Charles Fischer

One Grade of Ducks Recruiting Class: Deserved?

He makes some good points, but to get the grade he gave--we needed a boatload more 4 and 5-Star players than what we signed, IMHO.  Agree?

Oregon Football: Grading Dan Lanning’s 2022 Recruiting Class by Connor Muldownery of Autzen Zoo

4-star CB Jahlil Florence COMMITS to Oregon [Reveal + Instant Reaction] |  CBS Sports HQ - YouTube

Mr. FishDuck

Lanning definitely earned extra credit for doing so much in so little time for the 2022 recruiting class.  

But the grade is incomplete until two valued targets make decisions in the next month.

Based on where we are today, plus the extra credit, I believe B+ is the floor.  A or A+ are possible with one or two 5* signings.

QB - Incomplete? IMO the class has to be valued as a whole including transfers. I don't think bringing in a 3 year starter from the SEC, a guy with a win over Bama = Incomplete. But I agree with Charles, I do not believe the 25th ranked team in the country per 247, deserves an A-. I give Lanning et al an A for effort but No. 25 for a team with playoff ambitions is IMO, a C+ or B-. 

A fun exercise this,  but until any 'newbie' gets on the field and proves it, it is all just fun conjecture. All those 5 star guys A+M just signed. I wager at least one third of the guys will not pan out and finish their CFB playing years at A+M. At Oregon, some 2/3 star 'afterthought' will become a solid player.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

We also need to see some type of new grading system that includes transfers.

A need satisfied by a transfer is better than a freshman in most cases.

I think the portal is more Chip's style of recruiting, but the recruits will always be the main supplier so he needs to improve there. Not having many fans at games doesn't help. 

The grading system would also have to take into account what you have lost with transfers out, like how do you measure Travis Dye?

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I believe that the transfer portal gives you talent that has college experience.  The training, conditioning, strengthening that a majority of HS kids lack.  For some programs that need immediate help, depth, this is important in the short term.  It also allows for most recruits to be developed physically and mentally to a program.  Without having to throw them into the fire right away.

With the list of ALL the people who are on Schollie but not with the team when we went to the Alamo Bowl, have we figured out exactly what is the Status of our team.  Those injured/rehabs, not with team due to  Academics, Punishment, Personal?  Someone said we had used many walk ons to fill roles and depth.  I have not seen source.  The List before games was a reprint with not much change, even of those injured or that left the program, if I recall correctly.  

Maybe, someone, has info to give us better insight into our depth going into 2022 spring practice?

Tough one to compare or really grade and fairly contrast other situations. I suppose one could look at Jordan James, Jahlil Florence Justius Lowe and Dave Luli and pull some inferences from those recruiting battles. Number one Dan Lanning came late to the game in recruiting for the Ducks and did pretty well, but we need some perspective.

Mario was a continuation of slick so he wasn't starting from scratch while beginning his coaching stint at Oregon. This means simply comparing their first years isn't valid for comparing ratings straight across. One can look at how Lanning continued to do well in head to head against sc, much like Mario did, well done. He also gave us a focus on keeping Oregon kids home, also kudos. Both pretty impressive accomplishments from a guy who has been all the way across the country.

With Jordan James he showed he can bring talent across the country from his ties to Georgia. This isn't something we got out of Mario. He brought a few guys from Florida in 2019, but it wasn't like we hired a guy who brought the talent from the south. Coach Lanning seems to indicate he might be able to bring a little more talent from the south, it will be interesting to watch that. James was a guy all the top programs in the south recruited and wanted.

With Dave Luli Coach Lanning went head to head with Mario and did something he could never do. Mario couldn't break the Washington code for recruiting. Coach Lanning showed he could recruit to the north, well done. It seems Lanning has strengths Mario never showed. I think Lanning is showing he can get the guys he wants, with little impact on who else is recruiting, Mario included. I give him a solid A for the job he did. I think there is the potential to see an A+ soon with the signals I saw come through with this class. There is definitely more there than merely looking at numbers and simple math.