to train his aggressive play, but he would just have to turn it loose on an end zone pass, and it would be over before it began.

Imagine Franck lining up to block a field goal, or even a punt. How would you like to be getting ready to punt and see Franck running towards you?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/2/2022 at 3:31 PM, 30Duck said:

Imagine Franck lining up to block a field goal, or even a punt. How would you like to be getting ready to punt and see Franck running towards you?

Franckly, that would be frightening! DUCK!

• Haha 4

On 2/2/2022 at 9:05 AM, Just Ducky said:

Still can’t get out of my head the way Stanford used tight ends to make our life and everybody else’s life in the pack miserable. 3 tight end sets were common. Very hard to defend.

Aaarrrrgh! Don't remind me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope Arlis Boardingham reads this article!!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/2/2022 at 9:42 AM, Haywarduck said:

I have been an advocate of using the Tight End more for a long time. The NFL seems to understand the matchup problems a good Tight End creates. It is nice to know our new coaching team may recognize the same opportunities. I don't think there is a position with so many scholarship players on the team so underutilized as the Tight End position. It is time to release the beasts!

A qb who is a threat to run stretches the defense and so does a team which uses their Tight Ends as offensive weapons. I look for, once again, an unpredictable offensive scheme which takes advantage of what the defense expects or is in position to shut down. Gone should be the days where Oregon's offense was about lining up and trying to win a predictable battle. I love writing that, and will be extremely excited to see this happen, once again!

I do really like the idea of the TE being used in multiple positions. It will allow the offense to get into different looks without having to sub. 

• Thumbs Up 1