Jon Joseph

Stewart Mandell - Post "Late" Signing Day + Transfers to Date Revised2022 Pre-Season Rankings

1. Alabama

2. Ohio State

3. Georgia

4. Clemson (previously ranked eight)

5. Utah (4)

6. A+M (Mandel is not drinking the College Station Kool Aid as much as other pollsters)

7. Notre Dame (5)

8. Michigan State (10 - Lots of love for Jarek Broussard)

9. Michigan

10. NC State (14) 

11. Baylor (12)

12. Ole Miss ( NR - Dart and Trigg from SC help Lane's cause)

13. Pitt (11) 

14, Tennessee (13 - should be on probation and facing serious sanctions for pay-for-play program)

15. Oklahoma State (14 - Derek Mason is the Cowboys new DC)

16. Arkansas ((17) 

17. OREGON (16 - notes big hits to the RB room; likes the JJ steal from UGA)

18. Wake Forest (15)

19. Kentucky (210

20. USC (NR - Kudos for transfer pick ups)

21. Minnesota (18)

22. Cincinnati (20)

23. Houston (23 - looks like no G5 team is Stewart's Playoff)

24, Wisconsin (19)

25. LSU (NR)

Just Missed - BYU, Iowa, Oklahoma, K St, So Car.

IMO, Overrated - 5 SEC W teams in the top 25? Don't these teams have to play one another? A+M 6? A new starting QB and a bunch of newbies do not IMO = No. 6.  7. Notre Dame. A new QB, a new coach who gave up a big lead in the bowl game and opening at Ohio State. 8. Michigan State. I don't see that much improvement in the roster and MI ST plays at Michigan. I do see Sparty winning in Seattle OOC. 10. NC State - Huh? 14 Tennessee - I don't believe TN is the 2nd best team in the SEC E. Florida, Missouri, Kentucky and South Carolina will be tough games for a Vols team that also has Bama on the schedule.

IMO Underrated - 5. Utah - if the Utes win the opener in Gainesville against a NR, new HC, Gators team. The B12 - I think 11. Baylor, 15. OK ST and NR Oklahoma, K ST and Iowa State are all underrated. 13. PITT - I don't think Slovis is as skilled as was Pickett.  17. OREGON - At UGA is a witch, BYU will not be easy, but the Pac-12 conference is still down and the Ducks get UCLA and Utah at home and miss SC. I do not think that Nix is being given enough props? I think opponents will see a far more resilient and ready to play ball team in 2022 than they faced under Mario. 

MIA - Miami and Florida State. (Will Mario be the next Slick?) Note that 6 of the top 10 teams play 8 conference games and Notre Dame does not play a 13th champ game. But it's an even path to the CFB playoff, right?

Remember - The Portal is still wide open for business. A team can have 92 players on scholarship this season depending on the numbers that transferred out.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Is the Portal only open for a set period time? Is it just for football or other sports?

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 12:49 PM, FamilyofDucks said:

Is the Portal only open for a set period time? Is it just for football or other sports?

I believe 24/7 all sports.  But some sports are so limited in scholarships, that only partials are given to most recruits.  

On 2/4/2022 at 12:49 PM, FamilyofDucks said:

There really isn't a "closing" date but May 1st is the deadline for transfers in Football to be eligible to play come the fall. However, if players are cool with sitting out a season completely then they can transfer at any time. 

There will be a flurry of action in the transfer portal in April but expect it to quiet down until Fall camp when there will be another flurry of activity as players abandon their teams to transfer and sit out the season in the hopes of starting with their new team next year. 

On 2/4/2022 at 3:49 PM, FamilyofDucks said:

It's open at any time for all sports (the five restricted losing time sports are no longer restricted) subject to available scholarships. I think you will see a lot more guys head to the portal after spring practice.

On 2/4/2022 at 4:03 PM, David Marsh said:

There really isn't a "closing" date but May 1st is the deadline for transfers in Football to be eligible to play come the fall. However, if players are cool with sitting out a season completely then they can transfer at any time. 

There will be a flurry of action in the transfer portal in April but expect it to quiet down until Fall camp when there will be another flurry of activity as players abandon their teams to transfer and sit out the season in the hopes of starting with their new team next year. 

Good call on May 1 but this may vary depending on a given school's semester and enrollment system? Schools on a different semester system could allow for admission after spring practice but prior to kick off? And this season there is an expansion to go to 92 scholarships depending on the number of guys who transferred out. I believe that if you are within this 92, playing time will not be limited even if a player signs after May1 and before the 2023 season kicks off if a player is properly enrolled? But I bow to your take if you have a better handle on this situation. It seems that we are in a day of, 'rules, we don't need no stinking rules.'

One thing I do know with certainty no matter the sport you can enter the portal whenever you so desire. Of course, when you do so enter the portal your scholarship can be taken away. The CFB coaches among others want a limited time period when players can declare for the portal and I understand their position. I think a limited time frame will come about once the NCAA Transition Committee has made its recommendations and same are approved.

I think this entire subject would be a great one David, for you to tackle in one of your excellent and well researched articles.

On 2/4/2022 at 11:37 AM, Jon Joseph said:

IMO, Overrated - 5 SEC W teams in the top 25? Don't these teams have to play one another?

Jon, I'm not telling you anything you don't know here. Having all of the SEC W teams start in the top 25 is just how the narrative has been constructed, It's great to start this way, and the best thing is all the games work out to either be a quality win, or a good loss, keeping them all highly ranked. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 12:58 PM, Steven A said:

I believe 24/7 all sports.  But some sports are so limited in scholarships, that only partials are given to most recruits.  

Football, and both bball teams (m + w) are the only sports that can give full ride schollies. All others give partials. 

That seems a bit unfair and I expect that to be the next wall to be knocked down in college sports.

Edited by DanLduck

On 2/4/2022 at 5:11 PM, 30Duck said:

Jon, I'm not telling you anything you don't know here. Having all of the SEC W teams start in the top 25 is just how the narrative has been constructed, It's great to start this way, and the best thing is all the games work out to either be a quality win, or a good loss, keeping them all highly ranked. 

And of course, if a highly ranked SEC team loses to another highly ranked SEC team it drops the losing team 1 or 2 spots. Compare with a loss by a ranked Pac-12 team to another ranked Pac-12 team. That is, when there is an opportunity to so compare.

On 2/4/2022 at 5:23 PM, DanLduck said:

Football, and both bball teams (m + w) are the only sports that can give full ride schollies. All others give partials. 

That seems a bit unfair and I expect that to be the next wall to be knocked down in college sports.

$. CFB and CBB do not make enough money to fully endow the non-revenue scholarship sports. 

On 2/4/2022 at 5:40 PM, Jon Joseph said:

$. CFB and CBB do not make enough money to fully endow the non-revenue scholarship sports. 

I totally agree. But the decisions being made these days aren't necessarily logical.

NIL is a start for the other sports, but not enough I think.

In these days of equity and equality, why wouldn't they force more schollies on other sports; track, softball, baseball, water polo🤣, (just kidding).

If football goes super league and trans folks keep taking girl's spots, we will lose a lot of sports anyway.

The difference as I understand it is the schools have nothing to do with NIL. 

They can't make them do anything and it won't be any part of the Athletic Department. They pay for any costs of all the sports.

What they don't want is the players to be employees. Profit sharing, SS, matching taxes, health care, injury insurance etc. Thats the thing that will kill most of all the other sports the schools offer. There's not enough money to go around.

• Thumbs Up 1